When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are you comfortable with big watch?

magagne

Comfortable with big watch?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Comfortable with big watch?

• Yes
    • No. My wrist can handle it, but I find them silly

I have a 6.5" wrist (tiny) and love big watches.

My favorite is a 49mm bentley and I have a Super Avenger on its way. Big watches are uncomfortable though by the end of a day, but I couldn't care less.

I also have smaller watches. I wear my sub regularly and also a chopard and tag (both 42mm)

I am 6'2" though so big watches don't really look out of place. I wear them loose too which adds to the effect.

Couldn't really give two shiits what anyone else thinks, if its frowned upon by the watch community. I always get compliments on my watches and love the look of an oversized piece.

I agree with several others that it depends on both the watch and the wearer, my own preference is for larger watches, at 6' tall with 8" wrists, I can wear most 44/45mm watches quite comfortably, but I wouldn't really want to go much bigger than 47mm.

My daily watch is the 45mm PO, and I absolutely love it - it's relatively flat profile sits perfectly on my wrist, and fits under all of my work shirts, whereas my SFSO feels top heavy and awkward.

I really like some of the old vintage rollies, and would love a 5512 or 1655, but when I tried to wear a sub, my wife laughed and commented that it looked like a 'ladies watch'; but that could just be that she's so used to me wearing oversize watches, or that she just wanted the sub for herself ;)

Its interesting to see that some maintain this notion that 40mm is the optimum size - where did this come from? Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing that this may well be the optimum size, and, statistically speaking it may cover up to the 90th percentile, which would be sufficient ground to support such a claim, but......

if we went back to first principles and did a clean-sheet design for a watch, today, it's size would be a factor of several components,

• mechanism size/type
    cost
    average wrist size of target market
    dial/hand size for readability
    use, i.e. would it need to be waterproof, shockproof etc.

The variables inherent in each of the above would seem to indicate that the resultant design solution would either be a 'one size fits all' broad compromise, or several different designs.

Wear whatever makes you happy :D