When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best clear and hard top coat to use?

dabom

Just wondering what people use as a clear top coat when doing re-lumes? I noticed all of The Zigmeister's relumes look just like the gen, which means he must use some sort of top coat, since the lume stuff is pasty in real life.

I'm asking this question because I am reluming the pearl on a SSD. I've actually managed to get the process right, and it looks fairly convincing to the naked eye. The biggest problem is the application of a hard protective clearcoat. Right now I'm using nail polish, but it cures too fast so the finish looks too rough.

I'd like something like nail polish, but cures to something harder, and takes longer to cure so I can work with it.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!! Thanks!

30 min epoxy dries clear and hard and it's pretty easy to get a dome.

The Zigmeister stated on one post he has used plastic filler on pearls.

Excellent my man!

but..

1) which epoxy is good to use? I was googling and noticed there's some stuff for surfboards (System 3 SB-112)

2) what is "plastic filler" - if The Zigmeister uses that for pearls, I want that!

THanks!

I have used 30 epoxy from the auto parts store. It's 2 parts and you mix equal amounts together. 5 min epoxy would be good too, I just enjoy extra dry time just in case.

I have no idea what The Zigmeister uses. All he said was plastic filler.

Edit to add that I am only talking about the pearl. I would not put anything on the hour markers.