When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Important info for all new CHS GMTIIc owners!

By-Tor

I've read some bad reports from the independently adjustable hour hand from the RepGeeks members. So it looks like they still use the bad transfer hour hand gear, which is very fragile. I don't know this for certain, but so it seems... all problem reports sound so very familiar.

I've owned 4 of these chs watches over the years so I know what I'm talking about. I don't have any technical knowledge, but I speak from the experience. I just want to share what I know, so the members won't f*ck up their nice reps.

Two important things:

1. DO NOT PLAY WITH THE INDEPENDENTLY ADJUSTABLE HOUR HAND!

Never. I can't stress this enough... always set the time from the hack position, and use the GMT function from the bezel (if you need it). All problems with this particular movement are due to this bad gear, and if you don't touch the independent hour hand, you probably won't "wear it out". Your watch has a rotating bezel which alone is perfect to track the 2nd timezone... you don't actually need the adjustable hour hand for anything. It's just a handy tool, but not necessary for the GMT function. If you follow this rule you probably don't have to read the part 2.

2. HOUR HAND OUT OF SYNC

You have wibbled and wobbled your new cool hour hand a lot (and worn out the gear)... or received a watch that had the bad gear from the getgo. Now your hour hand gets out of sync all the time, and it's not "following" the minute hand.

You have two alternatives: Send the watch back to the dealer and pray that your next watch is better.

The second option is this: Go to the hour hand setup position (pos 2 from the crown). When you have the hour hand in the desired position (synced with the minute hand), go to the hack position and ROLL THE MINUTE HAND AROUND THE DIAL FOR 24-48 HOURS! Lots of rolling, yes, but for some weird reason this works: It puts the hour hand back in sync and somehow "attachs" it again. It has always worked for me and bklm1234. After you're finished of rolling, DO NOT TOUCH IT AGAIN, AND ALWAYS SET THE TIME FROM THE HACK POSITION ONLY!!! (this advice is always valid, never, ever play with it).

This, of course, won't fix the bad gear, but it's a "workaround" of some kind.

3 of my previous chs movements have been absolutely perfect, but 1 has the issue of "loose" hour hand. I "fixed" the problem exactly the way I described (heard this trick from my friend bklm), and my watch has been perfectly in sync for months. No problems at all.

Once again, here is Ziggy's report/review of this movement modification. It's of the old version, but looks like everything he wrote is still valid for the new movement as well.

Hope this helps! Keep the reports coming!

Guest carlsbadrolex

You guys scare the hell out of me some times. I am going to set mine with both the GMT hands and the hour hands to my local time and put them on winders and leave them there. These things are rather pricey reps to screw up trying to set the damn time!

Don't the new ones have the incorrect hand stack? That modified version of the 2836 (24 hour hand on the bottom) has been around since before i got into reps, so well over 3 years. I don't remember reading too many posts about them failing.

Hmmm..... info I could have used before I got my watch.

Here's another tip. If the watches stops running despite being well charged, run the hands through several days worth of revolutions. Josh says this "clears the needles", whatever that means. It works, though.

Also, mine doesn't seem to like the winder. It was running +2 seconds a day all week. I put it on the winder Thurs-Sun. I put it on this morning and noticed it had picked up 2 minutes. After resetting the time it stopping running and could not be restarted until I did as Josh said.

I will definitely not be fiddling with the hour hand.

Hmmm..... info I could have used before I got my watch.

I didn't want to make any kind of statements because I wasn't sure if these old problems still existed. Angus said the movement was going to be new and "better", so I thought they would have addressed these known issues.

It seems that this wasn't the case.

I posted about my experiences about the old chs movement in the threads though... many times.

Getting this watch with wrong hand stack Asian movement seems to be the most reasonable option (if it's a high beat movement).

I agree, the rep is excellent. I'm still not sure whether I like the watch or not.

Hopefully Eurotimez sends me one for a review (with an option to buy). :)

I actually getting a sample soon from the factory, I'm not sure wheter I have to buy them in BULK or not. If I can get my hands on quite a few of them I'll ship them to you BY-TOR... I got something already on its way to you actually :p

Because Factory was selling only in bulk and damn they're expensive. I think I would opt for the incorrect-handstack version --- no hassling around with the movement and besides that if you can't use the GMT-hand / Hour-hand like By-Tor says, then whats the use if its at a "correct position" and the hour-hand can jump from hour to hour but you CAN'T TOUCH it! A couple of years ago I used to have access to the CHS GMT-2 but I stopped selling them --was selling offboard-- because they failed when you tried using the functions the way the gen works...

I would stick to By-Tor suggestion as I handled quite alot of CHS version a few years ago and they brake down with ease.

I know this can be a must for some ppl, but I don't think I would like to deal with the return-defect ones of mis-use or of general use...

We will see, maybe I will offer them both CHS and IHS...

Edited by EuroTimez