When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Milgauss! I'm looking to get one... Is it Rare?

alienfromneptune

So I was at a Dealer a couple of days ago and saw the Milgauss in person. This watch astonished me. One of Rolexes Most simple and elegant watches i've seen.

So the Dealer told me that it is a Rare watch to come by and they usually get one or two every year!!

is this True? :g:

So Looking at the watch it seems like a Rep would be a great choice because there is no day or date window of any sort and really no special mods will have to be done to the Movement! I'm just guessing this....

The Milgauss I'm talking about would probably be one like this.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone owned one of these watches here before?

2. If so How is it holding up?

3. How close to the Gen does it look and feel?

4. Is it really as rare as the dealer told me?

5. Would the Swiss movement be modded or not in anyway (By mod I mean like the GMT)?

6. where can I get the best one?

Thanks Guys

P.S. I found this link on Google under Milgauss. It seems like the Milgauss is being sold more than the Retail Value! take a look Here.

does this mean anything?

Edited by alienfromneptune

1. Members have

2. Probably fine

3. The case sizes are off... the real Milgauss uses a 40 mm case (I think) and the datejust uses a 38mm case. The factories just recycle the datejust case for the Milgauss rep and, thus, the rep is inaccurate...probably a few issues with the dial print and crown/tube too...there always are with Rolex

4. The Special Editions (green sapphire) are pretty rare...the vintages are especially rare...I'll try to post some older pics my grandfather had of his (it was like $200 back in the day and his company (Polaroid) purchased one for him and a few of the other chemical engineers).

5. Swiss movement wouldn't be modded...assuming of course, it really was Swiss and not a chinese clone sold to you as a swiss

6. Best one's come from a company called Rolex...failing that, and for all your other questions, I'd suggest using the Search Box at the top of the screen and typing in "Milgauss" to find extensive answers to most, if not all of your questions.

Welcome to the Forum!!

I'll let you know once my project is completed.. soon...

but if you like it .. and it compares close to specs.. then make your choice.. ask of the Rolex experts.. who are they??? look to the Rolex section and see what you come out with.. btw .. I'm not one of them B)

man typing out your username is like a short sentence

• 2 weeks later...

I know of two reps of the millgaus. They both suck. First uses the incorrect datejust case and band with a millgauss dial. Clearly not right since one of the best things about the GEN is its large size. They do make a 40mm case size REP but it's even worse than the 37mm version. They took the same small dial and just increased the size of the bezel. I'll be first in line when they finally get a good rep of this watch. It should be pretty simple. No mag or date to screw up. Band shouldn't be a problem.

As far has how rare the gen is, it's a little scarce but they can be found. It's unlikely that you'll be able to get a good deal (below MSRP) on one. The green tinted crystal is very rare. I have yet to see one in person. Some dealers are selling them for quite a bit above MSRP. I could see this version appreciating in the future.

Edited by trevor2079