When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD Bezel Removal

roo

Has anyone been successful at removing the entire bezel of an SSD and then reassembling it without damage to the watch or bezel? I would really love some suggestions or guidance. :o

Thanks!

Welcome to RWG - where education is free, but the addiction is expensive! Please use the search button and you will find what you're looking for! SSD and Sub bezel removal should be the same....hint...hint! I believe if you look for a post of giormani about this subject, you'll get some good tips!

Goodluck!

Hike

Thanks Hike, I've searched and have read Gio's tutorial many times during my admittedly adolescent education into these things, but Gio only covers bezel insert removal, not the entire bezel. I remember reading awhile back that the SSD's were built differently or something along those lines and the entire bezel assembly was not easy to remove withour damage - which is why many developed the "leave the bezel on and just replace the insert" approach. If it is as easy as a regular sub or a gen, that would be great! I was just wanting confirmation from someone who has actually done it with an SSD before I scratched the crap out of my beautiful watch or damaged it. ;)

pfran42,

Point taken, but if no one has ever successfully removed the SSD bezel how can you be absolutely certain that a gen (or modded gen) would not fit?

I believe that I have read on one of the forums that the bezel diameters between the gen and rep SDs are off. Plus rehaut and crystal is wrong on this model. I don't think it is worth the effort but good luck to you if you decide to go through with it.

Here is a "for instance"

GEN on right:

IMG_2676.jpg

Also, the bezel on the SSD V2 is one of the lesser flaws. Here are the SSD V2 flaws as I see them:

Pearl sucks

Crown guards WAY too thick

Rehaut too thin (can't fix )

Rehaut too deep (can't fix)

Dial 5 minute markers are dead wrong

Back of end links (SELs) dead wrong

Crown etching at 6 o'clock is WAY too big

SELs don't fit tight enough

If I were to take on a project with the SSD V2, I would start with the things that make a large visual impact (pearl and crown guards)

Funny..I didn't realize all the things that were wrong with this watch till I wrote this list...and this is still my favorite watch!!!

Yes, I have seen that as well but I am interested in exploring.

So the question is still out there...Has anyone safely removed the entire bezel of an SSD?

i tried - but stopped - its the same league like the noobmariner -

at least on mine.

you can remove it, but be very very careful.

cheers,

Frank

I have done it on V1 and V2.....

You need a thin knife or anything else to do it..

Put the blade under the gap between case and Bezel.

Try to lift a bit and then go around the bezel and lift it more.

After this it comes off..

But be carefull otherwise you bent the Bezel...

Needs some force but it works