When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advice - Gen DRSD parts value?

M5Man

So I'm poking around on the net today and I come across this:

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?a...&mo=auction

The guy is selling it as a gen 1570 movement, gen crown and tube, gen tropic 39 (Not SD) the rest aftermarket. I can get it for $3500. Are the parts worth that if I can verify their authenticity? What would you guys do?

Edited by M5Man

Phong must be feeling the recession. He sells these from his website. If he is willing to sell it for $3,500 that is certainly better than his usual price, which is outrageously inflated. The movements are usually genuine (or modded gens) & he does use a number of gen parts. But, until you receive the watch (and even then), it is impossible to tell exactly what is gen, what is modded aftermarket (made to look gen) & what is aftermarket since he sells everything as gen.

I can tell you that the 1570 movements can be had for around $1,400 +/-, the aftermarket case for another $1,200 or so & the remaining parts for another $300-$400. If you do not want to have to search & construct the watch yourself, it is probably a good deal for $3,500.....assuming you are getting what he is describing.

My advice is of the wide berth, 10-foot bargepole variety.

The movt is the only thing there of inherent value (and even that less than half of total) - who knows what condition it is in or what rusted POS was the organ donor?

I find it increasingly bizarre more and more people willing to pay this kind of money for the 'idea' of having something original, rare and valuable when the reality is anything but. The value of a Franken should be made up of the sum of its parts, nothing more. Not much difference here between those scammed for $1000 for a $200 Sub IMO.

You'd be better off using that two and quarter grand (sterling) and sinking into something worthwhile and original, maybe a decent 5513 or similar.

Thanks guys - I was thinking the 1570's were worth a bunch more than that and that it was some kind of a steal. My thought was not to wear it as is but to part it out. I appreciate the heads up!