When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noisy Rotors...

lanikai

I guess this is just the growing process.. as I really don't posses great mechanical skills..

But after being around a while and owning numerous reps.. you get tired of sending back problems that are not "Ziggy qualified" meaning only Zig can do the "fix".. or more important the one "I" trust to do it..

So I ordered the simple basic tools from Ofrei.. case back opener for the Rolex (just the 29.5 die and handle).. and a set of bergeon screw drivers... you all have seen (newer members) pics of movements destroyed by mods using the hardware store screw drivers...

a case "Ball" opener .. better than duct tape ... and some oils gear train and gasket lubes..

I have removed the crystal for chiefs crystal run.. I thought that was a freedom of sorts... so I am sitting watching my DVD.. and every time I raise my arm to take a pull at my cigar I hear the locomotive coming down the tracks..( the rotor) in my Vintage P.Newman daytona.. which I had to regulate after it was running 60 minutes fast every 12 hours.. and this I did out of remembering a post of the regulator arm.. because the needle is a faux ... so after 2 day's of tweaking it is running a few seconds fast every day.. talk about feeling like I just cracked a safe !!!!the feeling of "I did that myself" !!!

Ok back on point.. so with my new found confidence.. I figure .... Why not ??? so I open the case back remove the rotor.. and with a toothpick apply the gear train lube.. (which Say's .."will not ball up... run.. break down or gum up.. it's a micro lube...) Now I don't know if this is the proper lube.. I guess I'll find out.. and I then apply this to the ball bearings in the rotor ... clean the excess of.. use the Joe blow.. (blower to get any dust out of the movement .. put the case back on...

and start shaking the watch.. sheesh.. still noisy ... until I realize it's the bracelet making the noise..so I hold the bracelet tight.. and do it again (turning off all sound to the (DVD) ........

And guess what I hear.......NOTHING.. NO NOISE.. QUIET.. PRETTY MUCH SILENT .. so I open the back.. maybe it's not turning even though I feel it turning..

It's still in place.. turning quietly... now I know the vets here are saying ... "didn't you know that ??" .. NO i did not .. but I do now.. :D it's seems it's just the ball bearings in the rotor that are dry as a bone from the factory..ergo .. train on the tracks noise..

So to all the junior and sophomore members who complain about the noisy rotor... wanna do something about it ?? or just whine ;)

if you do .. I will post pics on how to do this freshman 101 service.. either that or be like past members.. hang a shingle and say I do mods.... :bangin::bicycle: yeah right.. all we need is another one..

I guess this is just the growing process.. as I really don't posses great mechanical skills..

But after being around a while and owning numerous reps.. you get tired of sending back problems that are not "The Zigmeister qualified" meaning only Zig can do the "fix".. or more important the one "I" trust to do it..

So I ordered the simple basic tools from Ofrei.. case back opener for the Rolex (just the 29.5 die and handle).. and a set of bergeon screw drivers... you all have seen (newer members) pics of movements destroyed by mods using the hardware store screw drivers...

a case "Ball" opener .. better than duct tape ... and some oils gear train and gasket lubes..

I have removed the crystal for chiefs crystal run.. I thought that was a freedom of sorts... so I am sitting watching my DVD.. and every time I raise my arm to take a pull at my cigar I hear the locomotive coming down the tracks..( the rotor) in my Vintage P.Newman daytona.. which I had to regulate after it was running 60 minutes fast every 12 hours.. and this I did out of remembering a post of the regulator arm.. because the needle is a faux ... so after 2 day's of tweaking it is running a few seconds fast every day.. talk about feeling like I just cracked a safe !!!!the feeling of "I did that myself" !!!

Ok back on point.. so with my new found confidence.. I figure .... Why not ??? so I open the case back remove the rotor.. and with a toothpick apply the gear train lube.. (which Say's .."will not ball up... run.. break down or gum up.. it's a micro lube...) Now I don't know if this is the proper lube.. I guess I'll find out.. and I then apply this to the ball bearings in the rotor ... clean the excess of.. use the Joe blow.. (blower to get any dust out of the movement .. put the case back on...

and start shaking the watch.. sheesh.. still noisy ... until I realize it's the bracelet making the noise..so I hold the bracelet tight.. and do it again (turning off all sound to the (DVD) ........

And guess what I hear.......NOTHING.. NO NOISE.. QUIET.. PRETTY MUCH SILENT .. so I open the back.. maybe it's not turning even though I feel it turning..

It's still in place.. turning quietly... now I know the vets here are saying ... "didn't you know that ??" .. NO i did not .. but I do now.. :D it's seems it's just the ball bearings in the rotor that are dry as a bone from the factory..ergo .. train on the tracks noise..

So to all the junior and sophomore members who complain about the noisy rotor... wanna do something about it ?? or just whine ;)

if you do .. I will post pics on how to do this freshman 101 service.. either that or be like past members.. hang a shingle and say I do mods.... :bangin::bicycle: yeah right.. all we need is another one..

I'm surprised you just found out about this fix! You're slowing down, brah! LOL! :D I love you man! Send me some of that COFFEE and a box of POKI MIX koz I'm completely out!

Hike!

BTW: You could do the same trick on your noisy Chopard MMXL!

I'm surprised you just found out about this fix! You're slowing down, brah! LOL! :D I love you man! Send me some of that COFFEE and a box of POKI MIX koz I'm completely out!

Hike!

BTW: You could do the same trick on your noisy Chopard MMXL!

It was never a concern in the past as most of the pieces go to Ziggy for full servicing ... but the lower tier models .. well may as well learn on them myself..

T-tops just arrived at the gym.. sheesh .. better late than never.. soon it will be winter again :p .. gotta have a big wide back though these are the "muscle back" version.. not "broke back" ... :o

Nice job, R!! There is nothing like doing it yourself! Quite a lot of fun and an educational process as well.

Keep on it!

:)

Thanks R.. since you are adept at removing dials.. ;) .. the next task I would like to attempt is swapping dials.. now the hand remover looks relatively challenging .. with not a whole lot of difficulty.. but what tool is best for installing them and is there a position to do both..ie. @12 ... I'd like to try this on a couple of asian movements first.. I have Nd dials coming in and would like to have the freedom to swap them myself..

Thank you in advance...

It was never a concern in the past as most of the pieces go to The Zigmeister for full servicing ... but the lower tier models .. well may as well learn on them myself..

T-tops just arrived at the gym.. sheesh .. better late than never.. soon it will be winter again :p .. gotta have a big wide back though these are the "muscle back" version.. not "broke back" ... :o

I agree with you. Those were the one's I started playing with and have a few asian movements laying around dead! LOL!

Ok Brah.....send the T-tops man...I have a 46 chest.....so figure out the size! Don't forget the Poki mix to go with it! That darn thing is hard to find here! I'll PM you my address. Let me know what

I owe and I'll send you a check! Thanks, brother.......much appreciated!

Hike

I agree with you. Those were the one's I started playing with and have a few asian movements laying around dead! LOL!

Ok Brah.....send the T-tops man...I have a 46 chest.....so figure out the size! Don't forget the Poki mix to go with it! That darn thing is hard to find here! I'll PM you my address. Let me know what

I owe and I'll send you a check! Thanks, brother.......much appreciated!

Hike

what poki "mix" are you referring to? .. alls you need is hawaiin sea salt.. chili peppers.. kukui nut .. if you like that.. otherwise just the hawaiin sea salt.. and peppers.. oh... sea weed ,.. don't forget the Ahi (cubed)... mmmmmm with a cold brew on a hot day.....non alcoholic for me please..

I dun know the Y back t-top may not suit you .. if you know what i mean B):whistling::lol:

what poki "mix" are you referring to? .. alls you need is hawaiin sea salt.. chili peppers.. kukui nut .. if you like that.. otherwise just the hawaiin sea salt.. and peppers.. oh... sea weed ,.. don't forget the Ahi (cubed)... mmmmmm with a cold brew on a hot day.....non alcoholic for me please..

I dun know the Y back t-top may not suit you .. if you know what i mean B):whistling::lol:

What else would you use poki mix for???? beef? :rolleyes: although it mite be worth a try......I guess you haven't tried the prepackage version? I got them last time I was there; hawaiin sea salt.. chili peppers.. kukui nut and dried sea weed all packed in a 4oz packet! I have about 4 packets left! I always get a pound of fresh ahi on the weekend and season it wit the mix.....and yes! with a cold brew on a warm afternoon........priceless!

What else would you use poki mix for???? beef? :rolleyes: although it mite be worth a try......I guess you haven't tried the prepackage version? I got them last time I was there; hawaiin sea salt.. chili peppers.. kukui nut and dried sea weed all packed in a 4oz packet! I have about 4 packets left! I always get a pound of fresh ahi on the weekend and season it wit the mix.....and yes! with a cold brew on a warm afternoon........priceless!

I'll see if they have any "Alae" rock salt .. the red one.. more flavour than the rock salt.. that on steak.. "Pulehu" .. broke da mouth !!!!!