When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW's a few thoughts

ShawnBeever

I have only been into reps for a couple of years, but it struck me today what significant improvements there has been on the MBW range of watches. Although these improvements seam to have gone largely un -commented.

In 2006 it soon became apparent to me that the only way to get a passable Rolex rep was to mod. a vintage MBW.

So I got hold of (in chronological order) 1665 DR, 1680 red, 5513, 1665, 1016 and my latest 1665 GW a few months ago. My modding has improved along with the quality of the watches.

In the last couple of years it seams that the HEV’s are now actually a real plug rather than a stamping on the side of the case that you can’t polish off, don’t ask me how I know.

The date wheel font is now bolder and accurate and nearly acceptable although I still have to wear my 5513 when the date has a Three in it.

The 1665 GW case back is now correct

The 5512 dial has just been improved (see Eurotimez).

I now hold out hope that I will one day be able to by a non ‘Polex’ MBW with the correct lug holes and CG’s.

I wonder if this has partly been brought about by competition from the Noobmariner which must have hit MBW sales, as it now possible to buy a decent Sub for $100 which makes a $400 MBW seam very expensive.

A few Gratuitous shots of past MBW’s. The one on the right is a gen.

MBW1665pearl004copy.jpg

MBW5513004.jpg

1680007-1.jpg