When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tourbillion question

ironmarshal

I've recently been bitten by the tourbillion bug and since I'm a big fan of Breguet, and given their history with tourbillions, I'm really liking the Breguet Flying Tourbillion. Two problems: 1) I've read that these typically have the first generation of the Chinese tourbillion movements (which I read somewhere were somewhat less than reliable), and 2) they've been phased out. I know homer sells a tourbillion with a very nice movement, only I'm not sold on the dial (I like the cleanness of the guilloche pattern on the Breguet).

If I can somehow source a Breguet tourby, and the movement fails would it possible to do a movement swap using one of Homer's movements, or any other known new generation, reliable Chinese tourby movement, or are they going to be different sizes and therefore not transferrable?

Ideally I'd like to get the Breguet rep with the upgraded movement, is this doable?

Thanks.

here is what i know about doing mods that may seem like a good idea, but no one has tried.

It will cost you lots of money and probably not work :)

get the homer tourby, learn to love it. Or go on ebay and find another millionsmart (maker of homer tourby) watch branded with some random name - and most likely pay more than the homer tourby.

http://www.millionsmart.com/e/default_home.asp check em out

personally, i think the homer tourby is perfect

Be careful! I wanted the Breguet tourbillon too, but these have a huge glaring flaw. On many models the word "GUILLOCHE" is mis-spelled to read "OUILLOCHE". This is just a tragic Chinese slip of translation but in my opinion kills the watch.

Regarding the movement: there is nothing to fear. I have a Audemars Piguet Tourbillon replica with the Sea-Gull manual winding Blancpain clone 1-min cage and it is something like 2 years old, I bought it preowned. The guy who owned it before me used it as a daily beater and it is still going strong. The watches are worth the money but remember to BUY SMART. Don't be a fool and get a watch like this from Josh/Andrew but choose a dealer who will quality control it for you. Because at these prices, and with a watch this delicate, you want it to be right the first time around.

Don't be a fool and get a watch like this from Josh/Andrew but choose a dealer who will quality control it for you. Because at these prices, and with a watch this delicate, you want it to be right the first time around.

At this point, I'm leaning toward just buying the Homer Tourby, and at some point possibly swapping the hands, since that's the only part of the watch that I'm not really thrilled with. But if I look at other tourbillion's which dealers would you recommend buying from that will quality control it for me? I agree with your point about being careful. I definately want to be careful with this purchase, and future tourbillion purchases.

At this point, I'm leaning toward just buying the Homer Tourby, and at some point possibly swapping the hands, since that's the only part of the watch that I'm not really thrilled with. But if I look at other tourbillion's which dealers would you recommend buying from that will quality control it for me? I agree with your point about being careful. I definately want to be careful with this purchase, and future tourbillion purchases.

As far as I know Narikaa can get you any tourbillon you want with full QC inspection before shipping.

Who are the sellers that review the merchanside? Could you please give me the most trusted ones?