When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone had (or are considering) having their watches professionally restored?

DemonSlayer

I'm now starting to emerge out of the rep buying frenzy. I've now come to the realisation that I don't need that many watches to be content and I guess I'm not a watch nut like many members on this board. I've decided that I'm going to keep my collection to a maximum of 4 at any one time. It is proving difficult but they will all be watches that I'm happy to wear for many years.

One of these, is the MBK PP Nautilus. Having aquired it last week, I must say this is the most impressive watch I've ever seen in person and handled. It is in perfect condition and I wish it would remain this way, but I know its not possible. As I intend to wear it almost everyday (it may even be my daily beater) I know it is inevitable that the bracelet and case will see damage in the forms of scratches and dings etc.

I don't see my Nautilus as a replica or a gen, I simply see it as a beautiful watch which is constructed really well and I intend to wear it for many years. I know that when the time comes, I would like this one to be refinished professionally. The brushed and polished areas are just too perfect one this one for me to ever achieve anything close to it.

Has any one here had any of their watches professionally refinished, and if so, what are your thoughts? Are the prices expensive that its not worth it? Are local watchsmiths able to undertake a task like this one?

Comments are much appreciated :)

Has any one here had any of their watches professionally refinished, and if so, what are your thoughts? Are the prices expensive that its not worth it? Are local watchsmiths able to undertake a task like this one?

Any professional watchmaker can refinish your case (that is 1 of the 1st skills a watchmaker learns). The trick is to find a local watchmaker who works on reps & does good work.

A much better option would be to buy a Dremel

4aaf90d4-a0a9-4da5-b0b9-d2a8b22976da_400.jpg

Here is a link

Some cotton polishing wheels & green rouge (buffing compound)

d6d69f76-9552-4124-82a3-5eee6e1393ec_400.jpg

Here is a link

green-rouge.jpg

Here is a link

And learn to do the work yourself. Not only is this a relatively easy job to master, but like the old saying goes -- If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Any professional watchmaker can refinish your case (that is 1 of the 1st skills a watchmaker learns). The trick is to find a local watchmaker who works on reps & does good work.

A much better option would be to buy a Dremel

4aaf90d4-a0a9-4da5-b0b9-d2a8b22976da_400.jpg

Here is a link

Some cotton polishing wheels & green rouge (buffing compound)

d6d69f76-9552-4124-82a3-5eee6e1393ec_400.jpg

Here is a link

green-rouge.jpg

Here is a link

And learn to do the work yourself. Not only is this a relatively easy job to master, but like the old saying goes -- If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Polishing different angles and areas of metal to a mirror shine is not that simple. Sometimes instead of a shine you get a haze, etc. It definately takes practice to get right. But I agree, that trying yourself may be rewarding- just don't practice on something you value.

Thank you Freddy for the links and suggestion, I enjoyed reading your post when you restored your Datejust :) Nice job.

TeeJay: Hope things are well :) The Nautilus wears a lot smaller than a PAM, its very thin (only 9mm) and extremely comfortable. However the asian 21J Nautilus I used to own was much thicker (I didn't get a measurement, sorry!).

TeeJay: Hope things are well :) The Nautilus wears a lot smaller than a PAM, its very thin (only 9mm) and extremely comfortable. However the asian 21J Nautilus I used to own was much thicker (I didn't get a measurement, sorry!).

All's well, thanks :) Does it appear much smaller in terms of width and dial size as well?

Good to hear brother :) Yes it does, the crown guard on PAMs really do make a difference in their size, and the dial does look smaller. It is suprising that the Nautilus is a jumbo size, because it doesn't really feel that big at all, to me it is the perfect sized wristwatch, and the thiness of it makes it really comfortable and allows it to fit under the cuff.

TeeJay, this is to give you some idea on the differences on the case size of a Pam and the Nautilus:

Notice how thin the Nautilus is, this does wonders for its comfort. Its the most comfortable watch I've ever worn, even though its made of steel.

Thanks for the photos, bro :) I have to admit, I think it might be a little small for me (dial wise) That said, I think I'd be safest to buy one so I can see for myself ;) Just to be sure :D

Tony's showing listings for MBKs, with both Swiss and Asian movements, so I think I could be tempted. I have ordered a 114 (I think :D ) as a possible 'wedding watch', but, it's likely going to wind up needing a case transplant into a case which will take the SS Bracelet (for some reason, some cases won't accept the bracelet, but I'm planning on buying my 111h back so I can cannabilize it for the bracelet and case, so I could then swap over the movements and dials :D ) The only flaw with the plan, is that I was thinking about having matching watches for my best men, and, although I could buy the 114 on SS, Tony only lists the Swiss version with the bracelet, the Asian versions are only on straps, and I'm not feeling generous enough to get three Swiss versions :D Of course, if the Asian one does fit on the bracelet for my 104 (I'm not expecting it to :D ) then that'd be a different matter :D If not, it'll be Asian PPs all round :D