When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So for the price of a rep, how about these pilot watches?

dylan

Ok,

So I really dig the pilot-style handwound watches...However,

the affordable ones like Steinhart/Debaufre come in 47mm ++ sizes and I just cannot pull it off.

I think Ticino makes a cheap one, < $150 w. A6497.

Recently, Steinhart/Debaufre has come out with a 44mm version on a really nice strap for $575...superlume...ETA 6497...very nice: $575 without upgraded

boxset.

When it comes to ETA 6497 based watches, my own personal limit is around $600 (about the same amount for a fully tricked out

PAM 6497 rep)

NavB-44-debaufre.jpg

Then randomly while I was at a watch store at the Short Hills Mall I was perusing through some of their

stuff...some IWCs...Ball...Breits....1 x PAM 187 (in the back safe)...As I'm walking out, I stop at the Hamilton

counter (been a big fan of Hammies) my eyes get drawn to one of their khaki watches...its really funny

what you notice after you get into this hobby...but my eyes got caught on the unmistakable 9 o'clock subdial secs

of a ETA 6497. Also, the back is cool...its a closed caseback with an exhibition area for the

needle regulator. Its got various engravings like 'ETA 6497'

Retail Price: $595.

Sweet....not only that but they've got some nice double rivetted straps in 22mm for their watches..

hamilton-khaki-mechanical-picasa.jpg

So I go home doing some research.

-ETA 6497

-44 mm pilot style case

-sapphire crystal

-superlume

-gen Hamilton (long history & I have a personal attachment to this brand)

-2 yr Hamilton Warranty

Instead of the double rivetted Hammy strap, I've decided to go with the Debaufre aviator strap for it, because color is so gorgeous

(at least on their website).

Everything should be coming soon....

debaufre-strap.jpg

seriously, dont bother with the steinharts! Look at tourbys.

The Steinharts have thin cases, therefore the crown will dig into your wrist. I have seen so many members complain about this uncomfort...

That may be true on the 47mm B-Uhrs, which have the large diamond crown...but I doubt it's the case on the new 44mm, which has a smaller onion shaped crown.

brands like debaufe and invicta are just nock offs of big brands like iwc, rolex BR, etc

its teh prett y much same looking watch just with differnt dial

id ont believe that the swiss 6417 movts are really that in debaufes

i think they are asians as we buy in our reps, or atleast asian assembeld swiss movts. all in all the watches are allllllllll made in china

just buy reps

brands like debaufe and invicta are just nock offs of big brands like iwc, rolex BR, etc

its teh prett y much same looking watch just with differnt dial

id ont believe that the swiss 6417 movts are really that in debaufes

i think they are asians as we buy in our reps, or atleast asian assembeld swiss movts. all in all the watches are allllllllll made in china

just buy reps

I think you might be making the common mistake of confusing Steinhart with Steinhausen, which are Asian knockoffs. Do a little reading about Steinhart/Debaufre on the gen boards, and you'll discover that they are very well regarded. True, they are not one of the original 5 flieger watch manufacturers (Wempe, A. Lange, Laco, Stowa, IWC), but they are high quality hommage pieces.

the unbranded watches i like debaufe had one

frankly when i tell people that i ordered the parts and had the thing put together (as in my 666 and skawronek projects) it gets more wow than if it were an IWC or AP.

i'd never seen that debaufe before - i wouldn't buy their straps for 50 or 70 bucks, but for 13 or whatever dave got the one on ebay - i'd do that all day and twice on tuesdays

He got the buckle for $13 from Ebay not the strap :)

I just ordered one of their straps myself.

ohhh well thats not as special.

i dunno i used to think dropping 100 bucks on leather was crazy. but having bought from 90 percent of the usual suspects of strap makers. hktan creating yor own strap color size all of that. it really is better.

the wait sucks but - the right strap makes such a difference.

i am planning a strap pictoral soon :) along with the new phoband 2008 lineup.