When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland V1

Rolexman

Hi guys,

Today I received the Skyland V1. Due to my working hours and (ahum) my social life I have very little time to do a review at the moment so therfore you will have to do with some short observations. If I get the chance I will shoot some pics over the week-end.

First of all to be clear this is the V1. I'm in the middle of ordering a V2 so maybe I will do a comparison if I have the time. Back on track. The whole 'super rep' thingy is over... all new reps are 'super reps' IMO. Quality and finish are superB compared to what was.

- Well constructed crown and tube. Nice and long thread. Crown and tube are both sealed with a gasket.

- Bezel construction is somewhat loose. It has some slack. No where near the quality of the UBCE.

- 'b' on bezel is etched

- Very hard to push chrono pushers (more later)

- AR OK but not as good as the UBCE.

- Case back nice and crisp

- Movement?.... CRAP!

The a7750 keeps good time but as soon as the chronograph is engaged the chrono second hand is very jerky. So jerky it sometimes stops (and therefore also stoping the rest of the movement). Also the chrono cam sticks which means the hands (chrono second and minute) jump all over the place when I reset.

As I said before the chrono pushers were very heavy to push so I removed the movement and saw 1 pusher missed a c-clip. WTF. This way the pusher could be pushed out without anything holding it. I was glad I noticed it before I lost the pusher. Then I noticed each pusher was equipped with 2(!!) seals which explained why they were hard to push. So I greased all the seals and put it all back together (after adding the c-clip off course). Tested it at 6 bar. No problem.

I'm bugged out the movement doesn't function as it should but on the other hand this is a good reason for servicing.

Overall a nice watch. I don't know if it's the cheap diver strap or what but this one somehow doesn't scream quality like the UBCE.

BTW. The rehaut is made out of steel an can easily be seperated from the dial!... good to know if you want to fix the 60-80 flaw on the V2 :)

Interesting. Watches seem to come in good and bad batches. I just sold a new UBCE w/ updated font, because it wasn't as gen-like as my Skyland V1 when I compared the two. I had the exact opposite experience between them also. The bezel and AR were better on the Skyland i received.

Interesting. Watches seem to come in good and bad batches. I just sold a new UBCE w/ updated font, because it wasn't as gen-like as my Skyland V1 when I compared the two. I had the exact opposite experience between them also. The bezel and AR were better on the Skyland i received.

Odd indeed. My UBCE is almost a year old....

Rolexman, the jerky second hand is normal on watches this big. On my gen it is also a little bit jerky, nowhere near as smooth as my gen BCE. When I first bought it, I immediately noticed it and asked my friend at the AD and he told me that it's perfectly normal. I've also seen many posts on TZ talking about this. On the super avenger the second hand is even more jerky, bigger the watch the more jerky it gets

Edited by UB7

Rolexman, the jerky second hand is normal on watches this big. On my gen it is also a little bit jerky, nowhere near as smooth as my gen BCE. When I first bought it, I immediately noticed it and asked my friend at the AD and he told me that it's perfectly normal. I've also seen many posts on TZ talking about this. On the super avenger the second hand is even more jerky, bigger the watch the more jerky it gets

Thanks for the info UB7..... so jerky it stops running? I don't think that's normal :p. But you are indeed correct, on big dials the second hand looks more jerky because each seperate tick becomes more noticeable due to the longer second hand.