When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will a ETA 2824-2 fit a SSD?

riffram

I need to put a new ETA in a SSD--the one it came with is a 2836-2--

Can I put in a 2824-2 in its place? The 2836 sold at OFrei is a day and date movement, and the 2824 is a date only that looks more correct--most dimentions are the same, but height on the 2836 is half a mm or so thicker, and I wonder if that would mess up where the crown inserts?

I can't find a source for a 2836 with a date wheel only--

please give me insight on what I need to get-and were to find it.

Riff

I can't specifically answer for a SSD, but in the Datejust they are interchangeable. So. I would assume they are. The most important thing is making sure you get the movement with tall hand pins. If you get the wrong size and have to change them from the old movement, it's definitely a job for a watch smith, not an amateur. The standard size won't work.

And don't worry about the day wheel. It doesn't show with the dial in place.

Stick to the 2836. There is a height difference in the position of the stem; roughly half a mm or so. Doesn't sound like much, but that difference can mean a snapped stem.

2836-2 is indeed a day/date movement, but the day wheel can be removed easily; just a circlip and the wheel comes off leaving the date in place.

Stick to the 2836. There is a height difference in the position of the stem; roughly half a mm or so. Doesn't sound like much, but that difference can mean a snapped stem.

2836-2 is indeed a day/date movement, but the day wheel can be removed easily; just a circlip and the wheel comes off leaving the date in place.

Great--I'll get the 2836--but I'm not sure how I can reach the clip to unfasten and remove the large day wheel inside the date wheel. (I'm going to leave the date wheel on, and just glue the SSD overlay onto it).

I thought that just lifted off, once the dial is off--any trick to removing it??

Actually--can I just leave the day wheel on--since it's covered--or will it cause problems??

Riff

Edited by riffram

Great--I'll get the 2836--but I'm not sure how I can reach the clip to unfasten and remove the large day wheel inside the date wheel. (I'm going to leave the date wheel on, and just glue the SSD overlay onto it).

I thought that just lifted off, once the dial is off--any trick to removing it??

Actually--can I just leave the day wheel on--since it's covered--or will it cause problems??

Riff

If you don't know how to get the day wheel off, swapping dial/hands and possibly having to reset the keyworks might be a little daunting. (Keyworks usually don't have to be reset, but it happens maybe 1 in 10 times).

Can I ask what is the problem with your current 2836?

Actually, I've done three dial and movement swaps before, and replaced hands--rep to gen omega and rep to better rep but with better lume--with no problems--just haven't had to remove an inner day wheel, and couldn't see the clip on the OFRei photo. Looks easy, obviously.

and my SSD won't self wind--even though the gears in the winding deck are moving fine in both directions, and there is no apparant problem--and the watch works fine if wound by hand--I have decided that I'd rather do a swap myself than send it off for a repair for about the same (or more) cost once you include shipping. Also, the crown guards, pearl and bezel have been modded and replaced so well on this that I want to keep using them.

Edited by riffram