When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust Or Daydate Advice

mraceman

So I know I'm asking to get flamed but I'll go for it anyways...

I'm not a datejust or daydate guy, but one of my best friends is. Over the past month I've noticed that he's been wearing several different watches, mostly watches that look like DJs and DDs. This guy has been a very good friend over the years and help my family out a LOT when my mom had her stroke three years ago. I know a replica Rollie will never balance things out, but it's the thought that counts, right?

This guy is a businessman, so I'm looking for something that he won't get called out on... something 99%+ accurate. And he's also coming from the world of the quartz, so something reliable is needed. ETA is pretty much a must (I'll still probably have to explain to him how an auto > quartz) Most of his watches have looked like TT braclets and either white or black faces. I'm thinking maybe a nice TT white faced DJ is the ticket. Preferably a dealer that offers a box and papers so that I can make it a nice gift.

TIA all. And while I'm at it... WHO MAKES TEH BEST SUB!?! :Jumpy:

So I know I'm asking to get flamed but I'll go for it anyways...

I'm not a datejust or daydate guy, but one of my best friends is. Over the past month I've noticed that he's been wearing several different watches, mostly watches that look like DJs and DDs. This guy has been a very good friend over the years and help my family out a LOT when my mom had her stroke three years ago. I know a replica Rollie will never balance things out, but it's the thought that counts, right?

This guy is a businessman, so I'm looking for something that he won't get called out on... something 99%+ accurate. And he's also coming from the world of the quartz, so something reliable is needed. ETA is pretty much a must (I'll still probably have to explain to him how an auto > quartz) Most of his watches have looked like TT braclets and either white or black faces. I'm thinking maybe a nice TT white faced DJ is the ticket. Preferably a dealer that offers a box and papers so that I can make it a nice gift.

TIA all. And while I'm at it... WHO MAKES TEH BEST SUB!?! :Jumpy:

ROLEX for sure! :Jumpy:

There have been a ton of posts on the subject, but buying yellow gold reps tends to be a crap shoot. First of all, gold alloy is not all the same mixture of alloys so there's no guarantee that rep gold will match gen gold from a particular manufacturer, even if the carat content is the same. But carat content is not the same, gen Rolexes have 18kt, almost all reps use 14kt.

Also, plated gold wears and scratches off since it's only a few microns thick. Not a big problem for rep owners since most rotate numerous watches, but a few months of constant wear and it's not unusual for some areas of plating to get rubbed or scratched off on gold plated reps. Your friend might not appreciate that.

I had a gen TT DJ and a rep of the same watch from abay -- it was not that close side by side. The rep DJ has a slightly weird, orangy quality to the gold, probably from bumping up copper content to try to replicate the look of 18kt. I sold it to a friend who wanted it for $50, I couldn't wear it. The watch itself was quite decent and SS DJ's from aspire are actually very accurate so it's not a rep problem, but a gold problem.

It's pretty well known that DJ's/DD's have been repped since the stone age, and a lot of people wear them, both fake and gen. I've had my gen TT questioned just because people tend to see a gold datejust and assume it must be fake. This is annoying when the watch is gen, potentially embarrassing if the watch is in fact fake.

Edited by kanerich

Look thru the reviews and you'll find that the dealers here all carry very good rep DDs & DJs. I know PT had some solid 14k TTs before in those models, and thought I remember a couple others had the solid 14k too. The reviews might help you there, and then you can always email those dealers and tell them what you're looking for. In the SS, you can go to just about all the dealers and get a very good rep in those models with an ETA in them. Jay & Angel @ silix-prime have a bunch of SS with ETAs in them and are selling them pretty cheap, and they also have the boxes to go with them for another $30/35. They are very good people and easy to deal with. Give them a bit to reply to your emails, and be patient getting their website to load . . . takes forever . . .in fact tonight it's timed out a couple times for me, but it's worth the wait. You can also get them thru their silixwatch site, but that one has their cheapies mostly with the Asian movements, but you can email them & tell them what you're looking for.

Good Luck,

B

The best Sub ??

The Sandwich Factory on Market St.

Edited by Brian

Look thru the reviews and you'll find that the dealers here all carry very good rep DDs & DJs. I know PT had some solid 14k TTs before in those models, and thought I remember a couple others had the solid 14k too. The reviews might help you there, and then you can always email those dealers and tell them what you're looking for. In the SS, you can go to just about all the dealers and get a very good rep in those models with an ETA in them. Jay & Angel @ silix-prime have a bunch of SS with ETAs in them and are selling them pretty cheap, and they also have the boxes to go with them for another $30/35. They are very good people and easy to deal with. Give them a bit to reply to your emails, and be patient getting their website to load . . . takes forever . . .in fact tonight it's timed out a couple times for me, but it's worth the wait. You can also get them thru their silixwatch site, but that one has their cheapies mostly with the Asian movements, but you can email them & tell them what you're looking for.

Good Luck,

B

The best Sub ??

The Sandwich Factory on Market St.

contact ruby at goldmedal88@126.com she can get solid 18k tt dj and they are great. solid18k and the color is good, hands are the correct lenth, logo is in the correct place and the date mag is good enough. they are the best i've seen. your freind will be happy. she can get whatever you want, just e-mail her a picture of what you want and she will locate and she checks the quality before she sends. she dosn't dropship. hope that helps, marc