When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I am Jack's raging bile duct

tenacious_b

I feel silly posting this, but I thought it noteworthy, for a couple of reasons, and was wondering if I was alone in my misery. I have 3 times missed the opportunity to buy this watch, not for lack of funds, but just timing. I have never wanted a watch this badly. I don't even really like rolexes. I had a SSD, but I sold it, and I'll admit I regretted it a little...a little. But this watch, I want it so badly it's making me sick. I have been thinking about it obsessively. I know that's not healthy, but hey neither is devoting a good portion of my free time to an illegal hobby.

My questions are:

1. Is anyone else feeling this?

2. Am I / Are we feeling this because it's just such a kick@$$ watch, or are we falling victim to this bullschnidt marketing ploy being put upon us by the dealers / manufacturers?

Bryan

I don't really understand the appeal behind this watch... yes, it may be a pretty accurate Rolex rep, but the lack of AR on the cyclops is a pretty huge tell and definitely contributes to my amazement in wondering how people can get so excited over this $400 rep when a noobmariner pretty much does the same thing just as effectively on the cheap...

But I'm really just as nuts... buying a new version MBK Aquanaut just because I love Patek Philippe... probably just as crazy for some people!

I'm with you on this. I think I'd like to pick one up but just haven't managed to get in on any of the batches that they have offered. Now I'm reading that there will be more. That the next batch might be different or a different mvt, etc. Maybe it's just me but being that I have correct handstack EXP II's and a GMT I'm just not willing to buy out of the next batch if they aren't CHS ones. Will anyone else know or notice no probably not but I will everytime I put it on.

At the risk of appearing self-serving since I got my order in in just the nick of time, and after giving it a bit more thought I think I figured out what the attraction is for this new watch. Actually, attractions. For 1 thing, this is the 1st Rolex rep in my experience that does not have ANY glaring or obvious mistakes that undo its otherwise competent design. Anywhere (at least, according to the hand full of new owners & from what I gather from the growing number of posted pictures). Second, & this is where the self-serving part comes into play, alot of the hype around this admittedly extraordinarily well done rep has been self-generated by the buyers & owners themselves. Myself included.

So there you have it -- a super rep of 1 of the most popular new (and larger) Rolex designs in over a decade, a rep that is highly accurate & constructed with great attention to detail, in limited supply & available only (to date) from a limited number of sellers (2). In such a case, a legend is born.

I agree...

Everone want's this watch....

Will there be more? I will quarantee there

will be as many as can be sold...

It's new....It's large....It's closely accurate!

I want one...Except I hear they will be fixing

the bezel clicks to the proper number soon!

IMHO, I have been playing here for a few

years now....And I feel it's better for 2nd or

3rd generation watces ..

Personally ...I think these will only get better... ;)

Just another opinion...and we know about those!

-MMr

Funny this.

I was on-line and noticed, an hour after the announcement, that the watch was for sale. I immediately ordered it and got one of the 1st run. If I had be doing something "normal" I would have been reading about the watch with everyone else.

Can't say enough for it. It's a great watch, replica or not.

I missed out on this opportunity too, and am optimistic there will be more available, it just makes economic sense for dealers/rep makers, so I'm not obsessing.

I just love that ceramic bezel, gives the watch a whole new dimension.

There are several watches I really want right now and have been obsessing over lately: GMT II, Concord C1, and RG Ceramic HBB. I have to wait on all due to finances. I am working on my girlfriend hinting about my birthday in September. She told me last year she wouldn't buy me a shirt, a watch or a pair of shoes because I have so many already. Out of the blue she brought me home 2 Nat Nast's from Costco of all places.. Seeig that I have more shirts than watches a new watch may be closer than I think....

when a noobmariner pretty much does the same thing just as effectively on the cheap...

Actually a $5 digital does the same thing as the noobmariner so why doesn't everyone just wear $5 digitals?

Well, I am relieved to see that I am not the only one with a profound crush on this watch. Whew!

Yeah, I'm also going freaki'n nuts waiting for new stock to come in. I very much like the watch, but I wouldn't be this stoked over the thing if it wasn't so accurate. I've been drooling on AD display cases for many months now, flirting with this watch as the AD salespeople think they're making a sale. When I was in Las Vegas last month I must have visited a dozen rolex retailers, trying on this watch and comparing it to the gen sub on my wrist. To my taste, it just makes the current sub and gmt models look obsolete with their less substantial and thinner bezel inserts, small hour markers and hands, hollow center links, and cheaper clasps, not to mention the case size and angular transition from lug to crown guards.

The only thing I don't like about it is that Rolex made the bracelet thinner. Josh says he is expecting new inventory with "incorrect" hand stack and also some with asian movements, but he doesn't know when he is getting them.

Edited by jnkay

Funny this.

I was on-line and noticed, an hour after the announcement, that the watch was for sale. I immediately ordered it and got one of the 1st run. If I had be doing something "normal" I would have been reading about the watch with everyone else.

Can't say enough for it. It's a great watch, replica or not.

Did you get the mechanical issue sorted out?

I don't really understand the appeal behind this watch... yes, it may be a pretty accurate Rolex rep, but the lack of AR on the cyclops is a pretty huge tell and definitely contributes to my amazement in wondering how people can get so excited over this $400 rep when a noobmariner pretty much does the same thing just as effectively on the cheap...

Well aren't you just a warm and fuzzy specimen :mellow:

Lack of AR being an obvious tell? Pfff, keep telling yourself that if it stops you grinding your teeth at night. Nowhere near as obvious as the crappy datefont (unless you have one of those DWs) and grossly inaccurate running second hand on your beloved Nautilus though ;)

Like a gen crown/tube, ARing the cyclops (and it is possible and will be available soon) will make the 116710 a 'perfect' rep so to speak.