When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another reason I love reps, and you should too!

pman

I had just gotten out of my car and was walking across the parking lot when my Planet Ocean on Nato Strap came off my wrist and hit the ground crystal first. Yeah, that's exactly the reaction that I had too. Frak me, for all you BSG fans. It was my fault because I had just adjusted the size and probably did put the pin through the strap hole completely. The sapphire crystal had black marks all over it. I was able to scrap off all the marks with my fingernail and the crystal came out unscathed. The only damage was that a couple of the hour hand markers fell off and the bezel has a couple of scratches.

But as I was thinking about my inital reaction, and after the fact, it I could have only imagined how I would have felt if the watch had been a gen. Upset would be a great understatment. Think about it. I know that these watches aren't cheap but think about how you would feel is something like this happened to your $3,000-$5,000 gen watch. The moral of the story: Be thankful that we have these watches and that they are as good a reproduction as they are.

Anyone one know how easy it is to glue on the hour markers to a watch? What type of glue should I use? Thanks.

I've had this happen with my gens before. After the cursing and bashing of your head against a wall for a few minutes it passes and you realize it's a watch. Yes, it does cost a pretty penny, but still you can have it repaired.

Good point about reps though. You bash your head against that wall a lot less with reps. :)

The sound it made when it hit the ground was "thud". I thought for sure it was going to be destroyed. It actually faired tremendously well. I'm with you Ztech, they can all be repaired. But with a rep you almost ending paying the same to repair it as you would just buying a new watch altogether. I guess that's the good AND the bad.

I think what "really" get's you is if an accident happens when you first buy the watch. Rep or gen. I've had it happen to me with a gen within 3 days of purchasing it and that pain is similar to shooting yourself in the foot. Pain only stops when you dish out the $$$ to have it returned to as new condition. Hope nobody here experiences that.

That's what I love about my UPO. Ever since the first time I dove into a pool forgetting I had it on, I've learned to just let it be the tool it was made to be. I've scraped it a few times, but except for a scratch on the bezel a Scotchbrite would make it look new again. It even got a full day of beauty torture at Glen Ivy hot springs (pools, jaccuzi, massage and facial [for me, not the watch],hot spring soak, mud bath, and sauna) and it still runs like a... well, like a Swiss watch. I was a heartbeat away from buying the gen when I joined this site, NO WAY I would have put a $3K watch through all that. The real luxury of reps is not stressing about them.

That's what I love about my UPO. Ever since the first time I dove into a pool forgetting I had it on, I've learned to just let it be the tool it was made to be. I've scraped it a few times, but except for a scratch on the bezel a Scotchbrite would make it look new again. It even got a full day of beauty torture at Glen Ivy hot springs (pools, jaccuzi, massage and facial [for me, not the watch],hot spring soak, mud bath, and sauna) and it still runs like a... well, like a Swiss watch. I was a heartbeat away from buying the gen when I joined this site, NO WAY I would have put a $3K watch through all that. The real luxury of reps is not stressing about them.

That's pretty much how I treat all my watches. Gens or reps. I mean I buy them to wear and enjoy not to admire from afar. Although those times when you ding or scratch them does hurt it still doesn't take away from the fact, for me, these are quality time pieces designed to take the punishment and still keep on ticking. This is one of the reasons why I sold all of my really expensive watches. When I had my GP Seahawk Pro II and I scratched it, it made my heart stop. LOL.

That's pretty much how I treat all my watches. Gens or reps. I mean I buy them to wear and enjoy not to admire from afar. Although those times when you ding or scratch them does hurt it still doesn't take away from the fact, for me, these are quality time pieces designed to take the punishment and still keep on ticking. This is one of the reasons why I sold all of my really expensive watches. When I had my GP Seahawk Pro II and I scratched it, it made my heart stop. LOL.

Too true Ztech. If you're not careful, the stuff you own ends up owning you. Which is why I don't care about stuff. This is a much easier philosophy to follow when your beautiful watch cost only $300, not $6000!

me too, i have been wearing my ingy and speedmaster out in the field for the past 3 months, if i had the gen ingy with me i would have worn that too, they are tools to tell the time, good looking tools at that but it is like having a car and not driving it!

But if i damage the rep i will just repair or write it off, if i damage the gen then i would be pissed off to say the least!

My names Andy and I love Reps

Glad to see everyone's responses. I think we all have our picks of which ones will be safe queens and vice versa. I don't really have any safe queens anymore so all my gens/reps get their turns on the rotation. I figure, I bought them to enjoy and by God if I'm not get my $$$ worth. :)