When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did panerai develop the "Fang" to make repping difficult?

Gil

I have been admiring the PAM 233 and 270 models that utilize Panerai's new in house movements and the "Fang" power reserve indicator. For you more knowledgeable watch experts out there, did Panerai utilize this design/layout to make replicating their watches more difficult? This type of design seems unlike any other manufacturer.

Thanks!

I have been admiring the PAM 233 and 270 models that utilize Panerai's new in house movements and the "Fang" power reserve indicator. For you more knowledgeable watch experts out there, did Panerai utilize this design/layout to make replicating their watches more difficult? This type of design seems unlike any other manufacturer.

Thanks!

Yes and no, IMO. The linear power reserve indicator is something that takes a lot of work to get right, even in the gen world. Panerai did it as another selling point to their new inhouse movements. It also happens to be impossible for the Chinese movement makers to do at the moment.

Given the speed of advances in the Chinese movements, it won't stay un-repped forever, I'd wager.

It also happens to be impossible for the Chinese movement makers to do at the moment.

Given the speed of advances in the Chinese movements, it won't stay un-repped forever, I'd wager.

I hope in about 2-3 years the chinese are able to copy a whole movement properly ;)

there is a member on the RG forum who is as well a delaer at ioffer who claims that this one has been replicated with the functioning PR...don't know how the movement looks like...I've asked him a couple of times to post photos but he refuses to do so...

he said the price for these is 1400$ and that all the pieces are sold out and that there is a waiting list for them...

cannot say that he speaks the truth or not...it seems that he has still a source for the hard abtainable PAM027/028 and PAM029 with the 2892//2893 movements....

there is a member on the RG forum who is as well a delaer at ioffer who claims that this one has been replicated with the functioning PR...don't know how the movement looks like...I've asked him a couple of times to post photos but he refuses to do so...

he said the price for these is 1400$ and that all the pieces are sold out and that there is a waiting list for them...

cannot say that he speaks the truth or not...it seems that he has still a source for the hard abtainable PAM027/028 and PAM029 with the 2892//2893 movements....

$1400 for a REP?!?!?!?!?! :o

That's beyond ridiculous. If those really are available and they are all sold out, PT Barnum was right -- There *is* a sucker born every minute.

I might be interested in a 2893 powered 029, though. Can you PM me the info for this fella?

Edited by peepshow