When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling on all the *bay experts

vlydog

I few weeks ago my brother ask me if he could get me a gift. We try to feed each others hobby addictions with special presents. This was just about the time I was gather parts for my 5513 project. Well he paid just north of $300.00 for an aftermarket dial on the bay. Singer blank with the description: "This dial has been refinished by a professional."

I had my doubts about its authenticity but accepted it with appreciation. Well long story short, I decided to not use it and asked my brother if he would try and sell it again on the bay.

Well it sold and several days went but without payment and then he received this:

Hi,

I wanted to explain what I have been doing about this dial. I sent scans of it to several people who know Rolex parts much better than I do, and they all agree that it is a counterfeit dial. I have a scan of a known genuine dial that shows the 'Singer' and the trademark and it clearly is not the same. It is close, but the font is different.

The problem with it being not genuine is that if anyone takes the watch to be serviced, Rolex can, and usually does confiscate counterfeit parts like that. If it didn't have the trademark counterfeited on the back, they might not get so upset about it. But with the trademark counterfeited, I've been told they definitely will get pissed. I am worried about selling the watch to an innocent person and having them surprised when Rolex snatches their dial and/or the whole watch from them. That may have been why your brother did not want to use the dial.

I sell stuff on eBay myself, so I know how much of an inconvenience this is to you, so please let me know how much your costs are and I will reimburse you. Also, you can get your listing fees refunded. I know you have a return policy, but it wouldn't make any sense to go ahead with buying it because I just cannot use it.

Thank you, and I am sorry. I really do need that type of dial.

What recourse do we have?

I agree with Chief that you should accept the deal he is offering.

My experience has always been that unless you purchase your luxury watch brand redial directly from a professional restorer like Universal Watch Repair, you are almost definitely buying a new (trademark infringing) aftermarket dial.

I don't know if that's how it reads to me.

Looks like he doesn't want it and will return it and cover your costs.

Ken

Agreed. The guy will most likely agree to "buyer and seller have mutually decided to cancel the transaction" (or something similar). This will lead to eBay refunding your auction costs (for placing the item for sale).

I would definately take the deal. A friend of mine had a similar problem with a bracelet he was trying to sell and the guy starting threatening him.

Contact the seller of the dial though, maybe you can work out something similar.

Good luck.

Edited by Dutchy