When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reliable movements

docdoc

I have read a lot about the bad issue some may have with the Asian 7750 movement. It looks like it almost always need servicing after purchase or at least after a few years… So I was wondering what was the point of spending 250$+200$ for a rep, if for the price of 4 or 5 serviced reps you can have a nice gen?

So I wonder if for a newbie like me, as a start, it would not be easier to spend 100$ or so (instead of 250$) to get reps with… quartz movement and identical design? I know, I know this is blasphemy to say this here ! But I have read that the quartz movement doesn't need as much attention as the more traditional movements. So I was just wondering if it was clever to buy 100/150$ rep with cheap or quartz movements…

And also just to be sure… an automatic asian 7750 movement give the sec hand a smooth movement contrary to the quartz movement, right ?

Any some advice would be very welcome?

Edited by docdoc

I'd say go for the classic movements...but that's my personal opinion... I feel that mechanical watches have more character than quartz watches and if you wind a watch at the beginning of the day you can be almost certain that it won't suddenly stop in the middle of the day (like a quartz one might).

I've got a few gen handwinds from about 65 years ago. To my knowledge, they've never been serviced.

Now, do they work? Yes. They might not keep COSC time but they are, at most, 20-30 seconds off per day. This is easily corrected using the movement regulator (really not tough) and doesn't require a service... SHOULD they be serviced? Most likely. Does it really destroy the movement and send everything to hell if you don't have it done every 3 years? No. The movement might not keep time as accurately but that may be a few seconds or minutes per day off (one of my watches was 1 minute off with no regulation after 60 years... my watchsmith (a true watchsmith, not a tinkerer...he can strip a movement and reassemble the damn thing blind) says its has some gunk/build up and needs a good cleaning/oiling (as will all watchmakers, and they're correct) but it isn't going to explode on me tomorrow. In the long run, not servicing for MANY years could cause damage to the finer, more delicate parts of the mechanism, but that's why I'm advising you to buy a handwind - fewer parts and a pretty solid reputation around the boards.

As for a service, I know another great guy in PA (www.watchdoctor.biz - rec'd by a member here, forget who but thanks) who did some great work on a vintage Omega I purchased for my grandad. I had my watchmaker (who was away at the time, else I'd have had him do it but the birthday was before he got back...anyways) take a look at the work and he said that it was cleaned, oiled, and assembled spot on and timed nearly perfectly on the bench/machine (This is an automatic movement that hadn't been serviced in 35 years and was visibly dirty / about 6 minutes fast when I rec'd it/opened the case back). Total charge? $95 including insured shipping back to me and great email communication/explanation... hardly the 500 + Rolex charges.

Also, with the prices reps are (currently) at, you might tire of a watch and move on to a new one in a year or so (or week ;) ) and it really won't be an issue.

I say give it a try, worst case, you're out a few bucks... we've all blown money on worse endeavors before right?

Edit to add: Yes, the mechanical movements have the "smooth" sweeping seconds hands.

The 7750 is a fine movement. Problems depend on the model and the placement of the seconds. Either way if you don't service it you will have a problem. and I know everyone recoils when they hear quartz but they are more reliable and accurate. There is no way around it.

You will strugle to get a good choice of reps that are of a good quality in quartz, i know that Narikaa ofteren has a few though. I personaly dont tlike the idea of a quartz movement in a watch that should be auto/mechanical, I dont think i wouls buy another quartz gen, i just like the mechanics, An a point of reliability, the asian 21j has proved its self over many years (yes there have been failiers) i was wearing a seadweller yesterday that i bought in 2004, as soon as i pick it up it starts ticking away with out a problem, and i have ABUSED this watch, ETAs can give problems and if you read into to the gen forums they can be just a problematic.

Ii think I will go for the Speedmaster lemania and the SMP 7750, I guess. I will see as time goes by. ANd by any ways I am not spending the prices of gen here so hell, why not give the mechanical movement fromchina a try !! thanks for all the infos ;)

I think you will be happy with that speedmaster, that realy is a work horse. Even though it is not a hacking movement (the seconds cant be stopped by pulling the crown) mine runns to with in plus 2 seconds a day!!

Aaaargh ! I just re-read Pugwash review of its speedy (that he sold like 8 months ago, damn I am too late !) and realize that it is definitely the one speedy rep I have to find (at a reasonable price — the 200

Edited by docdoc