When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swan Neck question

550bryan

I.m a nubie, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference or function of the dagger swan neck that seems to be present in the better movement? Thanks

The function of the swan neck is to fine tune the regulation of the movement.

In order to regulate the movement (make it run more accurate) you meed to move the dagger or pointer up or down (+ or - on the scale) to speed it up or slow it down as necessary. It only takes very fine movement to make a difference of several seconds per day. If you look closely at the swan neck, you will notice that on the top side, there is a screw that touches the dagger. The swan neck wraps around from the screw side to the bottom side of the dagger putting pressure on the dagger. So, you can micro adjust the regulator by turning the screw slightly clockwise to slow it down, or counter clockwise to speed it up.

It really works great. I was able to make mine run about -1 sec every 2 days (or -1/2 sec/day) I'd rather see it run a little fast, so eventually I'll pull the movement and turn it about 1/8 a turn counter clockwise to speed it up slightly.

I hope this makes sense.

Mike

Mike, Your description makes sense, and is sorta what I figured given its location on the movement. The post from P4GTR is interesting. From your post it seems, at least on some movments, it is functional. Thanks, 550bryan

Mike, Your description makes sense, and is sorta what I figured given its location on the movement. The post from P4GTR is interesting. From your post it seems, at least on some movments, it is functional. Thanks, 550bryan

Mine is definitely functional. As far as I know, all the screws work. The problem is, that the screw is too short and doesn't allow for full motion throughout the entire adjustment range. It also seems like it is usually screwed all the way in. Mine does give enough range to fine tune it though.

I wish someone would produce replacement screws that are longer. However, the screw is soooo small, I think it would be pretty hard to replace it. But I'd like to try. :D

@P4GTR, if you ever have your movement uncased, try to turn the screw counter clockwise. I'll bet it turns.