When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lunchtime thrill

andreww

A work buddy and I took the subway uptown over the lunch to look at some high end watch shops. Lots of great stuff, but one watch caught my eye in particular. A brand new Panerai 192 Tantalium. Now I've owned the rep for a couple of years but have never seen the real thing in person. I quickly summoned the clerk and had him pull the 192 out from behind its protective glass. Wow! what a thrill it was to strap this $36,000 beauty on to my wrist. The camel colored strap matched the dark (much darker than ti btw) tantalium beautifully, and if anyone knows where I can get an accurate rep of that strap for deployant clasp, I'd appreciate it. The gen has slightly narrower subdial spacing, a wider insert, but really, the rep isn't that bad. The feel of the CG was similar, as was the feel whilst winding. The hand color is pretty similar, but the finish of the dial seemed slightly different.

Anyway, it was just a thrill to actually wear the gen!

Picture149.jpg

pam192_1169_general.jpg

1110536208985_000192_vista1.jpg

You are correct my friend. Beautiful store, never been there before, and it was my first chance to view brands like VC and Panerai up close. Also went to La Swiss down the street and got my first look at the blue skyland. Looked really impressive on the blue diver strap!

You are correct my friend. Beautiful store, never been there before, and it was my first chance to view brands like VC and Panerai up close. Also went to La Swiss down the street and got my first look at the blue skyland. Looked really impressive on the blue diver strap!

It's a fun place. Did you go over to the AP area too? :D

It's a fun place. Did you go over to the AP area too? :D

Sure did! Actually was more impressed with the APs than the Hublots. Also, it made me realize how far behind Rolex is getting. Nice to see all the subs and daytona's, but there is nothing new or imaginative.

Here's my 192 btw, couldn't wait to get home and throw it on :)

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

One lucky Dude to find one let alone get to wear it.

The best strap I think is the OEM Monte Carlo they come up on risti every now then for about $150.

Its funny the 192 is the rep that you actually want to look a bit more wokky, but i have to say I prefer the rep's subdial spacing for some reason.

I was lucky to pick this up in that it had been OXY'd quite nicely so is darker.

p6252271in3.jpg

Here's mine on a Gabo

p6252278kj8.jpg

I've been debating if i should send it to K2222 for some AR, how did you think the AR was on the GEN, do you think this made a difference on the dial and hands colour?

Cheers

ST4

Awesome find. Wasn't the 192 a limited edition of just a few hundred?

I had to pull my own 192 out to compare against your pictures. In your pictures, which strap is the most accurate? You'e almost sold me that I need to get a camel-colored strap as well.

The third pic looks the most accurate. I've been able to locate a tang buckle in that color, but nothing for deployant.

I've been debating if i should send it to K2222 for some AR, how did you think the AR was on the GEN, do you think this made a difference on the dial and hands colour?

Cheers

ST4

The gen has single sided AR (inside) and gives off a purple hue. As for whether it makes a difference, its hard to tell. It seemed like the blue hands and dial detail were easier to see, but that may have been due to the perfect AD lighting.