When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cell Phone; Computer Time

lanikai

anyone know why the time on cell phones and computers would be inconsistent..??

this week especially both units have been off by as much as 7 minutes at any given time..

I thought my reps were failing.. but several have had the same time consistantly (these are Ziggy's serviced pieces) and I set them through my cell phone .. so obviously the cell phone time was in error... anyone know why ??

just curious..

Hmm... well on most cell. phones you can set the optioins to either manual time setting or via the network. Obviously, the network setting would probably be more accurate unless your source is better than your cell carrier's. Also, you can manually set the time for your computer under BIOS setting. Hope that helps lan.

Hmm... well on most cell. phones you can set the options to either manual time setting or via the network. Obviously, the network setting would probably be more accurate unless your source is better than your cell carrier's. Also, you can manually set the time for your computer under BIOS setting. Hope that helps LAN.

just rebooted my blackberry phone.. seems like i didn't receive my email for today either.. I got them on my computer, then after rebooting the blackberry .. I got all of them.... it could be "dead zones" along my travel route.. they recommend turning the unit off once a day to accept the "upgrades" .. i never do this .. it is on 24/7 .. that could be a concern... mmm I shouldn't ponder over it too much.. but then there's the issue of the computer..hope I'm not headed to the dreaded... "Bad watch karma" :p

think it could be the obsessive compulsive trait we have ??? :rolleyes:

thanks Z....

just rebooted my blackberry phone.. seems like i didn't recieve my email for today either.. Igot them on my conputer.. it could be "dead zones" along my travel route.. they reccomend turning the unit off once a day to accept the "upgrades" .. i never do this .. it is on 24/7 .. that could be a concern... mmm I shouldn't ponder over it too much..

think it could be the obbsessive compulisve trait we have ??? :rolleyes:

thanks Z....

Can't argue that lan. I'm the type that's already ruined 2 reps by "thinking" I could get that invisible spec of lint out from under the crystal. :( OCD? Yeah... no comment.

Guest avitt

As Ztech mentioned, you can set up your phone to update time from the network, or keep its own clock. However, in my experience, when the phone is set up to update time from the network, there can still be variability of up to several seconds from one site to another. This is unacceptable on CDMA networks (Verizon or Sprint), because intercell timing must be synchronized in order to hand off from site to site. The timing is not as critical on GSM networks. What causes the variability in timing? I'm only speculating, but it could be caused by different propagation delays between the cells and a central timing source .

This doesn't explain a difference of 7 minute though.

Your most accurate time source would be a GPS, if you have one available. Second most accurate would be a CDMA phone. Third would be your PC, if it has been set up to automatically synchronize with a NTP server. (In that case, the error would not be more than the delay from the internet time server, which is typically less than a few hundred milliseconds).

I think it might have something to do with the fact that he is in Hawaii....GPS may not work well in Hawaii either....

My cell phone is spot on....almost perfectly in sync with my atomic clock....im on the mainland....

BTW....an atomc clock will not work in Hawaii either....it is too far away from Fort Collins Colorado where the clock is located....

I think the best choic for Lanikai is to get his hands on a Short Wave radio and tune into the Pacific Standard Time channel....all it does is tell the time all year long....it will always be 100% correct....he will just have to subtract a few hours for the time difference in Hawaii....