When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Misaligned bezel on the 187

thomasng

c'mon guys...don't tell me all of that...now i am worried about mine...

now waiting for mine 187 to arrive is even more difficult...maybe mine arrives just perfect!....cause since now...ordered 8 reps...never ever had any issue with them...just a little probl with the 217...but i can live with that....

just hope that now, while i am waiting for the ultimate pam...my dream....will come true...and that i get a great watch...with some flaws(expected) but with no problems!

sorry, but i don't know how to help you guys with repairing the missalined bezel...maybe this post will be interesting to me in a few days...but I hope not!

It's all fixable (I think) . . . it just takes $$$$$$$. That's all.

And, patience also.

And, patience also.

And, being resourceful helps too.

I didn't want to make it seem like the watch was riddled with problems, what with the bezel marker falling off and all, but yeah, the bezel on my 187 is misaligned too.

Is there a fix? It seems to me that it would be tough unless there's some way to adjust the bezel insert within the bezel.

I think there's very little hope of fixing this. I haven't taken mine apart fully, but I'm guessing that the teeth that define the detent positions of the bezel and the marker cavities are stamped during formation of the bezel. So, this relationship is "etched in stone." The other alternative is to rotatably reposition whatever it is (spring loaded pin or ring with bent arms) that engages the bezel teeth. If it's a ring with bent arms that engages the bezel teeth, then perhaps there is hope of modifying the ring or length of the arms so that they engage the bezel teeth in a different position relative to the case. Without seeing the bezel apart from the case, these are just guesses. Does this make sense, or am I babbling? I'm basing my guess on the two different types of construction that I've seen in taking apart four rep submariners.

Edited by leitztozeiss

I'm guessing that there has to be a way to adjust it since my bezel is right on. So there has to be a position on the ratchet that corresponds correctly. Maybe it also has to do with the bezel itself, since I have heard some of you say that the bezel is loose. Mine is pretty tight and maybe this has something to do with it.

Eddy

My watchonpo version came with the bezel too tight but it did lines up properly. Mine has already been to Ziggy for subdial hand adjustment and relume and when it came back the bezel was loosened up just enough but still lines up. When he returns in September I will ask whether he did anything to it when he took it apart.

My bezel is reasonably tight at least, in that it doesn't turn as easily, it just requires a little force. I'm trying hard not to look at the misaligned bezel, but it's very hard for me not to unfortunately. :(

Apart from the stripped screws, everything else about this watch really impresses me. The sheer weight and size of this monster, and the incredible presence it provides on the wrist is just amazing. I have used the chrono movement 10 times since I recieved it, and no problems to report, everytime it starts and resets perfectly and smoothly.

Also keeping time bang on with the atomic clock for the past 10 hours. :D

Mine is a bit off too, but I can live with it. I've learned that these little glitches can turn into major problems. For example.

Here is the list of events I forsee for many members:

-You order your EL 187 quickly and frantically because its the hottest rep out.

-It arrives and you receive instant gratification. :3a:

-You wind it up, set the date, and the time.

-You push the chrono start button for the first time which is risky on the asian 7750s. :unsure:

-You let it run to break it in and lubricate itself.

-You take the next risky move and stop the chrono and reset it. :unsure:

-It resets to zero! :Jumpy: Yay!

-Now its time to screw down those pushers and never use them again unless theres like a threat of aliens attacking and you have precisely 22.75 hours to live. :bleh:

-You wear your watch for a few days and feel like a million bucks. B)

-After staring at your watch every time you walk past a mirror or drive your car you suddenly realize the bezel is misaligned by just a nut hair. :brow:

-You think "I must fix this horrible flaw or everyone will know its a fake!"

-So you go home and crack open the tackle box of tools that aren't really made for watch work :brow: .

-You pry and pry on the bezel bending every butter knife in your wifes collection :animal_rooster:

-You get the bezel off and realign it but when going to re-install it you bend it all to $hit.

-You now have a very expensive PAM Paperweight, limited to 1000 peices!

-If you are lucky and resourceful you obtain a replacement bezel, but when you get installed it suddenly hits you that you scratched the $hit out of the case removing the first one!

There you have it!

My newest motto is stolen from another member! Don't know who originally created it but it goes like this, "A rep is a rep!"

I'm very happy with my EL 187 thus far! Lets just say I won't be following the above series of events. I'll turn my bezel a little off position and wear it w/ great pride!

Cheers!

Jon :victory:

^^^ haha so true!

Back to the bezel issue, watchhonpo's bezels are also not aligned. One of my 187 is, the other two isn't.

I just realized that the 187 in Eddie's photo also has the misaligned bezel . . . so I guess I only have myself to blame for getting so excited about this watch, I didn't study the photos as closely as I should have. But it's still a bit disappointing for an "ultimate" $400 (nondiscounted) rep.

My bezel as you can see in the next photo is perfectly aligned.. but a bit loose.

I think that there is a way to fix both as Eddy said.. The big point is that is it bothers you either problem that much to do it.

81463-30283.jpg

Mine is a bit off too, but I can live with it. I've learned that these little glitches can turn into major problems. For example.

Here is the list of events I forsee for many members:

-You order your EL 187 quickly and frantically because its the hottest rep out.

-It arrives and you receive instant gratification. :3a:

-You wind it up, set the date, and the time.

-You push the chrono start button for the first time which is risky on the asian 7750s. :unsure:

-You let it run to break it in and lubricate itself.

-You take the next risky move and stop the chrono and reset it. :unsure:

-It resets to zero! :Jumpy: Yay!

-Now its time to screw down those pushers and never use them again unless theres like a threat of aliens attacking and you have precisely 22.75 hours to live. :bleh:

-You wear your watch for a few days and feel like a million bucks. B)

-After staring at your watch every time you walk past a mirror or drive your car you suddenly realize the bezel is misaligned by just a nut hair. :brow:

-You think "I must fix this horrible flaw or everyone will know its a fake!"

-So you go home and crack open the tackle box of tools that aren't really made for watch work :brow: .

-You pry and pry on the bezel bending every butter knife in your wifes collection :animal_rooster:

-You get the bezel off and realign it but when going to re-install it you bend it all to $hit.

-You now have a very expensive PAM Paperweight, limited to 1000 peices!

-If you are lucky and resourceful you obtain a replacement bezel, but when you get installed it suddenly hits you that you scratched the $hit out of the case removing the first one!

There you have it!

My newest motto is stolen from another member! Don't know who originally created it but it goes like this, "A rep is a rep!"

I'm very happy with my EL 187 thus far! Lets just say I won't be following the above series of events. I'll turn my bezel a little off position and wear it w/ great pride!

Cheers!

Jon :victory:

I don't have a choice but to pry off the bezel, since I have to replace the faulty one I got. I imagine over time I won't be the only one. And while a misaligned bezel is not a minor issue, a minor issue on a huge watch kinda becomes a medium sized issue.

Edited by kanerich

I received yesterday my 187 from EL. It is misaligned as well but I figured out that if you put the bezel at the 45 mark on top (at 12) and the arrow on the 3mark then it sits correct!

I love this watch. It is a beast and it feels very heavy and expensive