When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How many reps are manufactured usually

sul

Yes, we will never know. I do know that in general the minimum has always been 100-150 pieces for high end pieces (ignoring the $2,500 one-offs) and actually I have found that to be true with many gens (below $50,000 of course). I spoke with one of the owners of a jewelry store that has many exclusives from the gen manufacturers (Chopard, AP, Hublot, etc.) and the minimum order with them is 100-150 which they usually get in batches of 50. Then again the gens will be derivations of existing watches - different dial or materials, custom engraving, etc. But even that small a run in the rep world will often have follow-ons with the manufacturer having done all the set-up and sourcing. Or they will come up with the usual rep and dial variations. I do know that as we have seen reps grow in sophistication so have the required minimums. I have never heard of a $500+ rep have less than a 300 piece minimum in the last couple of years - even if it is a derivative piece of an existing model. Finally, if a manufacturer goes to the trouble to source a new movement from one of the movement manufacturers I believe the minimum on movements is closer to a 1,000 or more. This info is simply pieced together over the years from dealers/manufacturers both rep and gen and is mostly anecdotal so take it for what it is worth. And obviously I am not talking about the $50 Rolexes. God only knows. :lol:

See I would tend to think it would have to be a much higher number - or we are getting a lot more exclusive product than the original, right? I mean, the fiddy as an example, they make just under 2,000 units a year of the gen, selling for $25,000 a piece; but our reps, even the super reps, you will pick up for under $500 for it. For a piece that has maybe 1,000 units produced a year? Sure, QC and the rest isn't as good, but it just doesn't make sense to be producing such low numbers. Especially when they are easily accessible, unlike the much more expensive gen.

but our reps, even the super reps, you will pick up for under $500 for it. For a piece that has maybe 1,000 units produced a year?

Firstly, which version of the Fiddy are you talking about? Every little factory in China will have a Fiddy, so they may only make 500 a year each, however it's most likely a lot more cases. The same fiddy case is used in these $500 superfiddies that is used in the $100 bargainfiddies.

What you have to remember is break-even is exceedingly low in China. You need a run of merely 150-500 super-reps to make it profitable on Chinese wages and economy.