When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Rep.

Irontomkidd

After lots of research I decided to get the Retro Edition GMT Master II form Josh. The watch arrived in about a week, from china to the Midwest in a week. Not bad. At first glance the watch is perfect, I have however found 2 flaws that bother me. 1 the crown does not sit with the Coronet properly oriented. 2 and the most annoying to me is the god awful bezel, the red stops to soon and the numerals are not crisp.

As I am new to this and am not a watch expert I would like some opinions on this watch, any other flaws that I have over looked? I did think the CG looked good.

Is it possible to replace the bezel on this particular watch and where can you get a good bezel? Thanks in advance.

post-14456-1216500383_thumb.jpg post-14456-1216500430_thumb.jpg post-14456-1216500484_thumb.jpg post-14456-1216500548_thumb.jpgpost-14456-1216500620_thumb.jpg post-14456-1216500665_thumb.jpg post-14456-1216500714_thumb.jpg

The crown on my Genuine Sub is also not properly oriented. It is actually just plain luck if the crown is oriented straight up and down when looking at a side view of the watch. My Rolex watchmaker said that it has to do with where the threads for the the crown tube start and then how many rotations there are until it stops. Some of the Rolex watchmakers will work on this if the customer is persistant. To me it's not that much of a big deal.

As far as the bezel goes there are plenty of good ones to be had. Just do a search here on the forum and you will find some great discussions and suggestions for replacements. This is the one mod I have done myself. It's pretty easy and if you look for it there is a great tutorial. Just make sure not to glue the bezel in with too much glue or you will find that the bezel will no longer rotate.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your new pictures with us.

At first glance the watch is perfect, I have however found 2 flaws that bother me. 1 the crown does not sit with the Coronet properly oriented. 2 and the most annoying to me is the god awful bezel, the red stops to soon and the numerals are not crisp.

As I am new to this and am not a watch expert I would like some opinions on this watch, any other flaws that I have over looked? I did think the CG looked good.

post-14456-1216500484_thumb.jpg post-14456-1216500620_thumb.jpg

Welcome & congrads on your 1st rep. Nice choice too.

In my opinion, the bezel is not that bad. At least, not the 1st thing that catches my eye as being suspect. Better bezel inserts & pearls can be had, but it all depends on how much time & money you want to invest in a rep.

The more obvious flaws to me are the too-large laser etching of the coronet on the crystal at 6 o'clock (it should require a loupe to see under normal lighting conditions) & the bracelet, which differs enough from the gen bracelet as to be noticeable if you know what to look for (search google for some gen Rolex Sub 93150 or 93160 bracelets & compare the details of your clasp (the size/shape/location of the coronet, the finger indent for the flip-lock, the varying thickness of links from end links to clasp, etc.) to those of the gens. If you want to go crazy ($800+), you can source a gen bracelet for your watch, which I think will improve not only your rep's appearance, but also its fit & finish (which no rep can fully replicate). And you can always use the gen bracelet on a gen Sub head if you go that route in the future.

Search out By-Tor's reviews of the GMTII (there are a few of them & all worth a serious read -- you can find links in his tagline).