When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recommended Watch Winder

freddy333

I just received a new AceTimer dual-watch winder that impressed me enough to post a positive recommendation for others looking for the same.

The unit has a high gloss cherrywood finish with a soft/plush suede-like interior. The cushions are 2-part, which should provide a comfortable & secure fit for most (but probably not all) wrist & watch sizes. The unit is virtually silent when running with the cover closed (& my ear right next to the case) & barely audible with the cover open. Settings for 650, 850 or 1,000 turns/day (each setting automatically alternates between cw & ccw rotations - this is not user-controllable). Runs on either 2 D-cell batteries (not included) or AC power supply (adapters for US or EU sockets are included). Hopefully, my opinion will remain positive through & beyond the term of the warranty (1 year).

$90

A quick & dirty picture

winder0011.jpg

Click the pic or search out ebay number - 310064280068

I am NOT affiliated with the seller.

This winder is so quiet that I have to keep looking over at it (the unit is sitting 1.5 feet from my desk) to see if the watches are actually being turned. They are.

Based on my initial impressions & Brom's positive comments after owning his for 3 months, I cannot see any (technical) reason why anyone would need to spend more than $90 for a dual watch winder. :)

Highly unlikely since modern auto-wind mainspring barrels contain a type of clutch to prevent overwinding. I suppose it is possible to accelerate the wear on the auto-wind gearing if the watch is hyperwound (as might happen if you use 1 of those constant motion winders that continually wind the watch 24/7 without pauses), but this & most of the better winders provide 3 winding settings as I described above. If you are still uncomfortable, simply use the winder's lowest setting (after giving the watch a full manual wind of 40 turns) & if the watch stops in a week or 2, you know you need to bump the setting up to the next speed.

I have the 4 place winder and it has been doing well. I have noticed that I must put it on the highest setting to keep my PAM going so far.

What setting are you using and are you noticing that the time is staying current?

I use the middle setting (850/day) for 2 vintage DJs (1570 & 3055 movements).