When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to disassemble a rolex?

MimiSars

I have opened the case back and I need to get the watch out so I can put the lume back in place. Im not sure which screws to take out. Its a Swiss ETA 2836-2. Are there any good tutorials? I found this one http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic....s+guide+watches but its of a POS and I dont want to just guess which screw I need to get out.

Is this watch new? Send it back and let them worry about it. You might end up scewing it up!

Just my 2 cents!

No its not new its a couple of months old.

lol I did mess it up. A 280 dollar watch! What happened was the lume came off so I decided to open it. I got the 1.2 mm driver, got the screws out, then the silver straps under the screws came off and went inside the Swiss. Freaked out so I decided to just go get hte lume, which was under the dial. Came off and then the hands came off as well.

Well its a lessen learned. If youre not experienced, dont bother. Im really [censored] that such a nice watch has just went to waste. Is there anything I can do with it now? I know I can't wear it but can it go to good use?

There are alot of tutorials on how to reattach hands. Use the search. If the hands just came off, the watch is far from a goner. Or, better yet, take it to a local watchmaker (phone to make sure he will work on reps) & let him reassemble it. A few minutes of work, so he should not charge you more than $50-$60 tops.

This happened to a guy who took apart his Rolex with the incorrect tools. Be careful.

nuke1te1.jpg

There are alot of tutorials on how to reattach hands. Use the search. If the hands just came off, the watch is far from a goner. Or, better yet, take it to a local watchmaker (phone to make sure he will work on reps) & let him reassemble it. A few minutes of work, so he should not charge you more than $50-$60 tops.

Hi Freddy.

Heres a couple things that is wrong with the watch atm, so Im not sure if it can be fixed yet? As I stated, the whole reason I opened the watch was to reattach the lume. Heres the following things that is wrong with the watch.

1. The gold part under the lume somehow came off and I don't know where it as at the moment.

2. The silver clasps under the 1.2mm screws are missing (1 actually fell into the swiss part).

With those problems, can the watch be fixed? Anyone know a good watchmaker in Los Angeles?

Edited by MimiSars

1. The gold part under the lume somehow came off and I don't know where it as at the moment.

2. The silver clasps under the 1.2mm screws are missing (1 actually fell into the swiss part).

With those problems, can the watch be fixed?

Any watch can be fixed, but I do not understand either of your descriptions. If you dropped a part into the movement, try GENTLY shaking the movement to see if you can hear or shake the part out (and do it over a white piece of paper on a large table so if the part drops out it does not bounce or roll onto the floor & get lost). But do not hit it or knock it against a table, as these will likely cause more serious damage.

If possible, take some good, clear close-up pictures (use the Macro setting on your camera) of the parts or areas that are causing the problem. With pictures, we can tell you where to go from there.

Thanks guys. My problem arent the hands at the moment since there are bigger problems as I mentioned. Ill try to describe it better. I dont have a cam so Ill use other pics I find online.

1. The stuff that I boxed in black is what Im missing. Without it, the watch doesn't stay in place. At least 1 fell into the movement and now I don't know where it is since it went underneath. I believe its called a case spacer?

th_85525_CaseClipsOffStemOff_122_538lo.jpg

2. The gold and the lume itself came off. I colored it blue since it looks blue now.

th_85538_Y_02L_122_250lo.JPG

Edited by MimiSars

1. The stuff that I boxed in black is what Im missing. Without it, the watch doesn't stay in place. At least 1 fell into the movement and now I don't know where it is since it went underneath. I believe its called a case spacer?

2. The gold and the lume itself came off. I colored it blue since it looks blue now.

The part on the dial is the index marker, which contains lume. But if I understand you correctly, the entire index marker came off the dial. The marker may have a pin on the back that fits through a small hole in the dial with a small dab of glue on the back. On some cheaper reps, the markers are just glued onto the dial (no pin). Once you locate the marker, you can use epoxy (available in any hardware or auto parts store) to glue it back on. I would not use Super Glue, because it has a habit of letting go after awhile.

Your other problem is that 1 of the 2 case clamps fell into the movement. Follow the instructions in my previous message to try to shake it out. If it does not drop out, the movement MUST me dismantled & reassembled by a watchmaker. Do not try to run the watch with that part in the movement, unless you want to have to replace the movement.

The part on the dial is the index marker, which contains lume. But if I understand you correctly, the entire index marker came off the dial. The marker may have a pin on the back that fits through a small hole in the dial with a small dab of glue on the back. On some cheaper reps, the markers are just glued onto the dial (no pin). Once you locate the marker, you can use epoxy (available in any hardware or auto parts store) to glue it back on. I would not use Super Glue, because it has a habit of letting go after awhile.

Your other problem is that 1 of the 2 case clamps fell into the movement. Follow the instructions in my previous message to try to shake it out. If it does not drop out, the movement MUST me dismantled & reassembled by a watchmaker. Do not try to run the watch with that part in the movement, unless you want to have to replace the movement.

Let me see if I understand. The lume and marker are not connected to each other, which is the reason I opened it. When I opened it, the marker came off also. So, do I first use epoxy to on the lume to "glue" it on the marker? After those two are put together, use epoxy on the marker and "glue that to the dial?

Well Im not sure where the other case clamp is. I only know that one of them is in the movement. I have tried shaking it but it wont come out. What do I do since Im missing the other clamp? How much do you think it will cost since the movement has to be disassembled?

Edited by MimiSars

Wow thank goodness. I just looked on the table where i was doing the work yesterday and the two clamps are there! Yes! So....my question still remains regarding the lume.

One more question. How do I know if the dial is broken or not? I can't seem to get it to "snap" on the movement. Also, any good watchmakers in Los Angeles that will work on reps?

Edited by MimiSars

So....my question still remains regarding the lume.

One more question. How do I know if the dial is broken or not? I can't seem to get it to "snap" on the movement. Also, any good watchmakers in Los Angeles that will work on reps?

I would glue the lume onto the marker & then, after letting them dry over night (or for as long as the glue manufacture recommends), glue the marker/lume back onto the dial. I would check all of the other markers on the dial to see if any other 1s are loose before you reassemble everything.

The dial does not 'snap' onto the movement (unless it is a VERY cheap rep, in which case anything is possible). There should be 2 dial 'feet' (actually 1/8" long pins) that stick out of the rear of the dial. The feet fit into corresponding holes on the front face of the movement plate. Just align the center hole & date window over the movement & you should see where the feet fit into the movement plate. The dial feet are held in place either by 2 small 'C' shaped friction locks that swing in against the sides of each foot or by 2 screws that enter the movement from the side (near where the feet enter).

I would glue the lume onto the marker & then, after letting them dry over night (or for as long as the glue manufacture recommends), glue the marker/lume back onto the dial. I would check all of the other markers on the dial to see if any other 1s are loose before you reassemble everything.

The dial does not 'snap' onto the movement (unless it is a VERY cheap rep, in which case anything is possible). There should be 2 dial 'feet' (actually 1/8" long pins) that stick out of the rear of the dial. The feet fit into corresponding holes on the front face of the movement plate. Just align the center hole & date window over the movement & you should see where the feet fit into the movement plate. The dial feet are held in place either by 2 small 'C' shaped friction locks that swing in against the sides of each foot or by 2 screws that enter the movement from the side (near where the feet enter).

I think I got it on. It had like 2 small holes, right? Question is, its fit, but is the thing where the hand goes supposed to be a bit off center? It goes slightly towards the right of the hole, not smack dowin in the middle. Also, is the silver ring that goes under the dial supposed to snap into the movement or no?

As for the pins, all of the markers seems to have pins because I can see the gold underneath the dial in pin form. The 12 oclock and 6 oclock seemed to be glued on though.