When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How good your noob dial is...

chefcook

Heyho,

for a current project (frankenised MBW 16610) I aquired a gen dial. As I have a noobmariner too I decided to show the differences between the noob and the gen dial.

From a distance of two or three inches it's hard to spot a difference on a photo. In real life the gen appears somehow more elegant, better made.

2dkil2u.jpg

Taking a closer look some flaws can be spotted easily. Look at the minute markers and the "swiss made" on the gen dial:

6jk9sn.jpg

and on the noob dial:

255l4kp.jpg

The noob has little serifs on the minute markers next to an hour marker and they are too long. The minute markers are to bold. The font of the swiss made is too fat and with less spacing than on the gen. And it is not centered correctly!!!! The print on the gen is a lot more clear.

The crown and the OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE. Again the gen is first:

2sbsoba.jpg

and the noob:

15k9pi.jpg

and the noob:

wvxq2t.jpg

First thing to notice is the S on Submariner: The real deal is flat, the noob is curved. The A on the gen is pointier than on the noob. The font size is quite good.

Probably most obvious is the f on ft: On the noob it is far to large, nearly touching the A in Submariner.

The font for the "1000 ft = 300m" is completely wrong. There should not be serifs on the 1 and the m should be more italic. The 0 should be rounder, not that oval.

The SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED is pretty much spot on.

The white gold kerbs on the hour markers are too thick on the noob and it seems that not enough lume is applied on the noob, as the lume forms a little tub in the white gold kerbs.

The lume:

The lume on the noob is really good, though the gen is a lot better and lasts amazingly long. Most impressive is how little light is enough to charge the gen lume. A few minutes in the sun are enough to have light in the darkest room where the noob needs exposure to a strong halogen bulb to reach a similar level of glow.

Here a picture after ca 3 minutes in a dark room (exposure time ca 10 seconds). It is obvious which is the gen.

2yjsl5s.jpg

In my humble oppinion the noob dial is ridiculously overrated as is the noobmariner. It is NOT spot on and it is not a good fake. Nearly everything on the noob dial is wrong, just as nearly everything on the noobmariner is wrong. The noobmariner does not have flaws, it IS a flaw.

After buying a noobmariner I would not buy any watch from the noobfactory in fear of receiving similar crap.

I hope you are now aware of the fact, that you do not have the ultimate fake dial and that anyone looking at it with open eyes can identify it as a rep. Therefore I would not recommend swapping a MBW or whatever dial for a noob dial, as it is just not as good as most people think.

Edited by chefcook

Just as an FYI, Rolex has a few different variations of the 16610 dial. For instance, the bottom half print on the Noob is correct for the version it's duplicating, as well as the upper half size and shape. I actually prefer the version that the noob duplicates over the version you have, but to each their own.

So you say the Noob Dial is not good,

than show me one Rep Dial which is better.

When you compare different gen Dials than you

have different fonts etc.

For the price about 30$ I think its damn good.

Shure Gen Dial is better but cost you 10th of the Noob Dial.

Yep, you are right, for $30 it's pretty good. But why not give $31 for a noob dial with better lume? Saved money on the wrong end imho...

The noob could be much better without costing more than 10% more than it is today!

The longer you stay around.... the better you will understand. The biggest lie about reps is the "ultimate", "1:1", "perfect Rep" bull. It does not exist. Not on the noob and not on 700$+ MBW's. Period.