When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Rolex is up to in 2009

jnkay

There has been a lot of speculation, even (especially) on gen rolex forums, about whether the redone Submariner uses a different color blue dial or whether it's just the lighting of the pictures; and if it is a new color, whether it will carry over to the two-tone model. This past couple weeks, I talked with a couple of AD salespeople who are really into the brand. These guys work at two different stores, for two different companies, so when they say the same thing I tend to believe it. Both state that Rolex for some reason cannot duplicate the current blue color of the bezel in ceramic (don't know why), and once the redone sub debuts in Fall 2008 as a white or yellow gold model, the French Blue color will be the new standard. Interesting and horrifying at the same time. I hope they are wrong, although it might make my TT model more valuable one day.

Meanwhile, the black dial SS and TT models will likely debut sometime in early to mid-2009, possibly together or spaced several months apart. Still no confirmation as to whether the center link will be polished or brushed, although all the salespeople stated they would be surprised if it didn't remain brushed. They expect the price of the SS model to slot in a bit below the GMT II, at around $6000, but I wouldn't put any faith in that number.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I dont put much faith in anything that a salesman at an AD says. If I were you, I would consider it pure chance that you received the same info from two salesman. If you were to contact 2 or three more, you would most definitely find new and more confusing information. The simple fact is, until they receive information directly from Rolex SA in the form of an official notice, EVERYTHING is speculation.

Call or go in and ask about the DSSD... they have no clue. Fall/Winter 2008 was the best estimate they could give and I have been given estimates of price from $7200 to $9800.

Your best bet is to stick with the forums... They seem to be MUCH MORE informed than the dealers!

I don't really care what they're up to. It has been all downhill for Rolex since they released the YMII. GMTII is the only good looking watch they have released lately, but even that one lost the original spirit.

I don't like the new Sub case, either... not to mention the DeepSea. I'm just terrified to see what they're going to do to ExpII next.

My suggestion: Buy gens of the current 16710, 16610, 16570 and 16600 while you still can. I'm still blaming myself for not buying a 1675 when they were still cheap... and look at the prices now!!!! The prices of the classic models are going to skyrocket... mark these words.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Curios as to how he managed that as it has not been released yet... I know there are some floating around, but people such as Mr. Dowling have them.

Not stating that it isnt possible... just interested in how it happened. I offered my AD $9000 cash two weeks ago to MAKE SURE I was at the top of the list and she assured me that I was and that they could not take the deposit.

My friend is a major collector (he just sold 14 vintage daytona's). Still has about 20 various rolex's. He is apparently one of those who gets it first. I saw it before I knew it was hard to get. That was three weeks ago, so they are around.

Robert, thank You for the feedback on the DSSD. Since You are one of the very few people to have handled it, can You give us some feedback on how it feels? Is it a SD on steroids? Does it sit like a puck on the wrist? Is the lock ring as prominent as the pics show? :)

BTW: I know that only a few people, even in timezone, have seen it in real life, and it would be great if You could snap any kind of picture of it :)