When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why am I So Reluctant to Buy an Avenger Skyland?

takashi

Just today, I fixed the bezel on this model and reinstall the crystal (it failed 7 bar pressure test) but held out good for less than 5 atm.

Now it's back in action!... makes me think many many times before getting the new Avenger Skyland. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent rep (based on pictures alone, it is!). No matter, it won't match the amount of work that I have poured onto this watch.

Have fun people! Tomorrow will be my second last exams and I can't help but to keep starring at this watch :p

P7234095.jpg

P7234113.jpg

P7234119.jpg

P7234144.jpg

P7234150.jpg

P7234158.jpg

P7234163.jpg

Final specs:

ETA7750 Chronometer (Glycudur balance) movement.

Genuine Dial

Double Sided AR coating Latest Version from Jakub

Long chrono second hand from 2nd version Avenger Chrono Ti

Lello's Datewheel

I purposely put a black inner rehaut bezel to match the colour of hand pole (black). It's pretty difficult to capture the crystal! It really is that way under the sun.

Wow, a coincidence - I tried one on at lunchtime today, while looking for a Skyland so I could see if I could wear it.

The AD had very little stock, no Skylands but they did have the Ti Avenger.

I asked sales lady if it was similar dimension to the Skyland, she had no idea, actually she had no idea about all the other questions I asked too, sheesh.

Anyway, I was absolutely struck by the lightness and comfort of the Ti on such a massive watch, too bad I dislike Ti, looks like plastic.

The good news for me is that it looks like I could wear a Skyland and it wouln't look stupid, bad news I think it will be too heavy to be comfortable.

Guess I better start liking Ti.

Thanks for your compliments :)

@rek: I am pretty sure that Avenger Skyland will fit you nicely if you have tried this watch and the size is OK. On bracelet, the SS Skyland will definitely have much more weight. I am guessing that will be an extra 70-80 gram from this watch. So I am guessing that you still can wear it on strap comfortably.

I agree that the Skyland fills the gap pretty nicely for those who are seeking a good Avenger series replica at the moment.

Very nice Tak. I love my CA, but have to be in a special mood to wear it. Ti is not my favorite metal, and the CA has a military style to it. The Skyland is nice and heavy, shiny, and can be worn with just about anything. I think there's room in the watchbox for both!

Nice pics btw!

Yes I found this very good method. This watch came with really really loose bezel that can drop of anytime. You can either:

1. Use a rubber glue (non permanent) or

2. Use scotch tape at the side of the case before you install the bezel then trim it off after you install the bezel or

3. Use plactic protector that you get when you buy a new rep watch (usually on the bracelet, a thicker plastic) and put it surrounding the side of the case just outside the crystal then install the bezel then trim it off.

I use method 3.

No more wobbly bezel and the click feel much solid and smoother.

@andreww: Thanks, I agree there's always room for a Skyland (for collection and of course wearing it) but this watch definitely can hold me off buying Skyland at this moment.

I got one last time from someone in Germany (got both blue and black dials). Now he stops supplying "used but good condition/NOS" dials anymore. However, you still can find it once in a while on eBay. Changing to gen dial is worth it! I think I paid for about 100 Eur for both dials (back in the day when Eur is still 1.1 to USD).

Doc-

I probably got mine from the same seller as Tak. They do show up on ebay though. If by some miracle you have a blue one I have a spare gen blue dial. But you need to have the blue inner bezel. And they do often go cheap. I think I paid less than $30 for each.

Thanks Kruzer (Tak too for the tip) but alas it is a black dial naturellement.

Will keep my eyes peeled.