When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A better SSD?

pfran42

Not sure if I can post pics from a non recommended dealer but I was following another thread on a different forum and I found a "1:1, Super Rep" of a Sea Dweller.

It states that it is the correct 14.5mm thickness so I am assuming that it is in the SSD family.

The main things I noticed vs. the current SSD V2 are:

Good

1. Rehaut is deep and actually has some thickness

2. 5 min markers are thicker (per gen)

3, Back of SELs are not imprinted with the oyster bracelet pattern (per gen)

Bad

1. Grown guards look bad IMO

2. SELs are a little loose

3. Pearl is crappy

Unknown

1. Is the crown stem fat like the current SSD V2?

2. Does the crown look like the right size?

There are three major improvements on this model IMHO and if it is constructed like the current SSD V2 we may have a winner?!

I would love to hear the experts weigh in on this. I never stray from the trusted dealers but I wonder why they don't have access to this (if in fact this is a good copy). Also the price is reasonable with a claimed Swiss ETA 2836 movement.

Here are some pics:

(BTW, site makes a point to stated that the pics are of watches that are actually in inventory and that they are not pics of gens)

Fire away gentlemen....

rolex-sea-dweller-swiss-eta-2836-movement-super-1-1-version-watch--19454--2.jpg

rolex-sea-dweller-swiss-eta-2836-movement-super-1-1-version-watch--19454--3.jpg

rolex-sea-dweller-swiss-eta-2836-movement-super-1-1-version-watch--19454--4.jpg

rolex-sea-dweller-swiss-eta-2836-movement-super-1-1-version-watch--19454--7.jpg

rolex-sea-dweller-swiss-eta-2836-movement-super-1-1-version-watch--19454--8.jpg

Don't buy from them, that is not a place you want to buy from.....

Pick up a Super Sea Dweller from one of our on site dealers.....

Like here: http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1889 Or here: http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=276

There are many others dealers to select from, so stay away from scam sites or unknown quantities, why risk it when there is absolutely no need to? ;)

The links I provided you are for the best Sea Dweller you can buy at this time, it is not perfect (what rep is), but there are none better...

Cheers! B)

Don't buy from them, that is not a place you want to buy from.....

Pick up a Super Sea Dweller from one of our on site dealers.....

Like here: http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1889 Or here: http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=276

There are many others dealers to select from, so stay away from scam sites or unknown quantities, why risk it when there is absolutely no need to? ;)

The links I provided you are for the best Sea Dweller you can buy at this time, it is not perfect (what rep is), but there are none better...

Cheers! B)

Thanks but I already have the SSD V2 which you state is the current best you can buy. It has glaring issues that have apparently been addressed my my "Good" points 1-3 above.

How can you say "The links I provided you are for the best Sea Dweller you can buy at this time" when I just showed you pictures that address three of the horrible flaws found on Jandrews/Angus/Ruby's sites?

All I am saying is that this SD looks better (I think) than the one I picked up for $278.00 from Andrew

Note the minute markers and rehaut from Andrew's SSD V2

0a23dbfc3c03188bfeb69c6facc832ab.image.750x498.JPG

Now look at the rehaut and minute markers on the new one I found (closer to gen?)

rolex-sea-dweller-swiss-eta-2836-movement-super-1-1-version-watch--19454--3.jpg

Now look at the SELs from Trusty (Andrew)

5c46221081aea98f5bd0c9209729290c.image.750x498.JPG

And compare them to the SELs on the new one I found (closer to gen?)

rolex-sea-dweller-swiss-eta-2836-movement-super-1-1-version-watch--19454--4.jpg

Well I would not risk buying from a site I know nothing about for a start.....

Plus if this was a better SD, why have we not seen it from our known dealers? Also in the photos you can't really see the bezel thickness from that angle, I thought the V2 SSD had a nice thick bezel like the gen?

The helium valve looks way to dark too and perhaps the biggest flaw, the date window looks way too big and too far to the right...

Cheers! B)

I actually have this very same replica that pfran posted pictures of. I got it used from another member over at RWI (I forget where he said it originally came from). I will say this, its a nice looking rep, but take a look at the date window, its too square and too far to the right, which is why the previous owner did not keep it. I got it for cheap, so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. My camera stuff is put away, but I'll try to post pics of it if you like tomorrow night. While it is much like the SSD, its not quite there, the crystal is of good height, but it does not have the right chamfering on the crystal edge like the SSD (which may be why the rehaut looks different), and it does have good dial printing, but not as good as the dial printing on the SSD. There is not much I could do about the date window issue, so I UV glued a cyclop over it and made it look like a pseudo Submariner and that works for me. I have held it next to a SSD and I still like the SSD better, but its your call if you want to chance a vendor outside the recomended ones here and at the other forums. Like I said, I got into this one by chance used. Oh, and also, mine has an ETA (or at least a movement stamped ETA) in it, and it runs very smooth and keeps real good time.

Happy hunting...

Well I would not risk buying from a site I know nothing about for a start.....

Plus if this was a better SD, why have we not seen it from our known dealers? Also in the photos you can't really see the bezel thickness from that angle, I thought the V2 SSD had a nice thick bezel like the gen?

The helium valve looks way to dark too and perhaps the biggest flaw, the date window looks way too big and too far to the right...

Cheers! B)

Good call on the date window! I didn't notice that earlier. I also agree with you that the HEV is a tad too dark. I too was interested in getting a better look at the bezel on this one but what I have posted are the only pics I could find.

Thanks for the feedback!

Good call on the date window! I didn't notice that earlier. I also agree with you that the HEV is a tad too dark. I too was interested in getting a better look at the bezel on this one but what I have posted are the only pics I could find.

Thanks for the feedback!

No problem, happy to help! :)

You should do what I did with my SSD, get the CG's trimmed and if you can, install a gen Rolex bezel/pearl, makes a world of difference :D

I actually have this very same replica that pfran posted pictures of. I got it used from another member over at RWI (I forget where he said it originally came from). I will say this, its a nice looking rep, but take a look at the date window, its too square and too far to the right, which is why the previous owner did not keep it. I got it for cheap, so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. My camera stuff is put away, but I'll try to post pics of it if you like tomorrow night. While it is much like the SSD, its not quite there, the crystal is of good height, but it does not have the right chamfering on the crystal edge like the SSD (which may be why the rehaut looks different), and it does have good dial printing, but not as good as the dial printing on the SSD. There is not much I could do about the date window issue, so I UV glued a cyclop over it and made it look like a pseudo Submariner and that works for me. I have held it next to a SSD and I still like the SSD better, but its your call if you want to chance a vendor outside the recomended ones here and at the other forums. Like I said, I got into this one by chance used. Oh, and also, mine has an ETA (or at least a movement stamped ETA) in it, and it runs very smooth and keeps real good time.

Happy hunting...

Thanks for the info. I will steer clear due to the date window. I would however like to try out that bracelet as it appears closer to gen (as long as it has hollow center links).

No problem, happy to help! :)

You should do what I did with my SSD, get the CG's trimmed and if you can, install a gen Rolex bezel/pearl, makes a world of difference :D

I did that the first day I got it. It looks good..I just wish I could source a correct dial with the fatter 5 min markers....and a more correct bracelet.

...and that wraps up our lesson for the night boys and girls.

Stay away from the Idol Replica "1:1" Sea Dweller and here is why:

1. Date window on dial is too large and too far to the right

2. Crystal does not have the right chamfering on the crystal edge.

3. Helium valve is too dark

4. It does not come from a trusted dealer

See, we all learned something...