When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Caught My Second Fake Rolex, But I Doubted My (non) Expert Eye!

purspeed

I was at a posh "hollywood" party tonight and I saw this Rolex on this guy's wrist. He's "in the business" (meaning an actor/producer/director/etc.) and was wearing this submariner black rollie. I only had a glance, but that was enough for me to realize that something was wrong.

Now, my conscious brain did an input override and I decided, besides the observation and facts, that it must be real b/c the guy is wealthy.

After some time, I realized that it was fake...Status is so important in our determination of gen. and even if your eyes scream "fake" your brain says, "must be real."

What were the problems? The crystal was flush with bezel and the insert was flush or almost projecting from the bezel.

You see, the Rolex has a "industrial" look due to the crystal projection and insert depth and that (even in dark areas) can be easily spotted. Zero of the modern reps TW Classic exempted contain this element. I modded mine to enhance this even more so.

Status folks. It helps even with a substandard sub. :)

I find the quickest and easiest way is just to glance at the crown guards. We can't even get our hands on reps with spot on crown guards from our dealers. The average sub reps which people have (from a guy on the beach/ market) are generally shocking with HUGE CG's!!!

His girl (one of the stars from the movie/'film'-for snobby Brits-Jeepers Creepers 2) wasn't wearing a watch. But, even if she had, I would not have noticed (if U know what I mean).

Actually, not that many folks were wearing watches and the ones that were did not wear Rollies...I'm not too familiar with famous brand names other than Rolex and Omega, so they could have been expensive, but I would not have known it.

I guess this encounter just goes to show that you can't judge a person's wealth by the watch they wear. Interesting that over the years on these boards I've heard so many stories of people wearing reps who could afford them, but for some reason chose to wear a rep...

By the way.... Glad to see ya posting fendushi :thumbsupsmileyanim:

docblacrock: hey, thanks for the compliment! It's always fond to remember the days when we booted the snot nose, pompous, arrogant, stuck up, proper, anal, sarcastic Brits (even though they would have gladly left peacefully a few years down the road anyway). ;):D

jraines87...thanks...uh, but, what's fendushi?

docblacrock: hey, thanks for the compliment! It's always fond to remember the days when we booted the snot nose, pompous, arrogant, stuck up, proper, anal, sarcastic Brits (even though they would have gladly left peacefully a few years down the road anyway). ;):D

jraines87...thanks...uh, but, what's fendushi?

Uh..... Look about 5 or so posts up.... fendushi is a long standing member of these boards... fendushi is a Mod at the old RWG....

Aaah, the "special relationship" :group::lol: