When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Croc strap for my Breitling Evolution

jkerouac

(Truth in advertising: This is a cross post from the Other Dealers Trade Review Section)

For some time now I felt that none of my straps, and not even the Breitling bracelet that came with my BCE, did this watch justice. Crocodile was clearly the way to go, but whose crocodile? Not the genuine Breitling crocodile, I decided, because those can cost as much as the rep itself. And a cheap croc strap looks just like that -- cheap.

I finally settled on the Dunthorp Aviator Crocodile strap from Watch Prince.

I placed my order... just a bit more than 24 hours ago.

I didn't check for confirmation right away (I had some other things I needed to do), but about half an hour later I checked and there was the confirmation e-mail -- and a second e-mail (with tracking number) indicating that my order had shipped.

OK, we've probably all received tracking numbers from dealers who didn't actually ship the product for one or two days after e-mailing the tracking number. It's easy enough to do. And I wasn't in a huge rush to receive the new strap.

But this a.m. I decided to test the tracking number..... and lo and behold, the tracking information indicated that I should expect delivery today.

I should mention that Watch Prince offers free shipping on orders over $75, which I decided to take advantage of. I wasn't in a hurry, so why pay extra for second day or overnight service?

I should also mention that I live in Seattle and Watch Prince is located in Portland, so it would be almost more work for UPS to delay shipment than to deliver quickly.

In any case, at 10:30 this a.m., the man in brown came to my door with my new strap, approximately 18 hours after I placed my free shipping order.

And it's a beauty. Here are some pics.

img0044ef2.jpg

img0047fk9.jpg

What can I say? I am incredibly impressed both with the strap and with the service I received from Watch Prince. And my BCE finally has a strap that truly does it justice.

I believe that the photo not justice to the strap.

A real crocodile is difficult to make through pictures, especially if the colors are dark.

Its color is not uniform like the leather "crocstamp" that appears bright.

It's possible have a pics of the back? I would be curious to know if it is actually produced in Italy.

Thanks

Edited by MAHLER

Straps, like women, are a very personal choice. However, I have to agree with some of the folks above that the rep strap looks better. The reason is that the WatchPrince strap is a bit too dressy for the sporty BCE. The Breitling strap, with it's bigger croc pattern and thick white stitching, is more casual...

But don't sweat it Jack! Your choice is great too...

Beany

Thanks Beany. I'm not sweating anything.

But is the Watch Prince strap too cheap or too dressy looking? I certainly have my share of cheap straps, both leather and simulated crocodile, and this one does not fall into that category. Sorry if my pictures don't do the setup justice. I happen to think it looks great.

I could say that watches with diamonds or certain popular rep models look cheap, but that's just my opinion and if someone else likes them and feels good wearing them, then more power to you.

As for deployant vs. regular buckle, yes deployants are more "elegant," but buckles can more easily be loosened in hot weather.

In any case, I probably wouldn't have posted regarding an even as mundane as the arrival of a new strap (I'd probably have another 30 posts on my tally if I did). But the speed of delivery, combined with a strap that in my eye really complements the watch it is paired with, led me to share my enthusiasm.

Mahler, I may be able to take some pictures of the back late today or tomorrow.

Cheers.

I don't think the Watch Prince strap looks cheap at all. As a matter of fact, I am going to buy one in black for a Patek rep of mine, on which I think it will look great. I presume it's real crocodile, but if it isn't, then it looks damn good. I for one am not wedded to having "real" crocodile or alligator straps. And I will share with RWG a method using some leather stuff that can make a fake Breitling crocodile strap look pretty darn close to the real thing.

Good luck and enjoy your watch!

Beany

Thanks Beany. I'm not sweating anything.

But is the Watch Prince strap too cheap or too dressy looking? I certainly have my share of cheap straps, both leather and simulated crocodile, and this one does not fall into that category. Sorry if my pictures don't do the setup justice. I happen to think it looks great.

I could say that watches with diamonds or certain popular rep models look cheap, but that's just my opinion and if someone else likes them and feels good wearing them, then more power to you.

As for deployant vs. regular buckle, yes deployants are more "elegant," but buckles can more easily be loosened in hot weather.

In any case, I probably wouldn't have posted regarding an even as mundane as the arrival of a new strap (I'd probably have another 30 posts on my tally if I did). But the speed of delivery, combined with a strap that in my eye really complements the watch it is paired with, led me to share my enthusiasm.

Mahler, I may be able to take some pictures of the back late today or tomorrow.

Cheers.

I would say go for croc rep. I have done side by side comparison (black colour croc) between the gen and rep. The biggest tell is only Croco Veritable text on the genuine and cuir veritable on the rep. The rest (look and feel) is very very similar. I would have spent my money on the rep croc instead (plus you get a very nice deployant) for 1/5 the price.

• 4 weeks later...