When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help on 177h

550bryan

I'm new to this and need help on deciding on a watch. It's from Davidsen and I realize he gets mixed reviews and only accepts WU payment. I haven't been able to find a comparable watch anywhere else though. It's a swiss movement watch with upgrades as reflected in this link;

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=19499

I'm hoping someone has actually purchased the watch from him and can give me feedback, but if any of the experts on the forum (which certainly excludes me) wants to give me any insights on the quality/ accuracy compared to the gen/opinion on price etc. I would really appreciate it. Thanks 550bryan

I'm new to this and need help on deciding on a watch. It's from Davidsen and I realize he gets mixed reviews and only accepts WU payment. I haven't been able to find a comparable watch anywhere else though. It's a swiss movement watch with upgrades as reflected in this link;

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=19499

I'm hoping someone has actually purchased the watch from him and can give me feedback, but if any of the experts on the forum (which certainly excludes me) wants to give me any insights on the quality/ accuracy compared to the gen/opinion on price etc. I would really appreciate it. Thanks 550bryan

I contact davidsen a few weeks ago and I guess the price shown on the page has changed from 390$ to 430$ (that's the price he gave me

Too bad he's not showing a frontal picture, so we can check the L Swiss L and the shape of the 2, 3 and 6.

Note that the fonts on the gen are supposed to be yellowish off-white. These look clear white as sandwhich dials from all collectors still do.

Also double check that the dial is the right color of black. Sometimes it's just the lightening, but other times DSN has slightly different and incorrect dial colors.

Guys, Thanks for the advice, you're helping me slowly become more educated, which is a challenge given the comlexity of the rep market. I really like the watch, but don't want to make a dumb decision, which I've been known to do in the past. 550bryan

I would be very interested in hearing about this model as well. I am looking for a 177 and have been looking at these from Josh:

PN17702 Pam 177 Titanium Swiss Unitas 6497 Swan Neck

PN17704 Pam 177 H Series Titanium Marina Asian Unitas 6497 Swan

Any comments?

Regards,

Andreas

I think you will find only the last one is available at the moment if you email Josh. However, that watch with free shipping is a REALLY GOOD DEAL.

I've looked at the 177's from Josh as well and they look good. I was a little concerned that his swiss movement watch didn't say it was super lumed, so I assume it isn't. Also the crown seems to sit a little far from the case (see the link below to the gen 177). The Asian movement watch is a good deal, but I'm looking for the best rep I can find. That said I do want "value" for my money and a watch that is as close as I can find to the gen 177h. I'm still hoping I can find someone who has actually purchased this 177h from Davidsen. Aslo I guess I should e-mail him to see if he actually has the watch, as it seems he doesn't update his offerings too often. In any case this thread is helping me understand the issues better. Thanks to all of you for your help. 550bryan

http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_lingu...id_categoria=34

Both Josh and DSN's offerings will be good but neither will be perfect, thats the way of the reps.

Ease of purchase go with Josh , the lume on 177 is pretty OK IMO. The issue I had with my Cartel 177 was the crown was not what was shown in the picture and the CG was sanded down, I installed a DSN CG and crown and its pretty nice now.

p7192538ry7.jpg

I have a DSN Ti 055 and it is of a higher quality in most repects and feels the more solid watch again IMHO but it was a more expensive item.

If you can appreciate that you are buying a "rep" then either watch will be great, once you invest in a decent strap.

p6252343xx7.jpg

Above DSN 055 , 127 and 177ti

Thats my 0.02$

ST4

Some pictures I see from the PAM177 seem to have a strong blue dial. Must be the AR (real AR?) on the glass. But the dial just don't seems to be rea black.

Is this just the photo? In real it is just real black (as seen in pics from the PAM111)?

The case from the PAM177 seems a little different than the case of a PAM111. Of course it's titanium, but I am talking abot the shape. It looks a bit oval shaped instead of round shaped. I see things which aren't there, right?

Case shape of a PAM177 is the same as a PAM111 case shape?

http://www.pc-80108.com/pn17704-series-[ce...wan-p-4582.html

PS: I am also looking for a PAM177 ;)

I e-mailed DSN for a price on his 177H and got this:

Pam 177h -an Up Grade Version, WITH NEW FONT DIAL AND SWSS MOVT us$ 460.00/pc shipped.

If I get the one from Josh for $248 I still need to:

upgrade the CG $80 from T

Upgrade the crystal to Saphire: $75

Lume : ?

In the end isn't it easier to buy from DSN? I guess I want to know or see pictures, are there any issues with DSN's dials or anything else that you guys would recommend not buying one from him?

Your help is appreciated!

Andreas

Andreas and I are exactly in the same position, looking for the best 177h we can find, but unwilling to drop about $500 for a watch without having some first hand knowledge that it's a reaonable buy on a watch close to the gen article. Regardless, this thread has helped me gain knowlege on the complex world of rep watches, thanks for your help. 550bryan

P.S. It's making me wonder whether I should rethink my choice to another model. It's really important to find a watch that's close to the gen Panerai, after all you don't want to pay $500 for a watch that's obviously a rep when you wear it.......

It's really important to find a watch that's close to the gen Panerai, after all you don't want to pay $500 for a watch that's obviously a rep when you wear it.......

Then there's only one way to go: http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=221 (+cannon pinion upgrade). Add Superlume, remove the AR and it's the closest to the gen you can get.

Andreas and I are exactly in the same position, looking for the best 177h we can find, but unwilling to drop about $500 for a watch without having some first hand knowledge that it's a reaonable buy on a watch close to the gen article. Regardless, this thread has helped me gain knowlege on the complex world of rep watches, thanks for your help. 550bryan

P.S. It's making me wonder whether I should rethink my choice to another model. It's really important to find a watch that's close to the gen Panerai, after all you don't want to pay $500 for a watch that's obviously a rep when you wear it.......

Dude have you got any PAM's already? Maybe you need to test the PAM water with a cheaper version first. Do you move in circles of People that would know a Real Panerai if they saw one. The Dealers here don't really sell crappy watches , for $150 you can get a VERY good looking model.

Wearing reps is a state of mind.

ST4

Dude have you got any PAM's already? Maybe you need to test the PAM water with a cheaper version first. Do you move in circles of People that would know a Real Panerai if they saw one. The Dealers here don't really sell crappy watches , for $150 you can get a VERY good looking model.

Wearing reps is a state of mind.

ST4

That is exactly what I told myself; I was about to go for the nice out of the box 177H from DSN and tols myself that for my first ever PAM maybe it would be more clever to start with 150$ model

Good advice from stormtooper4. I do have a couple of rep PAM's, a really bad one I picked up on a wim while in Viet Nam (at the time knowing very little about reps and PAM's) and a decnt 111h I purchased from Deltick, although the crown on that watch sits too far from the case which I'm looking into having fixed. I must admit I'm totally hooked on watches and I have friends with genuine PAM's who might spot the difference. Over my life I purchsed many genuine watches with the two most expensive being a Brietling world navitimer and a Rolex platinum and ss yatchmaster, but I also have an Omega constellation chrono (very nice and rare gold and ss edition) a couple of Longines, a Corum admirals cup (love the dial), a Choppard mille miglia, a Ball nighttrain, and several others. I have spent way too much money on watches and always seem to want more. I've been interested in PAM's for ahwile but have been unwilling to step up to the $4,000-$5,000 and up that a new or even slightly used one costs. That's why I've started to look at reps, but I really want a "high quality" one if I can find it. I'm willing to move off a 177h to another model if it means getting one that is very close to the original version. I do want a simple dial ( like the sandwich dial best) so would lean toward the lower numbered models. I don't want a date wheel ( many look poorly done) no power reserve dial, probably no chrono, althought I like that style of watch. To me the best PAM's are the simple ones, so my search continues. Thanks to everyone for their advice, every little bit is helping me gain knowledge and perspective. 550bryan

I don't think I would drop $450 on dvsns. Maybe buy parts from him, crownguard and stem.

Here's my infamous "dead at midnight" 177H. Its the asian from Josh on a strapculture legend, thats it, and it makes me happy.

gnomepix015.jpg

gnomepix020.jpg

The "dead at midnight" picture (true story.)

DSC01685.jpg

DSC012444.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

DSC014733.jpg

Flaws that dont bother me on a watch

DSC01449.jpg

might bother you :)