When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My UPO - Replaced the dial all by myself

Kahn

Here's my story:

Bought a UPO and got 2 dials as extras. Good thing too, as the dial it was sporting had glue spots from a failed "re-sticky of bad lume" adventure from the previous owner! I couldn't stand seeing this thing like this! It was heartbeaking! Let me also tell you, I have NEVER, EVER done this before. Heck, I took the caseback off and looked, but, never messed around inside. I kept looking at one of the dials which had "super-luminova" applied. Sure did glow bright....but had one tiny little flaw at just below one o'clock. Ah, what to do?

So, at around my third cup of coffee, I said screw it, I can't take it anymore. I unscrewed the caseback and went to work! 3 hours later, I had the dial swapped! Not really a big deal at all. And I used NO SPECIAL TOOLS. (Other than a jeweler's eyeglass screwdriver and a very nice pick) Let me stonewall a couple flames for that last statement! I plan to replace the hands, dial, crown, & tube real soon. I didnt really care if i buggered up the hands or the dial. I didnt throw caution to the wind, but I had no fear either. As you can see, I didn't hurt a thing! Let me also say, I had to do this twice because there was a tiny spec of hair on the dial AFTER I reassembled, but the second time around, I had it all apart in 15 minutes and back together after another 20. I sure coulda used some Rodico, but that too is why I'm off to Ofrie's site (thanks again R2D4), and order me some parts! Tell me what you think!

P.S. ---This crystal has the weakest AR ever!

1479dd11561139.gif3f66ff11561140.gif2cb2f211561141.gif5a74bc11561143.gifb0cb9411561144.gif

10d8c611561145.gife5c2a411561146.gif

First let me say congratulations!!! I understand your joy and happiness as yesterday I went through almost the same procedure on mine UPO! I smashed it on the hotel tiles and two hour markers and the logo and the insert and pearl fell off! I had to go through all that you did to reglue them back on!

Well done to you!

One little question though, where are the silver outlines of the hour markers?! Where did this dial come from?

Those hands look a bit marked unfortunately...Either that or you left some fingerpirnts on them.

Definatly Fingerprints! Thats why I needed some Rodico.

Do gen Omega dial have same ETA feet?

Yes - direct fit from what I understand.

Nice job! Very encouraging too as I'm trying to work up the courage to do a little work on one of my own watches...Just waiting for the tools to arrive now

Just go for it! What's the worst that could happen? Really - I did alot of reading before even beginning. If you get to a tough spot or have a question, maybe I could help!

Where is your second hand on the pic? I can't find it...

It's there! Look at the lume shot - you'll see it making a 5 sec sweep!

One little question though, where are the silver outlines of the hour markers?! Where did this dial come from?

Here's the thing, whoever lumed this dial did a very uniform job, the covered every bit of silver on every hour marker! It's OK for now, till I buy that gen dial! Did yours go back together OK? Sure hope so....

Get a dial from Silix and take the Omega logo off his dial and put it on your dial.

Thanks, but I'm just gonna get the Gen...I actually have the Silix dial (as a spare) but didnt want to mess it up with my first attempt.