When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Pam GMTs still available with 2893 movement?

rek001

Please pardon my ignorance.

I'm thinking of getting a Pam GM, preferably with the 2893 movement.

Are they still in production, I read somewhere Eddie Lee saying they are going out of production, but I see dealers currently offering them with this movement.

So what's the story?

Thanks much for responding!

Please pardon my ignorance.

I'm thinking of getting a Pam GM, preferably with the 2893 movement.

Are they still in production, I read somewhere Eddie Lee saying they are going out of production, but I see dealers currently offering them with this movement.

So what's the story?

Thanks much for responding!

2893 Movements are still available. Just ask your favorite dealer! :p

I have Pm'ed and Emailed almost all of the dealers as well as a couple of dealers from China selling on Ebay, everyone says the 2893-2 GMt movement is no longer available. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I have been trying for several weeks to find a Rolex GMT Master II with the 2893-2 movement. I was told that the movement is no longer available to Rep manufacturers. :angry::angry:

I believe that the Swatch group who owns ETA is tightning the noose. It may come to pass in the not too distant future that ETA movements are no longer available to anyone. Swatch tried that about 2 years ago, and it got knocked down by the Swiss watch regulatory agency. They claimed that it would put many smaller brands out of business, as almost everyone uses ETA at least as the base movement in their watches.

I would say if you can get Swiss ETA movement reps, you better do it now, because they are going to get harder and harder to come by.

Thanks for the resposes, guys.

I just checked Josh and Ms King's websites and they both offer Pam GMTs with the 2893 movements.

So I am a bit confused.

The 2893 movement is still available in existing reps. The sense is that the factories still have inventory of the watches but the movements are now difficult for the factories to get. So there is concern that there may not be future runs of existing or new models with the 2893 GMT movement. Time will tell. :)

Thanks for your responses.

Now I remember reading that EL says the 2893 movement is somewhat problematic, he's had more than a few sent back for repair, difficult to repair too. EL said the 2836 is a real workhorse, and more stable.

That has me a bit skittish, the 2893 version is pretty expensive.

Actually, I don't really need a GMT with a true 2nd timezone, maybe I shoud get it with the 2836 instead?

I found the link for this 2893 discussion:

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1135&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=2893&start=15

Something about the way the hands are attached to the movement and indexed, if not done with some skill, per Zig, you have problems.

So it's not the movement of course. it's the hands installation. And we all know what high level of skill is employed in the assembly of our reps.

Thanks for your responses.

Now I remember reading that EL says the 2893 movement is somewhat problematic, he's had more than a few sent back for repair, difficult to repair too. EL said the 2836 is a real workhorse, and more stable.

That has me a bit skittish, the 2893 version is pretty expensive.

Actually, I don't really need a GMT with a true 2nd timezone, maybe I shoud get it with the 2836 instead?

The 2836-2 Exp2 I got from Eddie does in fact support 2 time zones by allowing independent adjustment of the hour hand, but the only problem with this watch is that the date changeover is fixed to the GMT hand passing 0:00.

• 2 weeks later...