When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help - Using Handbrake to encode Video with subtitles

ajoesmith

Im using Handbrake as recommended by other users to encoded DVD files (.vob .ifo or .iso) to H.264 or Divx or Xvid mp4 etc.

I have many movies that i want to convert/encode and to also display the subtitles.

How do i do this?

Can anyone help?

EDIT:

I read on the internet to chose track 2 in the audio and subtitles menu but there is no track 2, only track 1.

I have checked many times and it isnt there. I have also double checked that the original files have subtitles and they do!

Under audio tracks heading:

Track 1 is set as automatic

track 2 set at none, cant choose anything else

Under subtitles heading:

choices are none or autoslect. I have chosen both none and autoselect to encode and the subtitles dont appear!

There is also an option to forced subtitles only, when i select this still no subtitles.

Im using a PC not a MAc and i use VLC player.

I don't know 'Handbrake' never even heard of it. We use 'Virtualdub' for adding SRT subtitles to AVI files (hardsub). Its is a free download:

http://www.virtualdub.org/index

To rip a DVD to AVI we use 'DVD-decrypter' first. (makes DVD into one huge VOB file that you can delete once everything is done - finished avi file...)

And then 'Auto Gordian Knot' (AGK) to make that Decrypter VOB file into a smaller Avi file either with or without subs. AKG lets you choose which quality your output file will have, Divx or XVID and if subs or not, it is like a batch program for the Virtualdub I mentioned earlier and it works like a charm.

All these programs come as free downloads and are easy to find by google.

These programs or the websites they are on have some good tutorials also. Have fun!

Im using Handbrake as recommended by other users to encoded DVD files (.vob .ifo or .iso) to H.264 or Divx or Xvid mp4 etc.

I have many movies that i want to convert/encode and to also display the subtitles.

How do i do this?

Can anyone help?

EDIT:

I read on the internet to chose track 2 in the audio and subtitles menu but there is no track 2, only track 1.

I have checked many times and it isnt there. I have also double checked that the original files have subtitles and they do!

Under audio tracks heading:

Track 1 is set as automatic

track 2 set at none, cant choose anything else

Under subtitles heading:

choices are none or autoslect. I have chosen both none and autoselect to encode and the subtitles dont appear!

There is also an option to forced subtitles only, when i select this still no subtitles.

Im using a PC not a MAc and i use VLC player.

Hi i use a simple program called convertxtodvd you can add subs from dropdown menu and works quite fast about 1/30 for a movie to dvd also automatically creates menus this is bundled with other software try it out

http://rapidshare.com/files/117016663/VSO_...Goleech.org.rar

check the link

Joe this site should help you mate;

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/109

At the bottom of the page they mention subtitles and how to import them.

Yeah i have already seen that, thanks but it doesnt work.

I go to the subtitle menu and its says 'None' but its a ripped DVD with all menus and subs. I know the subs are there but handbrake doesnt see them

I use the Mac version.. so I'm not sure how valid this is.. but if you use .mkv format for the files then it'll give you the option to include chapter markers and subtitles in the file, but subtitles are included as a separate track so can be turned on and off.

• 4 years later...

I use Slysoft's AnyDVD HD/BlueRay to automatically decrypt. I us DVDDecrypter if I want to copy contents to my hard drive. Nero 12.5 Recode If I want to burn or convert to any file type, with many options on sizes/Video qualities, etc. + sound and subtitles. You could also use Recode to import/export video files in any format!

Hope that helps!