When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Airsoft Advice

TeeJay

An some of you may know, one of the things I really enjoy in life, is shooting (rifle and pistol) Due to the UK's draconian handgun laws (which I do not want to discuss here) the chances of getting my hands on any real steel, is slim to non-existant.

A while back, I had a very good airsoft replica of a Walther P99, but I lost it when I moved, and would like to obtain a replacement.

My criteria...

As accurate to the real steel handgun as possible. If in metal, even better.

Must fire 6mm BBs

Must ONLY be SPRING POWERED. I don't want to be messing around with a gas pistol

I'm not too worried about the price, as if the product is good, it will get years of use, and worth the price.

Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

PS

No, I will NOT be standing in front of a mirror muttering "Guud evening mish munneh-penneh..." :D

I have some airsoft guns, all gas though.....

How frequently do you have to change the cartridges? Also, does the gas cartridge mean that the magazine is reduced in size?

I guess I could be tempted by gas, if it's not too 'high maintenance'. Up until now, I've only shot spring-powered airsoft, and found them adequate for my needs. That said, I did buy an airsoft pistol yesterday on a whim (it was only

The ones I have are all full metal and able to use the high powered gas (green gas)

You can fire off a full cartridge on one gas fill, but it has been a while since I shot with any of them to be honest. They are all bloody powerfull! All are 6mm BB's too.

Picture: dsc01048oh2.th.jpg

I forget the value involved in them, as like I say, it has been a while.....

The wildcat is damn fine, fully upgraded internally and by far my favourite piece :)

Gas is not expensive, the Umbrella Magnum is new, only fired a few times. You open the chamber out (as you would with a real gun) and there is a valve to fill it up with gas (as you say, like a cigarette lighter), then you place 6 BB's inside. So six shots a time, but the gas lasts longer than that....

The others have cartridges in the handle, as the real guns do, with the valve at the bottom, and can hold a lot more BB's. I think the custom wildcat holds 32, and the smaller glocks maybe 16 or so?

The Magnum will only use HFC134Aa/lower powered gas, I think all the others are fine for green or ultra, or whatever they call the higher power suff now :p because of the metal slides. You could use the high power gas with any gun, but don't expect it to last....

Thanks for the info :) I'm rather liking the look of this P99, what do you think?

Not to bad, takes the lower power gas, but overall it looks good. I think you may have issues getting it through customs though. Unless they paint it bright green or something :p

I am willing to part with all the guns in my photo, aside from the Wildcat ;)

Not to bad, takes the lower power gas, but overall it looks good. I think you may have issues getting it through customs though. Unless they paint it bright green or something :p

I am willing to part with all the guns in my photo, aside from the Wildcat ;)

I was just reading a rather thorough review of the Maruzen P99, and they test fired it with various gasses, which was good to know, as it allows for some flexibility, ie not only having to rely solely on one brand. I'm not too sure if customs would be an issue, but I have to admit, I'm pretty interested in it... I might have to send them an email :D I have to admit, the Umbrella Magnum would be tempting, but the P99's the only gun for me, it's grip is just so ergonomic :)

Thanks again for the info :)

I was just reading a rather thorough review of the Maruzen P99, and they test fired it with various gasses, which was good to know, as it allows for some flexibility, ie not only having to rely solely on one brand. I'm not too sure if customs would be an issue, but I have to admit, I'm pretty interested in it... I might have to send them an email :D I have to admit, the Umbrella Magnum would be tempting, but the P99's the only gun for me, it's grip is just so ergonomic :)

Thanks again for the info :)

Quote: "The law governing the sale, importation & manufacture of Airsoft guns and Replica Immitation Firearms (RIFs) in the UK changed on Monday 1st October 2007. As part of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006(VCRA), in order to purchase any RIF you will need to prove you are a airsoft player or skirmisher. To do this you will need to be on the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association (UKARA) player database"

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...ge=airsoftshop2

Quote: "The law governing the sale, importation & manufacture of Airsoft guns and Replica Immitation Firearms (RIFs) in the UK changed on Monday 1st October 2007. As part of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006(VCRA), in order to purchase any RIF you will need to prove you are a airsoft player or skirmisher. To do this you will need to be on the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association (UKARA) player database"

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...ge=airsoftshop2

Equally interesting, thanks for the headsup there :) That said, this could prove an issue... I don't really want to go running around the woods and get shot up to prove I'm into shooting... I only want it for a bit of home target practice :D

Can these actually be used for self-defense? They are non-lethal but aside from taking someone's eye out with the help of inhumanly good marksmanship I don't think you could do much damage... of course being perfect replicas means they are illegal in Canada because here all "fake guns" need to have orange/red colored end.

I used to have an old soviet BB gun but the spring & firing mechanism fell apart after about a dozen rounds were fired. It was good fun to blow into Styrofoam cups though.

Equally interesting, thanks for the headsup there :) That said, this could prove an issue... I don't really want to go running around the woods and get shot up to prove I'm into shooting... I only want it for a bit of home target practice :D

Same exact reason I purchased mine to be honest, Lucky I got in before October last year....

However I have moved house and no longer have a garden :mellow:

What is funny is that they have killed airsoft with this law really, the point of running round in the woods in camouflage is ruined if you have to have a dayglow luminous gun! :p

Can these actually be used for self-defense? They are non-lethal but aside from taking someone's eye out with the help of inhumanly good marksmanship I don't think you could do much damage... of course being perfect replicas means they are illegal in Canada because here all "fake guns" need to have orange/red colored end.

I used to have an old soviet BB gun but the spring & firing mechanism fell apart after about a dozen rounds were fired. It was good fun to blow into Styrofoam cups though.

The guns are weak power really, not like an air rifle, certainly no self-defense value. They could break the skin at a foot away maybe. Or injure an eye like you say, but the law was fine as it was, just a kneejerk reaction from our government.....

brightgunio6.jpg

I have to admit, while I wouldn't want to get shot in the face with one, equally, I wouldn't want to try and use it to actually defend myself from someone... Excluding the aforementioned eye-shot, I think all it would do is get them more angry :D That said, a metal one could always be used to pistol-whip someone ;)

Same exact reason I purchased mine to be honest, Lucky I got in before October last year....

However I have moved house and no longer have a garden :mellow:

What is funny is that they have killed airsoft with this law really, the point of running round in the woods in camouflage is ruined if you have to have a dayglow luminous gun! :p

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I was actually into airsoft as a sport, like people can be into paintballing, but that's just not really my thing. Having seen the law, I might have to settle for this instead :D One good thing which did come out of the cheapo pistol I bought, was it was came with a removeable mount with a laser pointer B) I'm faily sure it'll fit on the rail of another P99, so I kept it when I binned the rest of it :D

but the law was fine as it was, just a kneejerk reaction from our government.....

That's my beef with such laws. Okay, sure, they need to prevent such things 'falling into the wrong hands', but what I think 'they' tend to forget, is that 'the wrong hands' will get hold of them (and real steel) regardless of any laws governtments enact... All these laws do, is penalize people with a legitimate interest in shooting :(

That's my beef with such laws. Okay, sure, they need to prevent such things 'falling into the wrong hands', but what I think 'they' tend to forget, is that 'the wrong hands' will get hold of them (and real steel) regardless of any laws governtments enact... All these laws do, is penalize people with a legitimate interest in shooting :(

I agree with you 100%

Like copy protection on PC games, just makes life hard for the peeps that buy the game (causing various errors etc..), but not those that just hack it anyway.....

Why not contact the UK site I posted? You need to look within the UK.....

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...ct&id=P99CM

I've sent an email to the other company, as they say they have a UK distributor, so I can always wait to see what they say. Failing that, I'll have to go for one of the plastic spring powered versions. Part of me says that I could tollerate one of the clear pistols, afterall, it would feel okay, and would be adequate for target practice, but another part of me is scheptical that I actually would like it clear, so I might go with the other one I linked to, which comes with the 'silencer' :)

I agree with you 100%

Like copy protection on PC games, just makes life hard for the peeps that buy the game (causing various errors etc..), but not those that just hack it anyway.....

Absolutely. I think the thing which 'they' forget, is that the people who the laws are aimed at, simply ignore them or circumvent them, and it's only the law abiding who wind up facing the difficulties from them :(

I really like the P99, and agree that the grip is very comfortable. I didn't realize they made copies that were that accurate. I have it in a 9mm.

I bought my airsoft P99 about 2-3 years ago, and it really was very accurate (visually). It was also a very 'functional' pistol, in that the slide would actually lock back if an attempt was made to c0ck it while it was empty, and it had a functional de-c0cking lever. (although of course, not quite the same as emptying a magazine at a target and having it lock back of it's own accord :D ) Given the changes in the law, I really wish I still had it :D

The ones I have are all full metal and able to use the high powered gas (green gas)

You can fire off a full cartridge on one gas fill, but it has been a while since I shot with any of them to be honest. They are all bloody powerfull! All are 6mm BB's too.

Picture: dsc01048oh2.th.jpg

I forget the value involved in them, as like I say, it has been a while.....

The wildcat is damn fine, fully upgraded internally and by far my favourite piece :)

i have the same gun (top row, on the right). its pretty expensive, i think i paid about 200$ for it. i did lots of tactial practice with airguns during the beginning of my army career and its helped me alot. you stay in shape (its really a sport and not just fun!) and if you do it often, you aim like a green baret.

so far i have never died from gunshots in a simulated-fight and we've done quite a few. i'm also the best shooter in my whole battalion B)

I have a green gas glock I bought off of ebay. It is very accurate with a lot of metal parts. I can fire through two magazines before I have to refill the gas and the gas is in the clip which is very convenient. It is semi auto with blowback and the slide locks open when empty. It is lots of fun. My ex GF told me to shoot her in the ass with it when I got it to see if it hurt (she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed god bless her). Didn't kill her but she couldn't sit down for about 20 minutes so I concur that these can't be used for self defense. Lots of fun though. Might be worth joining that group to get one. I wouldn't mind a good skirmish now and then. As kids we used to hunt eachother with actual bb guns. Those hurt a bit more even at 20 yards.