When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New York City Summer GTG: August 25th

Stephane

Restaurant choices  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favourite restaurant

• The spotted pig http://thespottedpig.com/info.php
    • Pete's Tavern http://www.geocities.com/petestavern.geo/location.html
    • Indochine http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7087.../indochine.html
    • Asia de Cuba? http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/1131...at_morgans.html
    • Il Cortile "Little Italy New York" http://ilcortile.com/
    • Canal Street / Chinatown
    • Otto http://www.ottopizzeria.com/index.html

OK. August 25. I'll confirm. So I'll be there. 6PM, lobby of Waldorf Astoria. I don't care much about the food, I'll eat anything except raw fish. I like my sushi broiled. Don't care about the money, either. It's NYC. It costs money just to get there. I'd be interested in a Canal St. adventure, but I hope if we go that we get there before the street vendors close up shop. I don't know how late I'd be interested in staying, I've got a 1 1/2 hour train ride to get back to Jersey. So I'll have to see what happens. How are we going to know who we are? I know who I am, but I don't know who anybody else is. Well, I could probably recognize EDDHEAD from our last NYC GTG, but it's hard to meet in a large place when you don't know what everyone else looks like. We could wear badges ("we don't need no stinkin' badges")

Maybe like this:

post-4211-1218390604_thumb.jpg

Anyway, whatever works for finding each other.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest carlsbadrolex

Its a damn shame the rings didnt happen... That would have been REALLY cool!

I will be the guy walking around most likely wearing my gen 16613 and looking like a lost tourist from the West Coast.

Maybe I will really throw a curve ball and wear my Boston Red Sox jersey. That would go over well, wouldnt it?

Maybe Stephane was simply making a stronger suggestion by placing the spotted pig on the list twice??? And as he is the one traveling the farthest distance, I think he should have the ability to vote at least twice!

T

I made a mistake for the Pig.

In fact I'm voting for Pete ...

So how are we gong to recongnize each other?

Easy I will stand in the lobby with a toursit face and look ...

Don't worry guys, I'm sure we won't leave with another group ;)

Spotted pig has no reservations and a group this size might be tough.

It is awesome though.

Places like Asia de Cuba tends to turn about huge groups of guys.

One request(not to sound like a snob :) ) but the avoiding the touristy areas like little italy and chinatown would be great for the locals. Most of us dread those type of places.

I made a mistake for the Pig.

In fact I'm voting for Pete ...

So how are we gong to recongnize each other?

Easy I will stand in the lobby with a toursit face and look ...

Don't worry guys, I'm sure we won't leave with another group ;)

Oh, I see votes this (my) morning. :yu:

I agree to avoid the touristic places.

As a tourist I already visited them and still can if I want so without the locals :D .

Vlydog: Otto is back in the list. Sorry for forgetting it, it was supposed to be there instead of the second Pig.

As meeting point, the lobby of the Waldorf is very easy.

When entering from Park avenue, you climb the stairs, walk thru the piano area, then the elevators and you will arrive in the "main lobby".

I will be there (with Jetsons and Kruzer probably): you will notice a bunch of guys looking in the direction of the main entrance...waiting...waiting...

Alternatively I can wear a paper saying: "Replica Watch Annual Convention" :rofl:

Oh, I see votes this (my) morning. :yu:

As meeting point, the lobby of the Waldorf is very easy.

When entering from Park avenue, you climb the stairs, walk thru the piano area, then the elevators and you will arrive in the "main lobby".

I will be there (with Jetsons and Kruzer probably): you will notice a bunch of guys looking in the direction of the main entrance...waiting...waiting...

Alternatively I can wear a paper saying: "Replica Watch Annual Convention" :rofl:

Stephane, I have the entire day to myself so I can meet with you before 6 if you like.

Time for a little bump about restaurants. :D

In the mails I received, most do not really care about the place that will be choosen in the end.

From the mini-poll I see that Pete's Tavern is leading.

Unless anybody disagree of course, I suggest we stick to Pete then.

Let us know if you really really disagree before the end of "your" tonight fellow New Yorkers ;)

All the best

Stephane

Petes is ok w/me but one thing to consider, there are many places like it all over the city. food is decent but not an "only in NY" kind of place.

for that kind of experience Canal St or Little Italy or even my fav of all time Union Sq cafe. or its sister Gramercy tavern. But those 2 places are $$$$ just like Asia de Cuba.

My vote here being limited to this list and, as a New Yorker looking to take the out of town guys somewhere special is OTTO's.

I still think Old Homestead (steak) would be the best choice for this large group.

John

Petes is ok w/me but one thing to consider, there are many places like it all over the city. food is decent but not an "only in NY" kind of place.

for that kind of experience Canal St or Little Italy or even my fav of all time Union Sq cafe. or its sister Gramercy tavern. But those 2 places are $$$$ just like Asia de Cuba.

My vote here being limited to this list and, as a New Yorker looking to take the out of town guys somewhere special is OTTO's.

I still think Old Homestead (steak) would be the best choice for this large group.

John

I couldn

We do listen to you guys !!!

Guys, seriously, as I said to Vlydog, I'll follow the group.

Let me redo this:

OK if anybody complains about OTTO, please do it prior your evening ends ...

No complains? Otto is where we will go :D

I guess we need a true local manhattan friend to arrange the booking and tables for 12 or more. Who wants to do it?.

Also, bear in mind that there are still some pending replies...we could aswell end with 5 more participants.

Archibald-JbCb713-Redroom-WarModder-Chieftang didn't yet decline.

And, also, more "late to the party" members may go for a last minute, who knows.

Otto Otto Otto Otto ;)

Cheers

Stephane

i'm up for whatever the group wants...just a place that can accomodate our group comfortably and

some extra space...I'm assuming some of us are bringing watch boxes?

Can we also post if we are intending on bringing a guest.

Reservations numbers that continuously change are troublesome to the establishment.

I am coming alone.

OTTO, OTTO, OTTO

i'm up for whatever the group wants...just a place that can accomodate our group comfortably and

some extra space...I'm assuming some of us are bringing watch boxes?

I was only going to come with one watch (THE YM or 5) but if you guys have a request for a watch you would like to see I'll try to bring it. Also I'm more likely to bring extra reps then wallk around with multiple gens.

My List:

Gen YM plat/ss

Gen Pam 005

Gen Breitling Chronomat

Gen 1958 Gold Omega

Rep DSN Pam 177h

Rep GMT IIC CHS

OK,

I just finished talking to the director of group dining at OTTO. It seems that 12 or more puts us in a special "large group" classification.

For large goups they offer an all inclusive menu which starts at $40.00 a person. I have cut and pasted a passage from their web-site.

OTTO Pizzeria offers a unique program that enables larger parties to sample the richness of the Italian table. Parties of 12 or more enjoy a simple Italian feast of antipasti, Mario Batali

6:30 is fine for me as well.

Drinks package meaning....everyone has to get the same one?

As I see it the beverage packages include unlimited red and white wine, beer, espresso and soft drinks. We have to make a group decision whether to take a beverage package or to go a la carte with drinks; everybody ordering what they want. If we want to stick to beer, wine and soda, I think this is the most economical way to go. We would just have to decide what quality level suits our budget.

I also like the 6:30 time for the reservation.

Guest carlsbadrolex

6:30 and unlimited beer and wine sounds great. AS LONG as someone can point me in the direction of my hotel afterwards! Thats the great thing about NY.... NO CHANCE of a DUI!