When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Swap Question for the Experts

jnkay

Interstingly, I have an Asian 2836-2 movement in my GMT IIc that stops all the time but have no issues with the GMT hand keeping sync, and I have an "ETA" 2836-2 version also that both stops and has a nonfunctioning GMT hand.

I have been researching inexpensive potential donor watches I can canibalize for a ETA 2893-2 GMT movement. I'm aware of the Steinhard/Debaufre GMTs, but am having difficulty finding a used one. Then I came across the Philip Wisdom GMT and question whether it would do the trick. These are inexpensive at only $250, but the description states it uses an ETA 2893, and even describes all of the functions of this movement, but the watch doesn't have a date and may not have a second hand, judging from the picture.

Is this some sort of stripped down movement, or could it run the GMT hand, second hand and date on a GMT-II? Any thoughts, suggestions?

http://watchorbit.com/product/?familyid=J1...&storeid=20

Update: I watched a video on the ShopNBC site (they aparently are the sole US distributers of this watch brand). It shows how the GMT function works; rather than a GMT hand, there is a timezone wheel forming the center part of the dial. You actually rotate the wheel to select the major city whose time you wish to track. So, it's not a 24-hour time function, but rather a 12 hour time function for the second timezone being tracked. Therefore, if transplanted into a GMT II, the GMT hand would likely do a 12 hour rotation just lik the normal hour hand. The watch does have hour, minute and second hands, plus the "gmt" wheel function. The only complication missing from this watch is the date.

There are three version of the 2893. 2893-1, 2893-2, 2893-3. Each is the same base with slightly different functions. That one looks like it is the 2893-3

Technical data is HERE

You may be able to order the correct parts for the 2893-2 to covert the movement to fuction with date and 24H hand, but with parts and labour, you will probably be better off just finding a 2893-2 movement.

There are three version of the 2893. 2893-1, 2893-2, 2893-3. Each is the same base with slightly different functions. That one looks like it is the 2893-3

Technical data is HERE

You may be able to order the correct parts for the 2893-2 to covert the movement to fuction with date and 24H hand, but with parts and labour, you will probably be better off just finding a 2893-2 movement.

Agree, it looks like the -3. Thanks for the information, it made the classification of this movement pretty clear, and I wouldn't have known where to find it.