When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WTF is this then ?

fishgodeep

Never seen this before :shock:

Could it be what happens if you send your 5218-201/A to OP and they decide you need a new face ??

+400% should do it ...a beautiful high res image!!

Thoughts ??

FGD

I remember this pic. It's from last month antiquorum sale. There were a post on timezone about it.

Look at the final price for this odd watch, it's not at the value of preV. Photoshop ? Don't think it came like this after servicing. The logo is too big, there's not L dial. It looks like a mix of old and new dial.

But frankly strange, strange, strange.

I remember this pic. It's from last month antiquorum sale. There were a post on timezone about it.

Look at the final price for this odd watch, it's not at the value of preV. Photoshop ? Don't think it came like this after servicing. The logo is too big, there's not L dial. It looks like a mix of old and new dial.

But frankly strange, strange, strange.

Thanks for the input..

It looks like a 112 Sandwich Dial - with the gilt text same as H series+

Maybe this is the "upgrade" option you don't get a choice over - hence the sale price...

FGD

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the input..

It looks like a 112 Sandwich Dial - with the gilt text same as H series+

Maybe this is the "upgrade" option you don't get a choice over - hence the sale price...

FGD

Just seen this post as well Simon... Definately Photoshop.. it has some signs on the place were dial meets the case. :)

Absolutely no idea what that is. While I know nothing about Photoshop there is something wierd about the photo itself. Is it posible that the actual pic of the genuine watch had a huge glare on the crystal and someone tried to provide a catalogue shot using bits of other Panerai stock pics to mock up a logo dial?

I doubt if there is a service-replacement dial at all and certainly anyone getting one of those in his 5218/201A would be less than impressed.

Just a thought - maybe DSN has the PANERAI contract for replacement parts??? LOL

Surely the pic was retouched to make the dial full and deep black. The color (dropper) tool of Paint Shop Pro gives an RGB value of 0,0,0 (i.e. complete black) in any point of the dial. No way that a true camera shot can reach such a value other than on occasional points.

Also, it was an extremely poor work, as the dial contour looks unnaturally sheer against the surrounding bezel inner. The retoucher should have used at least 2-3 more pixels for shading or feathering instead, in order to give it a more natural look.

Considering the low skill of the retoucher, I bet that the L SWISS or T SWISS text, and possibly other text, also got lost in the retouch job. If I could examine the original pic rather than this resized pic maybe I might tell something more.