When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello. Time to start my "proper" rep collection. With a SMP!

mars08

Looks like I've got a new hobby in never knew existed!!!

I recently spent a few days is Malaysia with my daughter and we picked up 2 (cheap) reps each. My watches (TAG Carrera and a SMP Coaxial GMT) cost less than $40 each. The SMP Coaxiial has a power reserve of about 10 minutes. HA!

I wish I'd known about forums such as this before I spent my money. I now realise I was shopping with my eyes closed.

But apparently now I'm addicted. I've seen what's out there and I want more.

I have to start my collection at the bargain end, but with what seems to be a popular "classic" rep AND a stunner. I'm looking for a SMP 2531.80 rep with blue dial.

After a few days research, I've found two which LOOK interesting:

http://www.idolreplicas.com/omega-seamaste...tch--12639.html

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1319

Obviously this is a passtime which involves deception, so can I trust the photos on these sites to be true? Based on all the reading I've done in this forum and the WWW, both these items seem to be fairly accurate reps. Maybe.

I'd hate to start my proper collection by being burned.

Opinions. Please?

(I've also posted this at replica-watches-guide.com)

Welcome to the forum :)

Nice choice, you can't go wrong with the Bond SMP!

I've owned the idolreplicas one (though it wasn't purchased from him) but many have bought from him, he's a safe dealer. The Silix version, though more expensive, I've been told is one of the most accurate SMP's available. It beats at 28,800 bph (smooth sweep), it has the more accurate dial, bezel and the bracelet is better. Even though most dealers advertize their watches with 'swiss ETA' movements, we've been finding that some of them are in fact ETA clones, (or copies) so bear this in mind if you decide to purchase the Silix version.

Most ETA clones are well made according to what I've read and the only problem with them really is replacement parts should anything go wrong, or perhaps servicing the movement.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by DemonSlayer

I've owned the idolreplicas one (though it wasn't purchased from him) but many have bought from him, he's a safe dealer.

Appreciate the quick reply.

Being new to this stuff, I'm wondering how you can tell that you've bought an idolreplicas watch if you got it somewhere else. I'm not questioning what you say, it's just that I'd imagine that the rep dealers would have a list of suppliers and not produce their own watches. But I'm not a watchmaker so I can only assume (not always a good move) there aren't that many manufacturers. Once again... not doubting, just curious.

I'd also like to know the chances of getting the reps which ARE DISPLAYED on the individual dealer's web site.

I think I can spot the more obvious Seamaster 2531.80 physical features, and the two watches I've listed LOOK to be good reps for the price. How certain can I be that the the photos show what will actually be delivered?

No problem man! :)

The one on idolreplicas, theres one particular factory who makes that one. A dealer named WBK sells it on the other boards and its popularly known as the 'WBK SMP'

The immediate tell on this one is the green colored lume (inaccurate) and the text "300m/ 1000ft" is oversized. This rep is popular as a beginner SMP and many own one. It is very good for the price (WBK sells them for $100) and as is the case with most reps, only watch enthusiasts will be able to spot flaws with any rep, most will pass as gens to common folks, including this one :)

The Silix one, I have seen it in pictures other members have posted here, and a forum friend who owns a gen has told me it is VERY GOOD. So if you are after more accuracy, and the smooth sweeping hand (28,800 bph) go for the Silix one IMO. However be prepared to accept that the movement might not be Swiss ETA as advertized, but either a clone movement or a hybrid movement using asian and ETA parts.

"The immediate tell on this one is the green colored lume (inaccurate) and the text "300m/ 1000ft" is oversized..."

Good Grief! That's great!

I just compared the idol pics with the gen (www.omega-addict.com/reviews/seamaster/) and it's so obvious. Now that I know.

That's the sort of thing that makes me want to get both reps. Subtle variations that AREN'T so subtle when you know. Outstanding.

Sorry to repeat myself but... how confident can I be that the the photos show what will actually be delivered?

Thanks again.

A forum friend of mine who has bought several watches from Idolreplicas has been very satisfied with his service, and speaks very good of him. Most of the watches he received were exactly as pictured, and the ones which had problems etc. he was able to return them for a refund or exchange with no problems whatsoever.

I would recommend Idolreplicas based on this, and several other happy customers here have praised Idolreplicas. I would be very confident to say that is the Omega SMP you will receive (its a common SMP rep IMO and not difficult to get hold of).

The Silix one is the more accurate version, and from what I've seen in the pictures, well made too.

Read up on postings by "By-Tor"

he is the Omega expert here. I'd spend at least a week reading up and researching and you'll make a more informed decision.

Thanks for the advice. I've been seriously searching the WWW and reading for a few days and already read the By-Tor's Omega guide and a few of his posts. I've also read a few reviews of the gen. Have I missed something big?

Have I missed something big?

Don't know really. I've been on these boards for about 4 years and I learn something new all the time. The SMP is a great starter watch. In fact, getting that one first may not be a good idea since it's so good and every other future purchase will be compared to that one. :lol:

Thanks for the advice. I've been seriously searching the WWW and reading for a few days and already read the By-Tor's Omega guide and a few of his posts. I've also read a few reviews of the gen. Have I missed something big?

Get the one from Silix, its way better. I had this watch from Josh, and it fell down an elevator shaft! RIP....

I've been on these boards for about 4 years and I learn something new all the time.

No doubt! I can see that this scene (and the range of reps) is HUGE. But I've got to get my feet wet sometime (a Seamaster joke, perhaps). Certainly there's a lot more to read on the subject.

I'm already eyeing my next rep... a 4th Gen PO (orange bezel). :rolleyes:

What I SHOULD be doing is sitting back, breathing and taking it slow.

No doubt! I can see that this scene (and the range of reps) is HUGE. But I've got to get my feet wet sometime (a Seamaster joke, perhaps). Certainly there's a lot more to read on the subject.

I'm already eyeing my next rep... a 4th Gen PO (orange bezel). :rolleyes:

What I SHOULD be doing is sitting back, breathing and taking it slow.

So which one did order finally ? Im in the same position and want to kick start my collection with a SMP too!!

I'm still waiting for some information from a couple of dealers, but so far it looks like Silix rep wins. Or maybe both!

Two of the same? Crazy man!

Don't blow your wad (of cash) on two of the same just yet! Have you looked at the moonwatch? Oh man I want a moonwatch. Its like a disease incubating inside of me. Growing. Festering. Shiny parts visible through a see through caseback = :wub:

3.jpg

7.jpg

Don't bother with the the WBK if you already got the Silix. I've owned both. Once you see the difference in the two you will never wear the wbk version. Of course, for the price the WBK smp is simply one of the best buys out there.

Regarding your question about the pictures, most of the trusty dealers found on this forum use pictures of the actual reps, not of gens posing as reps (which would be very ironic). That doesn't always mean what you see is what you get. The picture they posted may be an older version of a rep, where as now the rep has a different pearl or crown. Some dealers such as Ruby will take pictures of the item the ship to you before they ship it.

Wear it well.

DSC00730.jpg

Don't bother with the the WBK if you already got the Silix. I've owned both. Once you see the difference in the two you will never wear the wbk version. Of course, for the price the WBK smp is simply one of the best buys out there.

Regarding your question about the pictures, most of the trusty dealers found on this forum use pictures of the actual reps, not of gens posing as reps (which would be very ironic). That doesn't always mean what you see is what you get...

I know what you're saying spookycord, but the reasons I really want a WBK is because it IS more flawed and because it's such a great quality bargain.

On the subject of pictures... I've been fanatical about picking out the features on the gen 2531 SMP. The Silix seems very good but the photos indicate that the shoulder on the case (or whatever it's called) surrounding the crown is not bulky enough. The gen SMP has a very deeply recessed crown.

This rep (from what I can tell with my newbie eyes) LOOKS much more authentic:

http:// www.dhgate.com/p_ff80808116051c87011605c86dae4350.html#

Shame the pics aren't clear and it's not a trusted dealer.

Edited by mars08