When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New York City Summer GTG: August 25th

Stephane

Restaurant choices  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favourite restaurant

• The spotted pig http://thespottedpig.com/info.php
    • Pete's Tavern http://www.geocities.com/petestavern.geo/location.html
    • Indochine http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7087.../indochine.html
    • Asia de Cuba? http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/1131...at_morgans.html
    • Il Cortile "Little Italy New York" http://ilcortile.com/
    • Canal Street / Chinatown
    • Otto http://www.ottopizzeria.com/index.html

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:band1:

It was a great evening for sure ...

Wonder if it happened though.

I'm still not sure I ain't dreaming!

Right now I try to recover

:bangin:

Someone is knocking on my head

:busted_cop:

@All thanks for the great moments spend in your city/country

@Vlydog Congrats for the organisation, it was perfect

:clap2:

Ok, we'll come back with some great photos later, when my hands stop to shake and after a couple of liters of Coke :drunk:

See you soon...

Stephane-

I wish you a speedy recovery. :D I have already received emails from folks relating to a potential shopping expedition today. I will have to see if I can "sneak out". ;)

Recovered already and yes shopping start at 11 AM, meeting at the hotel :)

I'll give you a call.

Cheers

Stephane

and a fine GTG it was indeed. Again, congrats to Stephane and vlydog for the organization. It was a blast to meet some members in person. It was a little intimidating to be at one table with a wealth of information being discussed, along with a pile of reps and gens.

post-4211-1219773140_thumb.jpg

Greeting from upstate,

Hello to all who attended the RWG NYC GTG. What a great day and night! I would first like to personally thank Stephane for being the brain-child behind this special event and for helping me with the planning. Your hotel suite hospitality was top notch. Gratitude goes out to all of you for being there and for your generosity. There was literally a wealth of information exchanged and a chance to see some exquisite timepieces and make new friends.

I would have posted this much earlier but I too was feeling a little under the weather. I think a got a bad ice cube.

Best wishes, vlydog

any shopping stories to share?

Sure, that is episode 2.

I'll try to write something tonight if can keep my eyes open B)

@Stephane & other vacationers: any plans to attend the US Open?

Unfortunately not for me.

I do not want to sound snob but I trully prefer to walk in New York City, meet friends from the forum for a window or not shopping, a few drinks...watch the lovely girs of New York...

So, he we go: a anonymous PHOTO of the restaurant yesterday ;) (Thanks to JoJo's great GF :1a: )

NycGtg_800_02co.jpg

And for those who'd like to download it, here a little Logo created by a friend of me :lol:

ILoveRwg.jpg

See you later

Back in Boston and just got back online after a long day of driving, school supply shopping and Soccer practice....

I want to thank Vly for the coordination - it was a fantastic evening :tu:

Thanks also to Stephane for his gracious hospitality ;)

It was teriffic to meet some folks I hadn't met and to catch up with the ones I have met on a previous GTG.

Nothing like a night out in NYC :drinks:

We had a great turnout - we missed you Dave and Terry :good:

Some incredible pieces floating arounfd the tables last night...watches, dials, straps :wub:

Till we meet again :1a:

Dear All,

I sincerely think the event deserves a report, if not the event, the persons who participated surely do.

I'm not sure what is the best way to "report" this to the community so I decided to share my view of this NYC week and the initial GTG, a bit like a diary.

I will start by saying that we missed CarlsBadRolex and Dave_Nyc a lot!

But as our Admin said to me today: "Stephane, in a year or two, you will probably have met 50% of our members face to face".

There will be plenty opportunities in the next years to meet again and please be aware that fresh members are welcome to join these GTGs too of course.

Arrival

I landed at JFK around noon.

In the mid afternoon

What a great time I had gang, you guys are great. It was nice to see some of the faces from the last GTG in NJ and to meet even more fantastic people. I have to say that there was a good turn out of ladies as well, not something seen at past gatherings I've attended. I have to say that parting wasn't the only downer to the evening. I did't notice that you couldn't park after 11 on 8th, so my car was towed. Finally tracked it down (not an easy task, I must say that it's easier to find a NOS '60's Submariner at an AD) at about 3AM. But, this morning it all seemed a dream and could only think of the coversation, camaraderie, laughs, food, drink, and watches. Price of ticket, tow, cab ride, and aggravation of getting your car towed in NYC = $500 Price of meeting the best people (especially the notorious Stephane) from RWG = PRICELESS. I hope we do it again soon.

Wow, I finally woke up this morning (with my legs still sore from walking all over Manhattan with Stephane yesterday!), and I read all the great responses to this thread. Lor and I are glad we came in to the city on Monday to meet everyone and share great conversation, laughs, and a few drinks :)

Jay, I'm sorry to hear your car got towed, what a bummer. I think they make the "no parking" signs so confusing on purpose!

I've got all the original pictures that Lor and I took at the restaurant, and I'll email them to everyone this afternoon as soon as I get a chance in between work.

Stephane, what can I say, you are a complete gentleman and I am very glad I took the time to come back into the city yesterday and show you around to some of my favorite watch places and sights. From 47th street to Grand Central, with a subway ride down to the Brooklyn bridge. From there walking out to Canal street where we saw some of the worst "china town reps"! However, only a short walk away from there was a little hole in the wall shop with easily a 100k worth of gen vintage in the window.

All in all, I had a wonderful time and look forward to the next GTG!

It was certainly a pleasure for my gf and I to meet everyone :)

Wow, I finally woke up this morning (with my legs still sore from walking all over Manhattan with Stephane yesterday!), and I read all the great responses to this thread. Lor and I are glad we came in to the city on Monday to meet everyone and share great conversation, laughs, and a few drinks :)

Jay, I'm sorry to hear your car got towed, what a bummer. I think they make the "no parking" signs so confusing on purpose!

I've got all the original pictures that Lor and I took at the restaurant, and I'll email them to everyone this afternoon as soon as I get a chance in between work.

Stephane, what can I say, you are a complete gentleman and I am very glad I took the time to come back into the city yesterday and show you around to some of my favorite watch places and sights. From 47th street to Grand Central, with a subway ride down to the Brooklyn bridge. From there walking out to Canal street where we saw some of the worst "china town reps"! However, only a short walk away from there was a little hole in the wall shop with easily a 100k worth of gen vintage in the window.

All in all, I had a wonderful time and look forward to the next GTG!

It was certainly a pleasure for my gf and I to meet everyone :)

Episode 2: my day with JoJo

Hey Jojo, good morning ;)

Thanks for the nice words.

On top of that thanks for taking a day off and spend it with me.

It is a fantastic gesture.

Meeting & 47th street

We met at the hotel at 11 am and started our tour with 47th street.

We walked through the Rockfeller center.

NycGtg_800_15.jpg

A large part of that street is full of Gold, Diamonds, Jewels and watches stores.

Pretty funny: some are huge surface with very small booth, each booth beign another seller/company.

JJ knows some people overthere which is of course a must.

I would not advice to go there without some connections.

We started at n

I am thinking of taking my wife and kid to visit new york by bus tomorrow. The bus stops at Penn station, is there any affordable place to

stay around that area? I need to know right away to make the decision so i can go tomorrow. Is the GTG still going on?

Love to hear from NewYorker. I can drive too but is there any parking for the day? we want to spend one night only.

Believe it or not but we have never been in NewYork before. This will be our first time. My wife love to visit Canal street too.

NycGtg_800_89.jpg

Nice GTG report and pictures.. I have a somewhat odd question though..

How does that car parking place work? There is only enough room for 2 cars back to back, but how does one get the cars in and out? :nerd:

Tom,

I'll admit this was an interesting building. The photo doesn't show the interesting design feature of the car elevator that traveled the entire height in the center of the building. It appears that there is obviously not enough room to maneuver a car in the least bit! (haha, hope that they remember to set the parking brake on their 100k Benz!)

I am thinking of taking my wife and kid to visit new york by bus tomorrow. The bus stops at Penn station, is there any affordable place to

stay around that area? I need to know right away to make the decision so i can go tomorrow. Is the GTG still going on?

Love to hear from NewYorker. I can drive too but is there any parking for the day? we want to spend one night only.

Believe it or not but we have never been in NewYork before. This will be our first time. My wife love to visit Canal street too.

Hi Dvn,

The GTG was monday evening in fact.

I'm still in NYC till friday afternoon though and if you decide to come let me know.

I would be happy to have a coffee with you.

NYC: in my opinion, a tourist opinion, but that is what you are too ;) there are tons of places to see or visit in only one day.

But you must WALK. Be prepared to be exausted after your one day in NYC :rolleyes:

I would personaly not drive as the parking is a nightmare. :unsure:

From Pen you can surely take a tour to south manhattan and visit The Brooklyn bridge, then go to battery park and have a view on Liberty, come back and have a thought for the 9/11 victims at ground zero, go east to Soho, Little Italy and Chinatown (canal street).

In the afternoon come back to Midtown have a look at Time Square, walk to Fifth avenue, the Rockefeller Center and Central Park.

The Chrysler building shouldn't be missed (but no visit are allowed) and the Empire state building too (visits allowed).

Allthough it is fantastic to see Manhattan from the top of the empire, it's pricey, takes time and if the sky is too cloudy/Foggy then it's not worth the visit.

If you stay one night only there is a hotel right in front of PenStation by the way.

http://www.hotelpenn.com/

Cheers

Stephane

Nice GTG report and pictures.. I have a somewhat odd question though..

How does that car parking place work? There is only enough room for 2 cars back to back, but how does one get the cars in and out? :nerd:

Thanks Tom

As Bill said :) elevators !

I saw more crazy parkings like that yesterday.

Episode 3

A great day yesterday with a lot of walking, some shopping for my kids (usual stuff like Converse, Vans, Abercrombie...mugs and tees).

The day ended beautifully with an evening out toghether with Jetsons and his better half, Madame L.

A very nice moment with two wonderfull and delicious persons.

Thanks so much for the good time. See you later ;)

Today is another walking day but back to 37th street to check the watches that should have come back from the fair now.

I'll do that after a lunch with Kruzer and some watch handling of course :)

Have a great day all!

Cheers

Stephane

Elevators, huh.. Don't you have to wait for ever for your car to come out?

It crossed my mind, but I thought it would also be too expensive to build a big place like that entirely with elevators and such for normal inner city parking..

But then again, hey, it is the US, right..? :D

Edited by Tom Hawkes