When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMTII Pepsi "retro" - any owners got pictures?

bsdbm

Guys,

I am considering buying one of the Pepsi GMTII's from Josh, and am swaying toward the one he calls "retro edition" which has the lug holes; which i like.

Here's the model i am considering: http://tinyurl.com/5y99yb

Anyone on here bought this watch from Josh and have any good pictures? I have looked around and couldn't see any...

I want to see how good it is as i really love this watch, but one of the directors at work has this exact gen and i don't want to look like a mug when i am in meetings with him and possibly wearing a clone!!

Thanks

13.jpg

The "retro" GMT-Master II is a very nice replica, as By-Tor says in his review.

I got mine about two weeks ago (bought second hand from this board), and I still enjoys it very much.

Good points (in my personal opinion):

- about correct date mag

- excellent script on the dial

- best GMT-hand I have seen on a rep

- good bezel clicks

- good crown guards and crown

- solid feeling

Not so good:

- Bold date font.. (however it does not look out of place. Same boldness as the bezel numbers)

- Lug holes too far out. It looks a bit strange to have them at the end of the lugs, too little metal surrounding them. About 1mm too far out compared to the gen.

- "F-serial number" which I belive is incorrect for the version with lug holes and solid end llinks bracelet. But, this is really a minor "flaw".

In short, highly recommended! :)

I would be careful to wear it in a meeting with my boss though, if he had a gen.. I would have been worried that he would like to have closer look at it.

DSC_4553.jpg

do yourself a faver and get the "noob" version.

i think andrew has it.

i had both - the retro and noob.

the noob is 1000x better (rehaut, cyclops, datefont, datewheel, bracelet ect. are all better on the noob)

cheers,

Frank

Noob version can be modified to almost perfect (visually).

But in otb condition it has:

-Bad crown

-Bad bezel with dull teeth

-Bad insert

-Bad crown guards

-Way too thick GMT hand with oversized triangle (only on the wrong hand stack version)

But yeah, if you invest some time and money to modify it, the result is amazing (even though I say it myself). I have 2 of them.

Retro is a nice rep though. The biggest flaw is the lack of rehaut thickness (imho). It looks wrong from the front view.

Some photos I've taken of them:

Retro and Noob (heavy mods).

Happy hunting!

I am a total newbie and have never ever opened a watch let alone modded one! I would have no idea and have no skills.

I want an out of the box solution or do people sell modified ones?

Also, I can't find where i can buy the one referred to as the "noob" version - can anyone point me in the right direction???

Thanks

Also, I can't find where i can buy the one referred to as the "noob" version - can anyone point me in the right direction???

bklm1234 sells the modified version, and Andrew (Trustywatchguy) sells the unmodified one.

Read my GMT reviews from my section for starters. Good luck.

Yeah it can get confusing when you have several versions each with their own positives and negatives. However it seems that the Noob version is probably the best one to go for, not only in terms of replication accuracy, but the quality is also supposed to be better. However as By-Tor mentions in his guide, the Noob version unmodified while not bad, has several flaws, however when its modified its the most accurate GMTII...

I'm looking for a noob GMTII which has a asian 21J movement. I don't buy ETA reps as firstly I can't afford to, and secondly I don't see the point in paying $100 extra for a smoother sweep <_<

Which is the noob version - there are so many! Aaarrrghhh - direct link would be ideal...

Thanks

I recommend buying it from bklm1234. It gets new bezel and cg mods (which are both essential mods):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=75311

I recommend buying it from bklm1234. It gets new bezel and cg mods (which are both essential mods):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=75311

Thanks By-Tor, I have PM'd him through this site - is this the best thing to do? I don't have his email address and couldn't see it on his profile?

With regard to movements, I don't know anything as i am a newbie, but the watches i buy i intend to keep so i am happy to pay a little extra for a Swiss movement, especially if this also sweeps more correctly and keeps time better?? Keeping time is the main thing for me - after all, isn't that what a watch is for?!? :)

Finally, as people have said above, there are so many versions available from the big sellers (Andrew, Josh etc) on the web; I still don't know which is the "noob"??? A simple direct link from anyone would be great!

Edited by bsdbm