When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question: GMTII-C Incorrect Hand Stack, Asian

savage_here

Just got it yesterday and I have issues. Need a sounding board to see if it needs to go back.

Got it in yesterday and used the "Nightstroker" technique below to set date/time/GMT (found in another thread):

Here is how I set my GMT....

1. Lets assume that todays date is the 15th....(Which it is)

2. With the crown....set the date on your watch to the 13th....

3. With the crown....now rotate the hour and minute hands untill the date changes to the 14th....

4. Continue to rotate the hour and minute hands untill the time reads 12:00 PM....and leave those hands directly lined up at the 12:00 position

5. Now....adjust the GMT hand to the correct position that corresponds to 12:00 PM....in other words....set the GMT hand to 12 on the bezel....(Which is located at 6:00)

6. Now....pull the crown back out to adjust the hour and minute hand and advance the hands to 12:00 AM....

When you complete step 6....the hour, minute and GMT hand will all be synchronized at 12:00 AM and the date will change to the 15th....

Seemed to work fine and I wore it most of the afternoon and evening.

Took it off at bedtime and left it until morning (no winder). When I woke up this morning, it had stopped prior to midnight and the date (obviously) hadn't changed. So, I thought, well, maybe not enough wrist time to get a power reserve built up. No big deal, I'll wear it today and see what happens.

When resetting it for the correct time, the date behaved strangely. It didn't change at midnight and it didn't seem to change at the GMT 24 mark either. OK, again, very strange, but whatever. I used the above method again and set time/date/gmt.

Wore it all day and it seemed to be doing just fine. However at about 3:20 I looked down at the watch on my wrist and it said 3:01. But, the second hand was still moving. I reset the time again and it seems to be keeping time again now.

So, does this sound like a normal problem or something stranger? Should I just get on the horn w/ Josh now and make arrangements for another to be shipped out? Or, am I doing something incorrectly?

Opinions please.

Thanks.

Savage

Just got it yesterday and I have issues. Need a sounding board to see if it needs to go back.

Got it in yesterday and used the "Nightstroker" technique below to set date/time/GMT (found in another thread):

Here is how I set my GMT....

1. Lets assume that todays date is the 15th....(Which it is)

2. With the crown....set the date on your watch to the 13th....

3. With the crown....now rotate the hour and minute hands untill the date changes to the 14th....

4. Continue to rotate the hour and minute hands untill the time reads 12:00 PM....and leave those hands directly lined up at the 12:00 position

5. Now....adjust the GMT hand to the correct position that corresponds to 12:00 PM....in other words....set the GMT hand to 12 on the bezel....(Which is located at 6:00)

6. Now....pull the crown back out to adjust the hour and minute hand and advance the hands to 12:00 AM....

When you complete step 6....the hour, minute and GMT hand will all be synchronized at 12:00 AM and the date will change to the 15th....

Seemed to work fine and I wore it most of the afternoon and evening.

Took it off at bedtime and left it until morning (no winder). When I woke up this morning, it had stopped prior to midnight and the date (obviously) hadn't changed. So, I thought, well, maybe not enough wrist time to get a power reserve built up. No big deal, I'll wear it today and see what happens.

When resetting it for the correct time, the date behaved strangely. It didn't change at midnight and it didn't seem to change at the GMT 24 mark either. OK, again, very strange, but whatever. I used the above method again and set time/date/gmt.

Wore it all day and it seemed to be doing just fine. However at about 3:20 I looked down at the watch on my wrist and it said 3:01. But, the second hand was still moving. I reset the time again and it seems to be keeping time again now.

So, does this sound like a normal problem or something stranger? Should I just get on the horn w/ Josh now and make arrangements for another to be shipped out? Or, am I doing something incorrectly?

I assume that AFTER step 6 you are setting the hour and minute hands to the CORRECT time? I would start by giving the watch a good winding. Do this slowly since in general its not the best thing to do with an automatic movement. Give it a nice slow 30-40 turns. Set the watch, wear it all day and monitor the time. It you see any issue at that point I would contact Joshua. I can tell you that these Asian movements are not the best....add to that multiple gears to make the GMT function and I really would expect issues. Your best bet would be to get the WHS ETA since that movement is generally a good one.

don't know jf ... maybe this is another galaxy... :lol: .. I'm stuck on the 12th here on our little Pacific Rock... B)

But you guys in Hawaii are, well, mellowwwwwwwwwwwwwww :thumbsupsmileyanim:

BTW, I'd send it back.

Edited by jmt

So, just as a clarification, the post about how to set the watch was some time ago (I think in April). It wasn't in reference to this very watch, but another watch with an incorrect hand stack gmt.

The watch ran fine today, but just now (at 8:54 local time) I looked down and it's dead stopped at 8:44pm. The second hand is stopped at 33min. past the hour. The GMT hand is at 21.

I've taken a good look (under magnification) and it does not look like the hands are stuck on each other or on the dial or anything like that.

Here's Josh's response:

Too confusing .. Line all the hands to 12.00.. Move thru a few revs...... Make sure the GMT hand is in sync.. When you decide to stop.. move one more round to 4.30pm.. Quickset the date.. then move back to set the correct time.. Avoid doing quick change on the dot of 12.00 .. It will stress the centre wheels.

if the watch is stopping ..observe the needles. see if it is locking at some points.. Wind thru the needles many revs will help.

Savage

Update #2, I did as Joshua suggested and here is the result:

The GMT hand tracks correctly with the turning of the hour hand (i.e. 1 revolution every 24 hours). But, the date is really messed up. Here’s how it went.

First 24 hour revolution, Date changed at Midnight

Second, Date changed at approx. 3am

Third, Date changed at Midnight

Fourth, Date changed at 11:50pm

Fifth, Date changed at 7am, but only

Edited by freddy333

This is what I do with every new watch --

Manually wind it 40 turns and check all of the watch's functions -- in this case, pull the crown out to each stop on the stem & BRIEFLY check each function. Do not play with the functions or try to stess-test them. Then set the time & date to your current time & set the watch down on a table & leave it there for up to 2 days. Do not move it.

If the watch keeps satisfactory time (& the date changes around midnight +/- 5 minutes) for at least 38 hours, put it on & enjoy it. If there is a problem, send it back.

Since you have not done this yet, I would recommend trying this procedure before returning the watch.

I wasn't really trying to "stress test" it, I was just doing as Josh instructed and noting the date change with each revolution.

I will do as you've suggested and see what happens. Just seems extremely odd to have a watch that you've worn all day long stop that night. Not sure what leaving it alone for 2 days flat on it's back will do to solve that issue. But, I'm a newbie with GMT's, so I'll defer.

Thanks for the responses. Fingers crossed.

Savage

Just seems extremely odd to have a watch that you've worn all day long stop that night.

Some disagree with me on this, but wearing a mechanical watch without first giving it a manual wind of 40 turns is not likely to fully charge the mainspring. Without a full charge & unless you lead a very active day (with your wrist in near-constant winding motion), it does not surprise me that your watch would stop running. Of course, there could also be mechanical problems, but since insufficient winding is an easy thing to check, that is why I recommended it. If the watch stops in less than about 38 hours after a full wind & then sitting idle, I would send it back.