When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of replacement Swiss 7750

davidbir

My first post in a while-I have been busy with other projects.

I finally got around to taking my beautiful rep Navitimer TT (Ruby) to my watchmaker to have the Swiss movement installed that I bought as part of a group purchase here on RWG. I was very surprised when he informed me that the Swiss movement was no better quality than the Chinese and that I would have been better off having him service the Chinese movement.

Comments?

That is pretty much already known. Service the latest Asian high beat 7750 and it should last just as well as the Swiss version and keep very accurate time.........

The two Swiss 7750 movements I purchased myself, were fully decorated, blue screw versions, of a much higher quality and finish than the standard Swiss 7750's, otherwise I would have just had the existing Asian movements serviced and regulated, which in itself can prove tricky sometimes anyway, as not many places will service replicas.....

This just shows how far the Asian movements have come in terms of quality, rather than the other way round (IE: showing that Swiss 7750's are poor, which is not true)

Anyway, I still always feel better with a Swiss movement at the heart of my watch, don't you? ^_^

Cheers! B)

swiss > asian

Any day of the week. Even serviced, one of the biggest things for me is parts availabilty. If something goes on an eta I can order the part and fix it quick. On an asian you order a new movement I suppose, but then you'd need to service that new one. This is why most smiths will work on an asian once, then never again. If for some reason something does happen, they have no way of sourcing the right replacement part. The fact that there are so many variants of the asian doesn't help things at all either.

And I'm someone with a stockpile of asian parts to have around just in case I need to fix one. But most of my keepers have etas as i know it can be repaired.

That is pretty much already known. Service the latest Asian high beat 7750 and it should last just as well as the Swiss version and keep very accurate time.........

The two Swiss 7750 movements I purchased myself, were fully decorated, blue screw versions, of a much higher quality and finish than the standard Swiss 7750's, otherwise I would have just had the existing Asian movements serviced and regulated, which in itself can prove tricky sometimes anyway, as not many places will service replicas.....

This just shows how far the Asian movements have come in terms of quality, rather than the other way round (IE: showing that Swiss 7750's are poor, which is not true)

Anyway, I still always feel better with a Swiss movement at the heart of my watch, don't you? ^_^

Cheers! B)

May I ask where you got the high quality Swiss movements and what sort of price?

Thanks, DB

I think you bought the Swiss ETA from me?

The quality of the Swiss ETA 7750 is much more superior to the Asian 7750. The Asian 7750 will do the same job and maybe/maybe not last the same length of time. But the Swiss ETA 7750 is a much better movement, the parts are better quality, with better fit and finish compared to Asian 7750, parts are readily available and generally overall a better movement. Simple check, wind an ETA 7750 and then wind an Asian 7750 you will feel the difference instantly! Swiss ETA is much smoother.

Its simple ETA 7750 is a better but movement but the Asian 7750 will do the job just as well

onto your watchmakers comment

"he informed me that the Swiss movement was no better quality than the Chinese"

This is simply not true, the Swiss is much better but the Asian will do the same job

EDIT: the reason Mickeys movement looks different is that it is has a cotes de geneve finish, its only a finish thats different, the movement is exactly the same

If by quality you are referring to the functionality of the movement, vs it's appearance, then the Asian and ETA 7750 are almost on par. And the latest versions of the Asian 7750 have certainly improved on the appearance problems of earlier versions.

I have had a number of Swiss ETA 7750's in for swaps, and many of these were old tired out movements in dire need of servicing. Most of these replacement movements showed signs of their age, the click wheel was all gummed up (when handwinding the rotor would spin around), and the pallets were gummed up and the escape wheel also covered in black gunk. A full servicing should have been done, but when the cost of the movement, the cost of the swap, and the cost of the servicing was all combined, it became very expensive, and most elected to not have it done and have me do the basics to get it running.

The fact these movements were "Swiss" meant nothing as far as their condition, the condition of the movements was awful compared to the Asian 7750. So which is better, a clean fresh Asian 7750 which may not need servicing immediatly, or a Swiss 7750 that is old and tired, has only 17 vs 25 jewels, and needs to be fully serviced before it can be placed in use...

I think this is the point of view of your watchmaker, I have seen the exact same situation a number of times.

The quality of the Asian 7750, where it counts (polishing of pivots, fitment of parts, etc) is acceptable, with regular servicing there is no reason they won't last a lifetime. And with regular servicing, parts won't need to be replaced since they won't wear out...

RG

If by quality you are referring to the functionality of the movement, vs it's appearance, then the Asian and ETA 7750 are almost on par. And the latest versions of the Asian 7750 have certainly improved on the appearance problems of earlier versions.

I have had a number of Swiss ETA 7750's in for swaps, and many of these were old tired out movements in dire need of servicing. Most of these replacement movements showed signs of their age, the click wheel was all gummed up (when handwinding the rotor would spin around), and the pallets were gummed up and the escape wheel also covered in black gunk. A full servicing should have been done, but when the cost of the movement, the cost of the swap, and the cost of the servicing was all combined, it became very expensive, and most elected to not have it done and have me do the basics to get it running.

The fact these movements were "Swiss" meant nothing as far as their condition, the condition of the movements was awful compared to the Asian 7750. So which is better, a clean fresh Asian 7750 which may not need servicing immediatly, or a Swiss 7750 that is old and tired, has only 17 vs 25 jewels, and needs to be fully serviced before it can be placed in use...

I think this is the point of view of your watchmaker, I have seen the exact same situation a number of times.

The quality of the Asian 7750, where it counts (polishing of pivots, fitment of parts, etc) is acceptable, with regular servicing there is no reason they won't last a lifetime. And with regular servicing, parts won't need to be replaced since they won't wear out...

RG

Good info but doesnt answer his problem as its a new 25 Jewel ETA 7750 that was installed

With this in mind what are your comments on a brand new ETA 7750 vs Asian 7750 The Zigmeister? as this is what the watchmaker seemed to be referring to

The only "new" ETA's I am aware of, are those in the sealed blister packs.

Anything else is anyone's guess as to it's condition, "new" with many ETA's means "surplus" and condition unknown. Based on his watchmaker's comments, I would say that this movement was a used surplus one.

A genuine "new" ETA, any model caliber, is pristine and in perfect condition and needs nothing for 5 or so years.

RG

Good to know The Zigmeister, thanks for the input, we all appreciate it! ^_^

I purchased two movements just like the one in the photo, same packaging etc.....and both are running like champs and keeping perfect time, within a few seconds, without any service or adjustment....

To the original poster davidbir, how was your movement packaged?

I think you bought the Swiss ETA from me?

If this was directed at me, then I am sure it wasn't you, or anyone on the board that I purchased the two 7750' from :)

Both sellers were German and understood very little English, I had to use an online translator, so arranging payment was tricky, but it turned out good in the end B)

Cheers! :D

Interesting thread.

It all boils down to the fact that correct service is way more important than the origin of the movement.. The Zigmeister did a full service on my fully functional A7750 (in a Carrera). Afterwards, I could notice the difference when setting the time and the way the rotor spins..

The only thing I missed on the Asian was the regulator (nice to have on display caseback models). Seems like the regulator is installed on the latest model.