When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Now here's a question...?

Steve G

Ok. So I was in Wal Mart over the past weekend, picking up some automotive items. I'm perusing the various waxes/cleaners and such and out of the corner of my eye I see what looks like a guy with a huge cigar hanging out of his mouth. I stand up sure enough older gentleman browsing with a large unlit cigar. No big deal really but just a little odd to see, especially in Wal Mart.

Anyway this of course causes me to now glace at his wrist as I catch a glimpse of something gleeming. ( And you were worried this wouldn't be watch related. :D ) He's wearing a Sub. No big deal again, but now I get to play is it real or a rep with his watch very close to my face. Now I guessed real, based on the info I learned here and elsewhere, although I don't proclaim myself to be a rolex expert.

It had a nice raised crystal, good rehault depth, nice polished bracelet, good bezel etc.

My question is what is it about seeing a Sub in particular on someone else that at least in my mind our reps just seem to be lacking. I'm not talking about the nit pick things we discuss. To me it seems to be a size thing, they look bigger on someone else's wrist, more substantial. Is it all in the bezel thickness. I'm starting to ramble, but I hope someone can relate to what I'm trying to say. I mean I look down when I'm wearing my Sub (all the time) or my SSD for that matter, they seem small. I do wear other reps Breitlings, Panerai etc. Could it be I've become jaded to size and the appreciation of what my watches look like to others on my wrists? Or is there something about a genuine Sub that is missing in the reps.

Hope this makes sense.

I have read a few posts where people say that watches wear "larger" than they look on the wrist. I would have to agree with that. I have a friend that I sold a Noob Sub to and it looks big and has "presence". When I try it on it feels smallish, but now I know that it is just a perception issue.

I sort of relate it to how you think you know how your voice sounds to people until you hear it on an answering machine. Or...do you ever see yourself in pictures and think that you look totally different than if you were to look in a mirror? I think it is the same when you look at a watch on your wrist.

Anyway, just my .02

Thanks for that. I suppose your right it's a perception thing. Just funny how it's only rolex. I've seen gen Breitlings and they look right on par with mine. Maybe because with reps I've the luxury of changing watches often, different brands and sizes I've lost touch with how big they are or appear.

Again I'm not getting into how accurate the Sub is. I would assume despite accuracy of detail, the overall size or presence would be somewhat consistant with gen or rep.

Even if you were intimately familiar with that model (of gen), it would be very difficult to verify the watch's authenticity (or not) from the viewing distance of a stranger's arm, unless it was a Canal Street quality rep (very bad fake). But since you described yourself as a non-Rolex expert, your chances are slim-to-none.

Even if you were intimately familiar with that model (of gen), it would be very difficult to verify the watch's authenticity (or not) from the viewing distance of a stranger's arm, unless it was a Canal Street quality rep (very bad fake). But since you described yourself as a non-Rolex expert, your chances are slim-to-none.

I totally agree Freddy, in fact I love the opportunity when it arises to test my knowledge out in the field ^_^ I know it's not fair to claim it a gen or rep based on someone's appearance or age. In this instance I quickly abondoned that because it struck me how different it appeared on another person. That observation has happened a few times, which got me thinking that maybe rep and gen differences are more that just crown guards, rehault, etc. More of a size issue?

But I agree outside of a shoddy rep, it is very hard for me to tell. But when you do see what looks to be a good one, I find myself always leaning towards the gen assumption.

On another note. i do recall one time going into an AD. I slipped my sub into my pocket and proceeded to try on a gen. Funny now that I think about it the gen had the same cheap bracelet feel and I don't recall it fitting or wearing larger. i guess it must be a preception thing.

On another note. i do recall one time going into an AD. I slipped my sub into my pocket and proceeded to try on a gen.

And there was no "itch" to slip the gen into your pocket and replace the watches? :D

And there was no "itch" to slip the gen into your pocket and replace the watches? :D

:D:D Actually that particular store made me feel soooo uncomfortable I'd personally never buy from there. But I actually walked away pretty satisfied with my rep in both looks and feel to the original.