When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to wear a watch

pfran42

OK, this might seem like a really dumb question but I have noticed that in a lot of wrist shots posted on this forum, the watch is positioned very far forward on the person's wrist. I mean to the point that it would be painful to bend your wrist back for fear of the crown digging into the wrist.

There is a "[censored]by" bone on the top part of the wrist near where the hand bends back and forth. I have always worn my watches just behind this bone (as in further up the wrist then all of these wrist shots).

Is it just "good picture taking" to move the watch as far towards the fingers as possible? ..or is this the "proper" placement for a watch on the wrist?

Here is an example (No disrespect to RCKH):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=74099

Well, I don't believe it really matters...and it's just personal preference.

However, I personally hate anything that's stuck to my skin. Where I live, there is a lot of humidity and things get a little "sticky" at times. So, I always have a watch band sized to where it will move around on my wrist just a little. I hate it to be too tight. If I were to wear it up on my arm, rather than close to my hand, it would drive me nuts. Even when I'm driving, it rides up to my arm and gets a little tight...so I always shake it down to the hand. That's just my take on things.

If you're wearing it that high up on the arm, you're wearing it too tight. It should have enough play to fall past that bone your talking about.

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but the general rule is to be able to stick your pinky finger in between the bracelet and the bottom of your wrist.

Thanks for the rule of thumb (I mean pinky) P4GTR! I guess I wear my watches too tight. I absolutely hate when a heavy watch bangs around on my wrist bones. I am wearing an SSD and it is like a mini anvil. It needs to stay secure or it is going to do damage to my wrist.

I suspect I am not alone in this but to a certain degree how tight I wear my watches depends on how fed up I got sizing the bracelet and how close the removal of links / half-links and micro-adjusters can get to how I like it. The Tag I am wearing now is a tiny bit tighter than I'd have it given a choice for example but this is the closest I can get it.

Agree with the "personal preference choice"..

And like subfrog I live in hot humid weather during the summer months and I like air to be able to circulate under the case and bracelet at times.

the "fashion" people will tell you that the bracelet watches should be worn very loose like a bracelet ... I like it so I can just barely fit my pinky under the clasp .. at times it rides low but will move around my wrist a little..plus I don't like the "feeling" of beind "bound"

but it comes down to: it's your timepeice your arm or wrist.. no one is "grading" you how you wear yours .. wear it however you feel comfortable physically and mentally B)

The way I wear my watch is constrained by gravity. Even if I would like to wear it behind the protruding bone nearer the center of my forearm, keeping it up there would be impossible, as the relatively loose bracelet would cause it to flop down again. Sometimes my watches manage to sit in awkward position, but when this happens, I am pleased to re-adjust back to the most comfortable location.