When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cost of cleaning?

golf645

My Pam 111 stopped after a good 5 years and I was told it would be 135 bucks to clean. Is there somewhere in SoCal OC that I can get it cleaned for less? Almost cheaper to buy a new watch! Guy says it needs oiling? Thanks

sorry - cant help you - but 5 years ! wow -

not bad for a Rep - do you have pics ?

Frank

Were it me (assuming your watchmaker is good & honest), I would have the watch properly overhauled (cleaned, lubed & adjusted). Considering that the movement you will get in a new rep will be unserviced & may also be of poorer quality than your current movement, having your existing (known good) movement put into proper working order would be a better option.

that 's not too much for a complete service...???

Oh I thought 1/3 the price of a rep was pricey. I got it from Eddie and it was a good solid one back then. It seems the new reps are much more accurate today than my 1st gen 111. Maybe I should sell it to someone who knows how to service it..

That is a very reasonable price and based on it, I would say your getting a full real servicing, meaning disassembly and cleaning and oiling. If it was $50 you would most likely be getting a swish-n-dip, meaning they immerse the complete movement in a liquid and call it servicing...

The problem with comparing the price of the rep to the servicing, is that servicing takes the same effort irregardless of the cost of the original watch.

If you were taking in your genuine $4000 PAM, $135 would be a bargain, but by taking in your $300 PAM it seems expensive...it isn't...

RG