When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Am Amazed!

GFish

I am amazed at some veteran posters who seem to want to tell our trusted dealers how to conduct business.

First you say how pleased you are with the products they steadfastly deliver, then in the next breath you say that you may stop doing business with some of them because they are not the low price merchant. How arrogant and disloyal can you be???? Last time I looked, reps were just like any other product subject to free market forces. Economics 101 of supply and demand still prevail. Price 'em too low---you may go out of business. Too high---very few buy from you. AND all those other peripherals that we like so much have a price. Things like swift delivery, fast informative communications, standing firmly behind the product, etc. etc.---they all have a price. I value the dealers that I have found and the way they have treated me on numerous transactions. The price they charge is the price they charge. I can either decide to buy it from them or look somewhere else---pricing is their decision---buying is mine. I really hope most of my fellow board members feel likewise. All the best, Dr. Gary

@ GFish

I agree for the most part. I have purchased several watches from 5 dealers. Never had a problem that wasn't fixed as soon as humanly possible, by any of them. That is why I continue to buy from them. Price is a small issue for me. If I like a particular offering from a dealer, I may check with the others, to see if they carry it, and whether they are offering it at a lower price (why pay more than you have to?), but I never stray from this group of dealers. Some I use for high end purchases, the others I use for the cheaper stuff. I know which dealer carries the quality of product I am looking for and use them when appropriate. There are many factors that I consider before purchasing a watch and price is one of them, but not the most important (for me). That being said, your post pretty much sums up itself. The law of supply and demand is what it is, and people can choose to do what they want, when they want. They can either buy or not buy a watch and for many people price may be the biggest factor in determing whether or not to buy.

I value the dealers that I have found and the way they have treated me on numerous transactions. The price they charge is the price they charge. I can either decide to buy it from them or look somewhere else---pricing is their decision---buying is mine. I really hope most of my fellow board members feel likewise. All the best, Dr. Gary

That sounds reasonable and accurate enough.

Actually though, when I read your heading to this thread, I wasn't even expecting anything about price. I thought it would be more about the way they do business, and what we've been so lucky to expect from them.

AND all those other peripherals that we like so much have a price. Things like swift delivery, fast informative communications, standing firmly behind the product, etc. etc.---they all have a price.

This part, and I agree, that has its price, or more exactly, its value to us. We're lucky enough to have a great group of dealers here who want our business, and are willing to go the extra mile for us to keep it. I'm sure they know a good thing when they see it . . . a "captive" audience that loves their products and will be repeat buyers for a good time to come. They're also good smart business people and deliver exellent service to keep us as customers. I've had nothing but good experiences with the dealers I've used here, and price was only a small part of my consideration to purchase.

Oh, but if they wanted to lower their prices . . . I really wouldn't complain a bit . . .

8^)

B

I totally agree with GFish. If you don't want to buy from a certain dealer because of their higher price than just don't buy from him. If you are willing to take the risk from buying from a dealer with more inexpensive wares and you have done the research on this dealer than you are the one taking the risk. So do the research and as has been espoused numerous times on this and other forums choose your dealer first than your watch.

Eddy

Nice to see the support for the good dealers that we are fortunate enough to have to do business with. Please understand that I have nothing whatsoever against low prices, but unlike some members, I would never try to tell a dealer what price he should charge. That's entirely up to him. Also, we sometimes forget that there are high volume dealers, low volume dealers and many in between. Some do it as a full time business and some more as a hobby or small sideline business. Some offer more services than others and may price accordingly. To me, trust and reputation are extremely important and I shall always be loyal to those dealers who have gained that with me---regardless of price. If it happens to be a very low or favorable price on the item I want, from a dealer I trust, then all the better. The point once again is: pricing is his decision---buying is my decision. As an aside, in business, I have always found that you usually get back what you are willing to give yourself. Sometimes we tend to forget that little tidbit!

All the best, Dr. Gary

Are you a medical doctor, doctor of philosophy or doctor 'o love, Gary?

On another note, the market is going to dictate price, not the dealers, in reality. If they are pricing their products too high, then folks won't buy and they will lower their price (unless they all act in sync...trust)

Retail is Retail...

Plain & Simple...

Be it watches, automobiles, household goods, or anything else...

There is a very simple law that always applies...

"A Sale is made when the value out weighs the cost"...

So the bottom line is what we as consumers equate "Value" too...

I for one think value consist of the product, the service, the communication, and who I "want" to do business with...

justmy2centsforwhatitsworthwhichaintmuch

TT

I agree, buy from who you want. If you are a cheapo, and let price determine where you buy replicas from, then shop accordingly. Just don't come on here and complain when the $100 Swiss replica you ordered has tons of flaws and a 10 year old rusted ETA prototype movement.

Generally speaking, when a dealer of any product all of the sudden comes out with insanely low prices, it means one of many things:

1. They need money, badly

2. They are going out of business

3. They have come across some extremely cheap stock, which is usually cheap for a reason.

It's absolutely ludicrous for members to say "so-and-so dealer is a rip off because I saw the same product elsewhere for $50". It has been proven time and time again that fire sale prices almost always result in low quality products and for some reason this board has frequently been filled up with people who constantly say "I can get the same Swiss ETA watch for $50, what a rip off!" These people have no concept of building a rapport with a dealer and continuing to do business with them. That is why I feel the price of replicas shouldn't go down, because we see more and more annoying people on these boards when replica prices start to hit rock bottom.

I agree, buy from who you want. If you are a cheapo, and let price determine where you buy replicas from, then shop accordingly. Just don't come on here and complain when the $100 Swiss replica you ordered has tons of flaws and a 10 year old rusted ETA prototype movement.

Generally speaking, when a dealer of any product all of the sudden comes out with insanely low prices, it means one of many things:

1. They need money, badly

2. They are going out of business

3. They have come across some extremely cheap stock, which is usually cheap for a reason.

It's absolutely ludicrous for members to say "so-and-so dealer is a rip off because I saw the same product elsewhere for $50". It has been proven time and time again that fire sale prices almost always result in low quality products and for some reason this board has frequently been filled up with people who constantly say "I can get the same Swiss ETA watch for $50, what a rip off!" These people have no concept of building a rapport with a dealer and continuing to do business with them. That is why I feel the price of replicas shouldn't go down, because we see more and more annoying people on these boards when replica prices start to hit rock bottom.

I don't know, it seems like prices have dropped quite a bit without a huge drop off in quality . . . I was paying $300 plus for Swiss Unitas Pams and $350 for Asian movement 196's just a year and a half ago, they're all down to under $250 with better finished movements, crowns, CG's, often under $200. So some of it just seems to be market forces at work. And a lot of the dealers, big and small, have lowered their prices . . . it's not just Paul. People who bought in China have reported that the same high end pams we pay $200 for can be bought for $75-100 at the source. I'm not saying dealers have been making more than a fair profit but clearly the margins were pretty comfy when the watches were going for $300 plus. Of course they don't like it if someone decides to play the lowball game, nobody likes having to work harder for less money. But I think it's pretty clear that if a dealer wants to sell large volumes at lower margins, he can do so without losing money or resorting to some kind of pyramid scheme, and I'm not sure what evidence there is that things are going to pot. If that was true this board would be flooded with complaints about their POS watches from aspire . . . it's not like people are shy about complaining on this board.